What does a Black Belt mean?

M

marshallbd

I read this somewhere once, I hope I got it right....

"If you were to ask people on the street the meaning of having a black belt they would say that a black belt is the highest level of martial art training.

Most beginning students would probably say that a black belt is the level that a student becomes an instructor.

A beginning level black belt would probably say that their level of black belt now means only that they are now a serious student, now worthy of learning more advanced techniques."

Opinions?
What would a 10th say?
:asian:

OP
D

Disco

A beginning level black belt would probably say that their level of black belt now means only that they are now a serious student, now worthy of learning more advanced techniques."

What would a 10th say?......... "Now the journey begins" :asian:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In Judo it means:

1) Throw me without mercy, I should know how to breakfall
2) I know the referees calls, and all forbidden competition activities

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I think that it SHOULD mean:

1) I'm a controlled person in alot of aspects:
a) I can control my power, speed, etc. enough not to hurt others,
especially when sparring in class or at tournaments
b) A lot more is expected out of me in forms, respect, grace, power, etc.

2) A Black Belt SHOULD show these qualities:
a) Respect
b) Confidence
c) Control
d) Humility
e) Passion
f) Self-discipline
g) Patience
h) Helpfulness
i) Keeping at it
j) Great Attitude
There are so many other things...

3) Should be the same inside as outside the dojang. I don't think its any different than the fact that your level of difficulty has risen and also the control is a MUST. Must show a higher conduct.

4) Need to be in good physical condition. Includes strength, speed, agility, and all the other things needed to be in good physical health

5) This kind of goes with 2 and 3. Need to be controlled in the mind. Being of sound mind is another MUST for being a Black Belt. Maturity really matters.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A black belt is the divider between intermediate and advanced MA practioners. Its the beginning of advanced training in most systems.

When I teach, anything below a brown belt means that a student is learning the basics and progressing these basics in a natural manner and at the 1st level of brown they begin their intermediate training. At the intermediate level, they should become noticeably good martial artists.

At black belt the journey "starts over." :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me it means the following:

The student has learned enough to be able to instruct beginners and other intermediate students in the basics.

It also means that the student is now learned enough of the system to really being their training and serious learning.

Just my opinion.
:asian:

OP
B

Black Bear

A black belt means different thinks to different people. There are different schools of thought on the matter, but I believe that a guy's belt colour should match his shoes, whereas his socks should match his pants. As for women, they know way better than we do how to make themselves look good, and I shall remain silent on that issue.

Royce Gracie once said that a black belt only covers two inches of your @$$--the rest you have to back up on your own. With all due respect to a world-class martial artist, he must be one of those hip-hop dorks who wears his jeans really low so you can see what nice boxers he has.

OP
L

lifewise

What does it mean to be a black belt?

To some, it means too much. Some put training and money for that icon of accomplishment before family and a well rounded life.

Once the belt turns black, many egos are hard to harness within. The most impressive black belts are the humble ones. There are a couple great ones on here. :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What does a Black Belt mean?
It means that an instructor has decided that you have the ability to teach beginners. He has the faith in you that you conduct yourslef with honor and respect in relations with other martial artists. you have a grasp of the basics and hopefully know you don't know it all.
To many times it means "man look at me, I'm somthing special"
It goes to to many peoples heads and they should flot into outer space for all the hot air it causes within them. Thankfully this hot air disapates (in most) in short order when the instructor really starts makeing them learn their stuff.

OP
R

RCastillo

For me it means a possible "Ace" up my sleeve in dealing with people verbally/physically, and inner strength as an Individual :asian:

OP
L

lifewise

RCastillo said:
For me it means a possible "Ace" up my sleeve in dealing with people verbally/physically, and inner strength as an Individual :asian:

NICE! :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disco said:

What would a 10th say?......... "Now the journey begins" :asian:
I disagree. I say a blackbelt would say he or she has been learning blackbelt material since the day he or she walked in the door.
Sean

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"What does a Black Belt Mean?"

it means you can wear a pair of black slacks & button down shirt look pretty nice...simply put, if you ask 100 people this same question, you'd get 100 different answers.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me, true learning begins at this level. Before black or advanced level, you are learning basics (arguably the most important part) and true learning of technique or principle begins at advanced level.

JMHO
7sm

OP

it holds up your pants just as good as any other color belt

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
A black belt is a symbol. I do not have to wear the symbol of my rank for people to know who and what I am. That symbol exists for those that do not know. Does a soldier/sailor/marine stop being a defender of our country because they are out of uniform? Does a police officer stop protecting the public because he is out of uniform? No, these are things you become. So it is with the black belt, it is something you become, not just something you put on and take off.

OP
R

Rainman

Unfortunately Black Belt in and of itself means nothing. Did the rank come from a commercial art and school? Does the school have head contact? Do they roll around on the floor and get their feet all burned up? These are now serious issues within all martial art circles. A curve exists... maybe same material but watered down for various athletic abilities or maybe toughness. And we are talking mental and physical.

In some previous posts arrogance and some other character flaws were mentioned. These are only steps and a process that happens when skill and promtion come fairly easy. Some people are gifted with natural athletic ability, some are gifted with desire, and some are truley gifted with both. Then add intellgence, which is another bonus, and subtract for lazyness. Sort of seems like a growing list of ingrediants does it not?

Yes many factors to determine the worth of someone wearing a black belt. Great guy terrible fighter= not a black belt
terrible guy= great fighter incarcerated black belt
Great guy= great fighter= chuck norris, randy couture

Some variables to look at and to help you form your own opinions on the person and their skill. Skill is defined in 3 basic ways, teaching ability, understanding the concepts theories and principles and the physical manifestation of the art. Because some have a harder shell than others does not exempt them from anything. But if the core is rotten in skill and compassion it really makes you wonder what someone wa$ thinking.

And of course this in my American Kenpo perspective.
:jaws:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on how and where you got it from.

Because black belts are doled out like kleenex these days, just b/c you got one, doesn't tell anything. Its the reputation and credibility of the organization and your instructor that bestow meaning to your belt and rank.

We have witnessed some loonies/crooks bestowing phony ranks and belts onto each other in some crackpot schemes to peddle themselves. Caveat emptor.

Latest Discussions