What is your plan for re-opening?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Haha... for sure come on over! When safe!

Yeah honestly I think they've done a tremendous job considering... I honestly really feel for the state premier who has said time and time again that he's not here to make comfortable, easy or popular decisions, and that he takes no pleasure in doing so.

Even though there are many throwing stones at them and not happy with some decisions and there have been some blunders along the way, he's got a ridiculous amount on his plate but has done his best to keep us all safe.

I am envious of your country and government. Here in the U.S. the tide of the current social mentality is very hard to navigate. I cannot imagine being in a high level government position right now. As always the right decisions are there to discover but wading through the muck to get to them is very, very tough right now.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am envious of your country and government. Here in the U.S. the tide of the current social mentality is very hard to navigate. I cannot imagine being in a high level government position right now. As always the right decisions are there to discover but wading through the muck to get to them is very, very tough right now.

Yeah... I don't know how they be able to relax, or take time to wind down... the calls they have to make and the information they have to be on top of... and how many millions of lives can be affected... yikes...

And seriously it seems no matter what decisions they make they're gonna cop flak from someone

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our state capital and surrounding areas have been put back into Stage 3 lockdowns... for at least 6 weeks...

And to add on to the previous increases... :s

b661106d92cba36ed35e03881e92c493.jpg

Admittedly there are craaazy amounts of tests being done, but alarming just how many coming back positive...

I've been keeping an eye on a fair few dojos in that area, and they were all so excited to be getting people back into dojos training, and now they have to go back to online training for 6 weeks or more during this lockdown.. crazy... I have a feeling the whole state will be back into lockdown soon, I say do it and get it over with. Many people are flaunting the guidelines and not taking it seriously, a few more people in our state have died recently too from it.

Hope you guys are all okay and safe, please, please take care

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our state capital and surrounding areas have been put back into Stage 3 lockdowns... for at least 6 weeks...

And to add on to the previous increases... :s

b661106d92cba36ed35e03881e92c493.jpg

Admittedly there are craaazy amounts of tests being done, but alarming just how many coming back positive...

I've been keeping an eye on a fair few dojos in that area, and they were all so excited to be getting people back into dojos training, and now they have to go back to online training for 6 weeks or more during this lockdown.. crazy... I have a feeling the whole state will be back into lockdown soon, I say do it and get it over with. Many people are flaunting the guidelines and not taking it seriously, a few more people in our state have died recently too from it.

Hope you guys are all okay and safe, please, please take care
I wish we had numbers like yours.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah really.. has it been pretty up there over your way :s
That’s an understatement. Something like 70,000 new cases in the last 24 hours nationwide. When the deaths begin to catch up with the new infections, well. That will be an ugly sight. We better brace ourselves for the coming storm.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Goju Ryu school has reopened although we do wear facemasks in class. My Jiu Jitsu school is still not open.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That’s an understatement. Something like 70,000 new cases in the last 24 hours nationwide. When the deaths begin to catch up with the new infections, well. That will be an ugly sight. We better brace ourselves for the coming storm.
Very sorry to hear that... take care all.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Please, please watch this video.

This has been a huge and costly lesson in statistics. One of the first things you learn is diminishing return. There is a determinant point where continued input will not effect the bottom line results. They can and will influence other objects. In the Covid-19 scenario increased testing has naturally resulted in increased positives. What will never be clear is the accuracy of the inputs being used. For example:

How can a person trust anything coming from certain political inputs and All media inputs with this kind of information? The very same thing is happening at the testing phase when test results come back unclear. Not sure? It's Covid-19. How is this morally, ethically, legally, logically, (I can keep going) fair or informative?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay...and?
Beyond the inherent dangers and risks of choosing to continue to train..the reason I was posting that is because you may want to be more careful about what you post online. Considering your username is what I'm guessing is your name, and you've got your state listed, someone on this site (or a lurker) would be able to find your school and get them in trouble for staying open if they wished.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I spoke with my senior student yesterday, he's been training as long as I have. His dojo in Massachusetts has been re-opened for three weeks now. Changed, obviously. He follows strict guidelines issued by the Governor's office.

He decided to change his class from an hour and a half to forty five minutes. There's no people there to watch class, no coming in early, a space between classes where he disinfects. I believe everyone's masked.

He's teaching Parker Kenpo instead of American Karate right now, we're both ranked In Kenpo under one of Ed's direct students. My student says the training fits in a little better under the state of the pandemic right now. We've always trained our guys in everything we know about the arts. And always encouraged them "to get out there and train with other people."

His girlfriend's son has been training in BJJ since before they met. He was talking to him yesterday and the son's Jits dojo has opened back up, too. Apparently it's a pretty big dojo, area wise. What they've done is taped off ten rings in the dojo. In each ring is one of those grappling dummies. They're classes are a little shorter now, too. And only ten students to a class, each with his own ring and grappling dummy. The instructor goes around and helps everyone work their techniques.

I find all of this fascinating.

I don't know how anything will work out. My guess is the pandemic is just warming up in general, maybe the dojos will be forced to shut back down.

I guess we'll find out.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone who is bringing people together into close physical contact, breathing all over each other, is part of the problem.

Latest Discussions