What is your level of education OUTSIDE the dojo?

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Minor in Architecture
MBA

Before skool I couldn't spell engineer, now I are one.

OP
E

edhead2000

Rich Parsons said:
I am 37, Single, 6'3" and look to be 230 to 240 lbs. I graduated in 1990 after 6 years of full time college with a four degree :D. Check the staff link for a picture. ;)
This is not a personal ad, Rich.......might want to check out www.match.com for that. :rolleyes:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
edhead2000 said:
This is not a personal ad, Rich.......might want to check out www.match.com for that. :rolleyes:
Also Date.com, and ..., . Oh Wait I have tried most of those ;)

My Apologies to the thread starter for being off topic.

Keep post on topic (* even if asked a question :) *)
:supcool:

OP
E

edhead2000

I don't instruct, so I will speak for my instructor's education. He has a M.D. in endocrinology and a Ph.D. -- I know he told me he studied a lot of pharmacology (as I'm in pharmacy right now), but I'm not sure what exactly his Ph.D. is in.

Helps a lot with anatomy -- I always know exactly which vein/nerve, etc. I'm going for. :) He also goes into detailed explanations about what happens physiologically when you hit where. I find it very interesting.

OP
L

lifewise

Rich Parsons said:
Also Date.com, and ..., . Oh Wait I have tried most of those ;)

My Apologies to the thread starter for being off topic.

Keep post on topic (* even if asked a question :) *)
:supcool:

I didn't think you were off topic ... we were discussing your philosophy background. Perhaps edhead2000 was impressed with your description as was I, but for different reasons.

OP
B

Black Bear

I enjoy music, candlelit dinners, and long strolls through the mist-covered mountains. I am seeking a single female gorilla for friendship, mutual grooming, and possible pair-bonding. No freaks please.

What about other kinds of learning? I did Citizen's Police Academy, which was an evening course for civilians. I attend classes through my religious community which have contributed to my sense of moral learning and understanding of humanity. Sometimes I think I'd like to take a course on food spoilage, massage, or car repair.

OP
R

RCastillo

Bachelor of Science in Phys Ed, Minor in History, a Masters in Curriculum /Instruction with an emphasis in Kinesiology. :asian:

OP
L

lifewise

Black Bear said:
I enjoy music, candlelit dinners, and long strolls through the mist-covered mountains. I am seeking a single female gorilla for friendship, mutual grooming, and possible pair-bonding. No freaks please.

What about other kinds of learning? I did Citizen's Police Academy, which was an evening course for civilians. I attend classes through my religious community which have contributed to my sense of moral learning and understanding of humanity. Sometimes I think I'd like to take a course on food spoilage, massage, or car repair.

Well BlackBear, some of what you have listed here is stretching the criteria in my original question - lol, but interesting no less.

What exactly was "Citizen Police Academy"? Tell me about the course, and how it has helped you as martial artists / instructor.

It is interesting to see how many instructors have replied to this thread, and to get an idea on the post secondary education in the areas of human sciences.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Sifu has a BS in Psychology and Marketing.

As for me, I'm finishing my degree in Health and Kinesiology and continuing on to Physical Therapy school for my masters. I already have a degree as a paramedic, state certification as a lab tech, and certs in investigation, and human behavior (worked for a fire investigator for a while). I've done various classes for programming languages and coding, but nothing serious.

7sm

OP
R

RCastillo

7starmantis said:
My Sifu has a BS in Psychology and Marketing.

As for me, I'm finishing my degree in Health and Kinesiology and continuing on to Physical Therapy school for my masters. I already have a degree as a paramedic, state certification as a lab tech, and certs in investigation, and human behavior (worked for a fire investigator for a while). I've done various classes for programming languages and coding, but nothing serious.

7sm

Gee , with that type of a background, we need to get you a job on NBC's Law & Order Series! Too many crimes too solve! :uhyeah:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
Gee , with that type of a background, we need to get you a job on NBC's Law & Order Series! Too many crimes too solve! :uhyeah:
Hah, I do need my 15 minutes!! :ultracool

7sm

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well i haven't finished school yet, but i feel like i've been in it long enough to finish. i'm currently in my 4th year of college, i'm double majoring in political science and sociology with a concentration in criminal justice. hopefully after ANOTHER year of school here i'll be going to law school. i want to focus in family law, mainly in domestic violence, juvenile delinquency, and people with disabilities. i think i'll probably been in school til i'm 30, if i'm lucky :uhyeah:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
lifewise said:
Quote from loki09789 - "My formal background is a B.S. in English Ed. ... I have had a lot of success applying some of the theories and practices of pedagogy that normally are associated with coaching/training for sports/performance because of that skills focus over content information focus."

For those of us that are not familiar with the term "pedagogy" it means the art or science of teaching. Not to be confused with the term " pedology" (meaning the systematic study of the behaviour and development of children), which may be of greater value to an instructor. No disrespect intended, but doesn't it make sense to know your audience?

So, unless I missed it, that was a no to the education as I had outlined? Are you an instructor?

:asian:

That is a yes to the education as you have outlined it because educational science falls under the major heading of psych. - the same major heading that pedalogy falls under (and I have had some training in this area as well in my Educational training as well - but only as it relates to my secondary certification 7-12 grades.)

And I notice a lot of technical language from Black Bear that doesn't lead to 'know thy aud.' types of comments. And, if this is geared toward instructors, as in professionals (serious teachers not necessarily just those getting paid for it), I would think that the term pedagogy wouldn't be a 'fancy' term that would need to be explained.

And, yes I am an instructor, certified advanced under my instructor who is also a college professor of Sociology (I would consider it a human science) and an adjunct professor of Phys. Ed. (just means that he is recognized for his specific Phys Ed knowledge on a particular area) in self defense and teaches an acredited SD course at the college.

OP
B

Black Bear

lifewise said:
Well BlackBear, some of what you have listed here is stretching the criteria in my original question - lol, but interesting no less.

What exactly was "Citizen Police Academy"? Tell me about the course, and how it has helped you as martial artists / instructor.
Well OULobo is taking a similar course I believe. At the time, well that was kind of my "crime and punishment" period. I was doing research on moral development in a prison every Tuesday, then going out to this thing at night.

CPA is done a little differently by every city or locale. It's a PR program of police services. Applicants fill in a form and submit to a records check. Selected applicants, say a class of 30 from 300-1000 applicants, learn about various dimensions of police practices over a span of 6 mos or so. (I got in on the second police academy ever held by the city. I don't think I could get in now, now that the word's out and there are way more applicants. Even in the class I was in, everyone else in there was a banker, prosecutor, media personality, or something else funky cool. They're obviously trying to place community leaders in these spots. And to think that when I applied, I thought it would be mostly dorky 20-year old wannabe cops with crew cuts and a security company jacket.) Every week, a different unit presents on their work. Patrol, community problem-solving, "officer safety training" (use-of-force), tactical team, legal, auto theft, economic crimes, communications, forensic identification, specialized traffic enforcement, CPTED, beat, canine, drugs, vice, school resource, spousal violence, child protection, homicide, gang, and helicopter. We got to shoot the simulator (I killed on that thing!), tour holding cells, and handle cocaine. They showed us videos of dog training and how to steal cars with a screwdriver or butterknife in under a minute. At the end of the course, we shake hands with executive office-dwelling hotshots, drink wine, get our pic taken with the chief, and feel like we're bigshots.

Fun stuff.

The main reason I took it was because though I'm in psychology, I was raised in the 'burbs, and didn't have a lot of exposure to the grittier part of life. I worked a suicide line and did some service delivery for child and family services between degrees. I still wanted to learn more stuff, firsthand, about peoples' problems in my city. When I heard about it, of course I wanted to do it.

In relation to MA, I have always had a practical s-d focus, and this gave a clearer context of what violent crime in my city really looks like, and how the guys who put themselves in harm's way solve problems. The officer safety guy gave me some great tips on training with OC spray (practicing getting sprayed with it), as well as the details on tasers, which I never really understood. We didn't shoot real guns (though the simulator had a pretty good motorized "slide"), and we didn't "ride along". CPTED (crime prevention through environmental design) was something I'd encountered through my environmental psych courses, and most self-defense courses and books will invoke it as well (mutter mutter mutter get good deadbolts mutter mutter light is good mutter mutter mutter mutter) but in a very piecemeal way, without a clear explanation of the theoretical basis, but these guys make it their full-time thing, so I learned tons from them on how CPTED applies to a variety of situations and settings.

I suppose it had its intended effect in that I have a more positive disposition toward our police service, and speak better of them than I did before, having heard "their side of the story", and finding out why they do things the way they do.

A lot of cities have this sort of thing now, and I recommend it to anyone.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
B.S. in Criminal Justice...I did most of my electives in either political science or other stuff from the behavioral science dept. (psychology, sociology etc.). If I decide to get a graduate degree it will probably be political science, history, or I might go to law-school sometime down the road.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a masters degree in Graphic Design and now Im a cop....I hesitate to place too much emphasis on degrees. They aint all that. (notice I wasnt an english major ;))

Most of my co-workers are not all enamoured with college kids getting criminal justice degrees. get a degree in psych., sociology, some "other" topic you are interested in, etc. that way if getting a LEO job dosent come through, you have something to fall back on. I see a lot of people with CJ degrees get passed over for the job by somebody with a degree in graphic design :).....You can become an "expert" on something w/o a degree. They are nice for moving up through the ranks though.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. 27 years of life in northern MN
2. 4 years working as an armed security guard
3. 6 years (summers) working as a wilderness canoe guide
4. 3 years as a naturalist at a YMCA family camp
6. 16 years training in MA (7 years in Tang Soo Do)
7. 2 years as a parent of a beautiful daughter
8. More stuff then I have space for, its already sounding like a resume

I've done a lot of things in my life and my formal education does little to show how much I know. I think this is something a lot of people can experience... With that being said I have a few degrees, mainly in science.

BS in Biology
BS in Geology
BS in Physical Science (a mix of chem and physics)
7-12 MN teaching certificate

I am currently working on...

Finishing a BS in Physics
Finishing a MA degree in Education

It kind of reminds me of the Bob Dylan song lyric "20 years of schoolin and they put you on the day shift"

upnorthkyosa

OP
B

Black Bear

upnorthkyosa said:
BS in Biology
BS in Geology
BS in Physical Science (a mix of chem and physics)
7-12 MN teaching certificate

I am currently working on...

Finishing a BS in Physics
Finishing a MA degree in Education
Wow, you sure are full of BS! I mean, BS's. :lol:

Not talking about anyone here, but some folks who don't have formal education make too much of the supremacy of "life experience". They forget that ppl who do degrees have life experience as well, and are better qualified to interpret that experience.

The other thing being, you take your average student. Exposed to a lot of diverse cultures and values on campus, sat in on debates between great minds, volunteered as an OT's aide assisting disabled people with their exercise. Had a Research Assistanceship for a couple summers, hiked through Chiang Mai and Laos another time, did relief work in a South American mountain village, an internship in a hard company, another in the federal government. Was in an ethnic club, a connoisseur's club, a kendo club, and racquetball intramurals.

Then take a guy who work as a night watchman for eight years. Gets home, sleeps, then watches TV in the evening, or drinks with friends in a sports pub, or hangs out on a stupid martial arts internet forum. This guy has one week's worth of experience, 400 times.

In four years this guy has several times more life experience than another individual a few years older than them.

On the other hand, the night watchman could be reading physiology texts and French existentialists all night on the job, then putting their evenings to good use.

So we look at degrees, titles, occupations, even our age, to confer evidence of our intelligence or status. They confer squat. It's all bogus. What matters is what you do.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a B.A. in Music, with a concentration on Classical Guitar; which means I am qualified to do absolutely nothing! (sorry, it's an old joke).

For most of my life, I have been a teacher/trainer. I trained private music lessons from my senior year in high school until after I graduated college. I then did some sales work. Before ending up in training computer applications.

With this background, I find that my martial arts instructors often times are not very good trainers/teachers. They may be great martial artists and technicians, but as trainers go, they sometimes leave a bit to be desired. (I will say, I have not exprienced too many different instructors - but it is a weakness I see).

Mike

OP
L

lifewise

michaeledward said:
... I find that my martial arts instructors often times are not very good trainers/teachers. They may be great martial artists and technicians, but as trainers go, they sometimes leave a bit to be desired...
Mike

It is sad to see how often this does happen.

Latest Discussions