What is a better self defense weapon knife or baton?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Getting back to the basic question - knife or stick. A 7 inch fixed blade is a formidable weapon and one I personally would run away from if possible. But look at the total picture considering various factors:
  1. long range - 24+inch stick superior
  2. med range - stick slightly superior
  3. short range - knife superior
  4. ease of carry concealed - knife superior
  5. legality of concealed carry - stick superior in most states
  6. risk in losing weapon to unskilled opponent - stick superior (less risk having it kill you)
  7. flexibility in lethality of use - stick superior (difficult to gently stab someone or just restrain with knife)
  8. if unarmed - stick superior (better chance of finding stick or stick-like object on the ground than a knife)
  9. skill adaptable to other objects - stick superior (pipes, chains, crowbars, branches, etc.)
  10. intimidation factor - knife superior (especially the 7 inch variety)
I think #7 is perhaps the most important, overall from a self-defense aspect - the stick can be applied to a wider range of situations than a knife, offering more options on the force spectrum. By its very lethal nature, a knife's responsible use is limited to only the most extreme situations. Of course the user's training, willingness to inflict deadly force, and situation all come into play. But considering all the above, I vote for being trained in, and having, a kali/escrima stick (but a small knife hidden away would be nice, too)

That’s a pretty good breakdown. Never thought of it that way before.

Invisibleflash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Born in L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
OP, don't know which is better. But I'd rather give someone a whack that slice them open. If they got you in a choke from behind on the ground, a knife is good to cut up their arms and stab their leg. But in NYC you can't have either weapon. There are some knife options, but choices are slim. No tactical folders and knives have to be concealed. Open carry or any part of a knife that is visible gets you arrested. NYC is very tough on knives. Can't even have a kubaton in NYC.