What is a better self defense weapon knife or baton?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are those people, and they are the best for teaching self defence as they have never needed to use force on anyone, so they either talked out of situations, ran or not got into them in the first place.

And you would rather break bones and cause internal bleeding than cut someone up? :p
on that criteria my 88 yo mother could teach self defence, she spent most of my early life saying" try not to get into so many fights our Joe"

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Self defense tools should be well trained however, when in actual carry it's more like having a spare tire.
'You hope you'll never need to use it, but if you do it's there.'
Most all of us have a good spare tire; how much effort do you spend showing off or comparing your spare tire to others?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Self defense tools should be well trained however, when in actual carry it's more like having a spare tire.
Most all of us have a good spare tire; how much effort do you spend showing off or comparing your spare tire to others?
The spare tire is a great analogy Danny.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mostly stick and knife. I have practiced a little with them to see what works better and such. Like for instance a sap or black jack is pretty much just a short club so I stopped carrying those and just focused on the baton. Things like a monkey fist or similar flail would always bounce back at me and such I prefer the control of a stick. Brass knuckles and similar items suffer from the issue of they dont give me enough benefit to carry them. Like if I learn to punch correctly I can get pretty close to what a brass knuckle can do.

I forgot to add stun gun to that list. I have practiced with a stun gun. Not a taser that shoots out the darts but a contact stun gun. I am not a fan of those cause of the fact that at most they deliver 30,000 volts of electricity and they really do not work all that well.

Honestly the best weapon for self defense you can buy in my opinion is pepper spray. But I am not asking what the best is I am asking what is a better self defense weapon a knife or a baton

There is no way a bare knuckle punch can do near the damage of a punch of equal skill and power using brass knuckles. Early in my LEO career slap jacks were many officers go to, putting it in the palm of their hand and slapping the **** out of someone. Hence the name. You better believe they work. I don't get you short club analogy.

There are cheap stun guns online that are not have nearly effective as what LEO carry. Comparing a stun gun to a true taser is not apples to apples. Either one is going to get someone's attention but the stun gun may just piss them off.

To your original question, what is your line of work that you need so much firepower? Of the two weapons in question, definitely the knife.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
the area of the world I live in really does not need self defense weapons------In the winter i can conceal carry a 2 foot straight baton in my jacket------ I mainly conceal it this way if I am going for a walk.

If the area is safe, why are you tooling up?

It being 'a hobby' is a really poor reason by the way, it's honestly coming across as extreme paranoia.

I like one part of this analogy - I've met loads of people who were utterly incapable of swapping out their spare if they got a flat ;)

Also, I've put more effort into comparing the options I have for a spare tyre than I ever have thinking about carrying a weapon...

While "it's better to look at it than look for it" is a valid idea, there's also a likelihood of need continuum.

I carry a spare tyre in my car because there's a fair chance I'll need it one day - I've had to use the facility maybe 10 times since I started driving. On a pushbike I carry puncture repair stuff, again because there's a fair chance I'll need it (much more often than the car spare).

Compare that to what weapons I've carried for SD purposes - none.

How many times in the last 43 years I've needed a weapon for SD purposes - none.

I have enough to carry already (key and wallet, sometimes) without adding hardware I'll likely never need...

The OP seems more like he'd tow a spare car, and a complete set of parts too - even though his car is reliable and he has good breakdown cover (safe area ;))

D

Deleted member 39746

on that criteria my 88 yo mother could teach self defence, she spent most of my early life saying" try not to get into so many fights our Joe"

she could very well teach, not my place to say if she can or cant, it would probably be a more honest senior self defence class than some out there. :p

Anyway thats degrading from the subject matter so im stopping the discussion line before it degrades too far.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the moment I only carry around my 7in fixed blade knife. Everything on that list I no longer carry due to there being better items and some of them not working.

It is what I do for a hobby.

There are people that carry around a guitar everywhere they go even if they have no time to play it.
Would your name be Mick Dundee?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are people that carry around a guitar everywhere they go even if they have no time to play it.
The only people i ever see carry guitars are teenagers/college students, homeless (or fake homeless) people, or people going to/from studios. All of them have a reason for it. Id find it stupid to carry a guitar if you dont plan to use it, only reason for it would be for ego.

Similarly, i cant think of any other reason for carrying 5+ weapons at a time, except going to train somewhere where you need that. If anything, you're putting yourself in more danger as anyone your fighting now has more opportunities to arm themselves.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends what you want it to do. For ending a fight decisively, I'd probably give the edge (no pun intended) to the bladed weapon. For gaining options to control/defend with less chance of doing serious harm, the baton is better.

For me, I'd personally prefer the baton. I'm more skilled with it, and likely at less risk if it ends up in the other guy's hands.
Same here, though I've always figured that the one time I was ever in a pinch and really needed to use a weapon to aid me in an SD situation, I'd have course set it down at the other end of the couch... or put it in my proverbial backpack because it was in my way or something. Murphy's Law.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You carry a 7 inch fixed blade concealed? Not saying it's impossible, but what's your draw time on that? I always want a balance between utility and ease of access when it comes to SD weapons.

Pretty good will post some pics of how I conceal carry it.

There is no way a bare knuckle punch can do near the damage of a punch of equal skill and power using brass knuckles. Early in my LEO career slap jacks were many officers go to, putting it in the palm of their hand and slapping the **** out of someone. Hence the name. You better believe they work. I don't get you short club analogy.

There are cheap stun guns online that are not have nearly effective as what LEO carry. Comparing a stun gun to a true taser is not apples to apples. Either one is going to get someone's attention but the stun gun may just piss them off.

To your original question, what is your line of work that you need so much firepower? Of the two weapons in question, definitely the knife.

How have you seen brass knuckles work? From what I have seen you do short little jabs with them not full on punches. Not saying they dont work but if lets say I punch correctly with good body mechanics and my punch is an 8 out of 10 but with brass knuckles I can punch a 10 out of 10. There is not enough of a difference for me to carry them.

A slapjack is essentially a short club so why not carry a longer club and have more range and more power?

I agree on the stun gun thing. I believe I said stun gun and not taser. I have yet to use a taser in practice due to the price.

If the area is safe, why are you tooling up?

It being 'a hobby' is a really poor reason by the way, it's honestly coming across as extreme paranoia.

I like one part of this analogy - I've met loads of people who were utterly incapable of swapping out their spare if they got a flat ;)

Also, I've put more effort into comparing the options I have for a spare tyre than I ever have thinking about carrying a weapon...

While "it's better to look at it than look for it" is a valid idea, there's also a likelihood of need continuum.

I carry a spare tyre in my car because there's a fair chance I'll need it one day - I've had to use the facility maybe 10 times since I started driving. On a pushbike I carry puncture repair stuff, again because there's a fair chance I'll need it (much more often than the car spare).

Compare that to what weapons I've carried for SD purposes - none.

How many times in the last 43 years I've needed a weapon for SD purposes - none.

I have enough to carry already (key and wallet, sometimes) without adding hardware I'll likely never need...

The OP seems more like he'd tow a spare car, and a complete set of parts too - even though his car is reliable and he has good breakdown cover (safe area ;))

You can believe whatever you want to believe of me.

If you stopped me on the street right now you would find I have a phone and a knife. My phone is my keys my wallet and my phone. I rarely carry a physical wallet and keys anymore since my phone does it all. I dont drive so I do not need a drivers license or ID where I live.

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How I hide my baton.

open
coat1.JPG

coat2.JPG

How I hide my knife. And Ok I lied it is a glock knife with a 6.5in blade.

shirt1.JPG

shirt2.JPG

shirt3.JPG

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How I hide my baton.

open
coat1.JPG

coat2.JPG

How I hide my knife. And Ok I lied it is a glock knife with a 6.5in blade.

shirt1.JPG

shirt2.JPG

shirt3.JPG
You have a special line in over sized shirts and really awful oversized jackets ,just to hide your weapons ,that is realky dedicated, but it's the fashion police you need to worry about, and the very least you look like a shop lifter

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You have a special line in over sized shirts and really awful oversized jackets ,just to hide your weapons ,that is realky dedicated, but it's the fashion police you need to worry about, and the very least you look like a shop lifter

Actually the jacket is from 2013 when I was heavier. Also similar stuff with the shirts. I bought 7 of the same shirts so I essentially wear the same shirt everyday.

People care about how they look?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually the jacket is from 2013 when I was heavier. Also similar stuff with the shirts. I bought 7 of the same shirts so I essentially wear the same shirt everyday.

You'd need to be a foot taller for that jacket to fit

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You might want to care how you look. If you were around my job site we would be on you like white on rice. You know why? Because it looks like your carrying things you're trying to hide.

Key word in that sentence is "trying".

OP
J

jaime_lion

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You might want to care how you look. If you were around my job site we would be on you like white on rice. You know why? Because it looks like your carrying things you're trying to hide.

Key word in that sentence is "trying".

Well it is a good thing I dont live in maui. What are the knife laws down there?

Latest Discussions