What is your level of education OUTSIDE the dojo?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
(notice I wasnt an english major ;))

You can become an "expert" on something w/o a degree. They are nice for moving up through the ranks though.

Even us English degrees type faster than we edit here, looked at the number of 'and' and 'as well' uses in my last post - WOW! I am glad my students don't check this site out... as far as I know :)

I have met some really well trained/educated people who were nearly completely self taught on their topic of choice. Sometimes I feel guilty for pursuing my Graduate degree more because I have to for my permanent cert. as a teacher than by a desire to master my craft. I feel like I would be better served w/an assigned mentor teacher who would act more as a coach/trainer to help me refine my craft than by doing more projects and research... teachers learn more by teaching - about their subject as well as the craft of teaching.

Honestly, as a teacher, I promote the idea of students getting knowledgeable on stuff they love strictly based on interest. That way they can be more qualified to do what they love doing for a career. It also gives them a framework of motivation for subjects they might not enjoy. I.E. Science might become a little more interesting if you learn how it is related to the creation/study of sound or manufacturing instruments as a music lover/musician. Learning history in relation to literature might make it more tolerable for a writer/literature/movie lover....

All the techniques, methods and rationales behind formal teacher training are like tools in a tool box to me, my tool box is organized more from my personal experience and personallity. My personal research in Martial arts/philosophy/military history/music/sports and performance training.... all are just as influencial on my classroom style/techniques and vice versa as far as influence on the Martial arts training floor.

OP
B

Black Bear

Chin up, PP! The system of education and achievement recognition we have isn't ideal, but if that's what it takes to prove your stuff, put your nose to it! I didn't like a lot of the stuff I had to do for my degrees, but I did 'em because that's what it took to get to where I wanted to be! Our lives are long. Maybe you hate a couple courses, or your thesis, or both. So twenty hours of nonsense per week, for a year, is just the price you pay. The rest of it's good. It's a package!

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lifewise said:
Children can teach adults amazing things - if we let them. Of course you probably know this, and I suspect that is why you want to teach at the dojo.

How long have you been teaching in a dojo? As a school teacher, what differences in teaching approaches do you see between yourself and an instructor with no such education?

:asian:

I don't have my own school, but my instructors often have me teach class, or teach individuals. I've been doing that for five years or more. I think for one, being a school teacher gives me more patience. I've seen my peers get upset or frustrated when a newbie doesn't pick something up as quickly as they did. Also, just having that insight as to how a young person thinks (or doesn't). It helps me explain things in a way that they would understand. For example, I was helping a kid with forms and sets. They were doing the motions correctly, but not with any intensity. So, I made the form more relevant to them by shadowing them. The first movement of this form was a downward block. I gave them something to block, and already knowing what their next movement would be, gave them something to block for the second movement - inside/dragon block. They saw the application and began putting more intensity into their practice. :asian:

OP
L

lifewise

rompida said:
... I think for one, being a school teacher gives me more patience. I've seen my peers get upset or frustrated when a newbie doesn't pick something up as quickly as they did. Also, just having that insight as to how a young person thinks (or doesn't). It helps me explain things in a way that they would understand. ...

Your students are fortunate to have you. :asian:

OP
L

lifewise

I would like to thank all of the individuals who posted on this thread.

It was never my intention to suggest someone had to have a degree in sociology, criminology, psychology or other human science in order to be a quality instructor. It is interesting to read some of your replies, and see what many of you have accomplished academically.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my instructor has been on many courses, mainly relating to Martial Arts and some complimentary therapies as well! He has a full time job, I think he works in deliveries or something. His assistant is a Full time teacher of Special needs children so he is a natural at teaching in class. Another of the black sashes is no a fitness instructor at my local gym so he knows all about Sports science and such.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Very Respectable :D :asian:

I have a BS in Computer Science, Minor in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and Philosophy. This is the result of a mispent youth as a Chemical Engineer student. I have also taken numerous Masters courses from Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, and a couple other one off courses at other U's or Colleges.

Not the smartest, nor the sharpest, nor the most educated. I just do my job ;)
:asian:

Well, looks like I have a lot in common with Rich. I have a BS in Chem. Eng. minors in Math and Chem., and turned down opportunities to attend Carnegie Mellon and Purdue (along with Tulane and U or AL). I ran the MMA club at Ohio University for 2 years and attended schooling in another art at the same time.

Black Bear said:
Well OULobo is taking a similar course I believe. At the time, well that was kind of my "crime and punishment" period. I was doing research on moral development in a prison every Tuesday, then going out to this thing at night.

Yep, and I'm keeping an informal journal of it here on the forum. Search under "Community Police Academy". It is really a ton of fun with some education mixed in and the bonus of getting to know all the local cops (it makes them feel worse about writing me a ticket).

OP
B

buddah_belly

I'm about a year away from a PE degree. I want to teach elementary school, because you get to play with the parachute and take the summers off.

OP
L

lifewise

buddah_belly said:
I'm about a year away from a PE degree. I want to teach elementary school, because you get to play with the parachute and take the summers off.

Seems like a reason to me! :boing2:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Well, looks like I have a lot in common with Rich. I have a BS in Chem. Eng. minors in Math and Chem., and turned down opportunities to attend Carnegie Mellon and Purdue (along with Tulane and U or AL). I ran the MMA club at Ohio University for 2 years and attended schooling in another art at the same time.
Lobo,

I also ran the gaming society and was officers for the math club and chem club and a member of the SGC (* No not Star Gate Command, Student Government Council :D *), with different posts there as well. I was also a founding member of GLAS ;). And just plained helped out any club or organization I could :), including he chess club and ACM.

I guess we do have a lot in common. Brothers by different mothers separated since birth ;) :D

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Also Date.com, and ..., . Oh Wait I have tried most of those ;)

My Apologies to the thread starter for being off topic.

Keep post on topic (* even if asked a question :) *)
:supcool:

hehehe...bachelor number one likes to pull the wings off of butterflies and is easily amused by shiny objects....*l

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ender said:
hehehe...bachelor number one likes to pull the wings off of butterflies and is easily amused by shiny objects....*l
Are you Bachelor number one?

For I do not like to pull wings off of butterflies.

I do like shiny objects though :D

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of you folks saw a lot of the inside of your high-school lockers didnt you???

icon10.gif

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Some of you folks saw a lot of the inside of your high-school lockers didnt you???

icon10.gif
Nope! I was 6'2" in the freshman year (9th grade) and about 170 lbs, age 12 turning 13, and growing facial hair. :D. My Locker was my a bunch of Junoirs and Senoirs, and they all thought I was some dumb Junior who transfered into Freshman classes. :) The bullies hated me, I walked where I wanted when I wanted and when out numbered, I out classed them by using my brain. Oh it takes 3 or 4 or insert number here to kick my rear end. You guys are sooo 'tuff' it takes so many of you guys? How aboout one on one? Or are you chicken to try me one on one. Most times the delay tactic worked and an adult came along, and asked what was going on. I would smile and say nothing. The times the delay did not work, I would make them pay for their mistake of trying to hurt me. I am not saying I won every confrotation, I am saying that one on one they all paid, and if more jumped in I got scared and usually slammed someones head against a wall. Want to see the fight go out of a bunch of bullies when one of them goes down and is hurt bad.

Now some of you will think, how did I graduate with being suspended like this. I neve even did detention. I would just name the people involved and tellthem that they all jumped me and I defended myself because I was afraid. I also wanted to call my Mom so she could talk to them. I would just wait. Usually I was sent back to class or allowed to see the nurse and then go back to class.

It was nice being frineds with the principals and the teachers and knowing that they could come over to my house and party with my parents, I would go away for the night be at friends. They all knew me.

So, no lockers, no detention, no suspensions, I just did my thing and helped my friends. Including asking the bullies to not bother my friends or I would make their life at school not worth it. ;) It was fun turning it on them. There is a certain type of personality that fits a bully and they really do not like being told or even asked what to do and not really have a choice. :D.

Oppps, I went on too much for this. Now back on subject. (* Unless you consider ths education out side of the dojo, as I had no dojo training at that time *)

OP
L

lifewise

Rich Parsons said:
Oppps, I went on too much for this. Now back on subject. (* Unless you consider ths education out side of the dojo, as I had no dojo training at that time *)

:uhyeah:

Ah, detentions.... now there is a topic!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
BA Psych, MA Communication Psychology, classes towards PhD in Org Dev., and finally D.C (Danger to Citizenry...wait, I mean Doctor of Chiropractic). Spent much of my life taking joints to tension and applying impulses...why not get paid for it?

Dr. Dave

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

No, but I had a few narrow misses. When I graduated H.S. I was about 5'6" 140. The summer between H.S. and College I grew 3 and 1/2 inches and gained about 20 or 30 lbs (still not real big, but quite a change for me). I decided that at this point in my life I would no longer take any crap from anyone, and spent the better part of my freshman year getting in fights over stupid stuff (although, I did sublimate a little by joining an inline hockey team my second semester). I have since calmed down and seen the stupidity of my youth

I graduated with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and a minor in Russian Language and Eastern European Studies. I am currently trying to decide between getting an MBA or studying for the CPA (figured it might help me get a job with the FBI later on). I've also been looking into law school, possibly copyright and patent law or even good ole criminal law. I enjoy reading books on history (Stoessinger's Why Nations Go to War is an excellent book), psychology, science, language and culture (reviewing Russian and beginning to study Arabic), and I just bought a book on Kant and the Critique of pure reason (philosophy).

As for Martial Arts, obviously I'm studying Kenpo (teaching as well), but I've developed a recent affinity for grappling. Mainly BJJ, but a little judo and wrestling as well.

Anyway, most of my friends think I'm a little crazy, but at least I'm enjoying the madness. :partyon:
%think%