What has the Kukkiwon done for you?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mike Johnson? Roy Kurban?

Good to see some martial artists from the metroplex.

I got my TKD BB from Dr Brax Boyd in Grand Prairie. I was there when Mike Johnson tested for his 5th.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After reading this I tend to agree with the fact that for the most part the Kukkiwon has done nothing for most of us exept take our money and send us a certificate that used to mean something but dosnt anymore. One reason we now go to interschool certificates.

QFT
Large Orgs are money pits.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I got my TKD BB from Dr Brax Boyd in Grand Prairie. I was there when Mike Johnson tested for his 5th.

What your was you with Boyd, do you know David Nutt and the Bergman as well?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started with Brax Boyd in 84, came back in 97, was there till 2001

I know Dave Nutt very well, he was my partner when I tested for 1st and I helped him when he tested for 2nd

I know Ben and Cindy and Nicole and Braden Bergman very well. I have been int hier house literally 100's of times. The Bergman's, Sissy and Wilton Wright, Brandi Brinkely, Dave Nutt I and I would all work out on saturdays and then go eat and hang out afterwards.

I still see them every time I go back to Dallas. Did you know Ben got his 5th? Yeah, he is Master Bergman now. He tested last year just over a year after getting his hip replaced.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I know that Mr. Bergman got his 5th, I guess you also knew MR. Bussier, and all the others. Mike Johnson school is about two miles from mine we have a great relationship. Was you also part of the old TKL league. You know that league was broke up and GM Kurban has started to bring it back with some new schools. To bad you cannot make it down for the meet and greet with Brian Vancise and 14 Kempo. It is nice to see someone from the same area as me.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes, i competed in the TLK. Won the eagle in 99 for advanced men. Spent 2000 training for my BB test

Never really competed after I made Black. At the time, there wasnt much point in it, the mens division was locked up with the guys from Ivan Lewis' dojo. Plus I was turning 35 that year so the plan was to train hard and be the young guy in the senior men BB division.

In fact, i knew Mr Bussier from the 80's. Along with Gloria Wood. He was a blue I think when I started and she was a 4th Brown I think. When i came back they were both 3rd Dan.

I heard about the TKL ending and in truth I wasnt surprised. Too many new schools in it, and they all wanted the first date (Mr Boyd's) or the last (Mr Kurban's) as those were the most profitable.

Good to hear that GM Kurba is trying to bring it back.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score

I was there for his 5th Dan test as well. Small world.

R. McLain

Latest Discussions