What is your plan for re-opening?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
which situations have you heard were scaling back a BIT lead to an IMMINENCE increase and then a harder lock down ?
Here's just a snippet, about businesses that had to close up again, and not so much harder lockdowns but back into lockdown I think, my bad. And of course that's the thing, of course there will be an increase in outbreaks upon easing of restrictions, it's unavoidable

WHO warns that coronavirus cases have jumped in countries that eased lockdowns

Millions back in lockdown in China as fears grow over second coronavirus wave

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Problem is, with an infectious disease everyone's actions have a high probability of affecting others. So folks avoiding those places still end up eventually interacting with someone who doesn't.
well no, not largely they dont only people ( and possibly intermediately family) who consent to run the risk themselves. a lot less danger to others than say a drunk driver

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's just a snippet, about businesses that had to close up again, and not so much harder lockdowns but back into lockdown I think, my bad. And of course that's the thing, of course there will be an increase in outbreaks upon easing of restrictions, it's unavoidable

WHO warns that coronavirus cases have jumped in countries that eased lockdowns

Millions back in lockdown in China as fears grow over second coronavirus wave
that appears to be just china, who are operating on completely different criteria than every one else ,coupled with sensational reporting, the lock down effects 10 million not 100 million and was triggered by the mere existence of 13 cases, hardly a ''wave''

you can only come to the conclusion that easy lock down will directly result in more cases, if your convinced that any particular measure was actually effective,, that is not the case for the uk, where many of the measures had no logic at all and some certainly increased the spread either directly or indirectly

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
that appears to be just china, who are operating on completely different criteria than every one else ,coupled with sensational reporting, the lock down effects 10 million not 100 million and was triggered by the mere existence of 13 cases, hardly a ''wave''

... am just sayin. Not claiming every single place is exactly 100% the same. Just sayin, it's happened, and can happen.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
... am just sayin. Not claiming every single place is exactly 100% the same. Just sayin, it's happened, and can happen.
well what happened, china has, because it can complexly over reacted to a very very small number of cases, where is the thing you said that a easing of restrictions has lead to a large number of cases ?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well what happened, china has, because it can complexly over reacted to a very very small number of cases, where is the thing you said that a easing of restrictions has lead to a large number of cases ?
I was thinking more the Spanish flu second wave, THAT sorta thing ;)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh of course, yep, I'm not actually worrying heavily in terms of losing sleep over it, no one can control anyone else. Just heard of situations in which restrictions were eased a bit, it spread immensely, and they had to go into harder lockdowns soon after. Personal responsibility is key here, of course, and that can only be encouraged rather than guaranteed.

The measures seemed to prove effective and cases (known cases of course), along with very widespread testing done are showing that cases are declining. Where we are anyway, but who knows anything really at this stage.
@_Simon_ , temperature is thought to deter the virus here in the states. With the generally higher temperatures where you live does that seem to track? The southern U.S. states have certainly had it easier here so far.

I was chatting with a farmer friend last week and he said they were getting up square bale hay in 44° C (112° F) heat. All I could say was I sure hope it was a dry heat. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
@_Simon_ , temperature is thought to deter the virus here in the states. With the generally higher temperatures where you live does that seem to track? The southern U.S. states have certainly had it easier here so far.

I was chatting with a farmer friend last week and he said they were getting up square bale hay in 44° C (112° F) heat. All I could say was I sure hope it was a dry heat. :)

Oh wow haha. I have heard that about the higher temps...

Our state in particular (which is known for four seasons in a day hehe), has had it pretty bad compared to others. But we're coming up to winter next week, and even so it has been pretty cold the last couple of months. The hot weather disappeared rather rapidly!

I believe Northern Australia (much warmer) has had less cases, so it may be a thing for sure!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was thinking more the Spanish flu second wave, THAT sorta thing ;)
the spanish flue was odd very very odd, partly on its own but more so because of the first world war.

the much vaunted second wave was deadly, because the normal rules of natural selection were reversed, that is virus mutate to become less deadly as a general rule of thumb, however the nature of trench war fare meant the reverse occurred and the mild mutations died out allowing the more virulent strains to run wild...

then,, especially they brought millions of people back into the country all at once, a very large number of which had this virulent strain

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Things have progressed here in terms of easing of restrictions.. currently have to keep the 1.5 metre distance still, but allowed to have 5 visitors at home. 1st of June we can have 20 people over, and 22nd June alot of indoor sports centers are reopening, cafes allowed 20 patrons etc.

Already seen heaps of messages about dojos planning to reopen then, all at once. Gotta say, even though it's great, still makes me uneasy... still feels too soon..
It should make you uneasy, and it is too soon.

The impression I am getting is that a lot of people are just throwing their brains in the trash and ignoring all safety steps. The government gives permission to start reopening and people want to just immediately go back to how it was in the past. They immediately discard any distancing and stop wearing masks in public and in shopping areas. This is pure stupidity.

If things are to open then it needs to be coupled with distancing and PPE. This virus is still very much here and now. It has not gone away. I wonder sometimes if these fools believe the government just waved a magic wand and caused it to disappear.

Here in the good old USA the rates of infections in many areas are actually still increasing. And yet we are hell-bent on reopening. I guess we’ve all just gotten bored with the whole thing and decided let’s just move on and let it “sort itself out” or something.

I keep saying: everyone should make a list and write down the names of the people who are close to them, who they are willing to see die. Because if we do it this way then eventually it’s going to become that personal to every one of us. So we may as well recognize it now so we don’t pretend later that we are surprised.

So who are we all willing to lose? A spouse? A child? A sibling? A niece or nephew or parent? Several? Write down their names.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The impression I am getting is that a lot of people are just throwing their brains in the trash and ignoring all safety steps. The government gives permission to start reopening and people want to just immediately go back to how it was in the past. They immediately discard any distancing and stop wearing masks in public and in shopping areas. This is pure stupidity.

If things are to open then it needs to be coupled with distancing and PPE. This virus is still very much here and now. It has not gone away. I wonder sometimes if these fools believe the government just waved a magic wand and caused it to disappear.

Here in the good old USA the rates of infections in many areas are actually still increasing. And yet we are hell-bent on reopening. I guess we’ve all just gotten bored with the whole thing and decided let’s just move on and let it “sort itself out” or something.

I keep saying: everyone should make a list and write down the names of the people who are close to them, who they are willing to see die. Because if we do it this way then eventually it’s going to become that personal to every one of us. So we may as well recognize it now so we don’t pretend later that we are surprised.

So who are we all willing to lose? A spouse? A child? A sibling? A niece or nephew or parent? Several? Write down their names.
ive an elderly aunt i wouldn't be to sorry to see the back of, plus a few cousins which would be no great loss to myself or the world

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Lebowski-Opinion-Meme.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You make decisions for yourself....and we will make decisions for ourselves.....thank you.
As long as your decisions don’t put others in danger. That is where your rights end. That is well established in American law.

Keep your son safe. I would hate to hear that his name ended up on the list.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as your decisions don’t put others in danger. That is where your rights end. That is well established in American law.

Keep your son safe. I would hate to hear that his name ended up on the list.

Again you worry about flying crane...we are good.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm willing to lose my sister-in-law. I do not mean that as a joke, for it isn't funny.

She's just evil.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again you worry about flying crane...we are good.
No, I think we all need to be worrying about more than just ourselves. Because our actions in this go way way beyond ourselves. Thoughtless or selfish actions in this Covid situation can not only sicken or kill our selves, but can very easily kill others around us. Not just our families, but people we encounter briefly and then move on, people we don’t even know.

We ourselves might not even get noticeably sick, might not even know we have it. And we can kill our spouse or our children or our parents or our neighbors or strangers we didn’t even know we passed it to.

So yeah, I worry about myself and my household but I also worry about you and Skribbs and Buka and Simon and everyone else of there. Because we need to do this together. The people who don’t want to be bothered with it can completely undermine the actions of those who do the right thing. This is bigger than me or you. We all need to be on board.

Latest Discussions