What has changed for you as you've trained?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Bill Mattocks, May 1, 2019.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Best of luck. I am very impressed by your attitude. Believe you can but maybe do not know for sure, but wanting and willing to find out. I love this! I have a favorite saying that makes my wife laugh. When I am not sure about something I will say "I'll take a swing at it". Give 'em hell.

• Like Like x 1
  2. isshinryuronin

isshinryuronin Blue Belt

We are of a similar mind on most of the thoughts you expressed. I liked your allusion to Kyudo. I recently expressed that same idea on another thread: The feeling of the technique, well done, being the payoff.

On the side topic which somehow evolved about knowing 200 throws/sweeps, etc.: There are tens of thousands of words in the dictionary, but we do very well with a relatively few. Many are synonyms and seldom do you need 5 ways to say the same thing. We each have our favorite words or phrases to express a thought. To be practical, a technique must be able to be instantly employed. If you have dozens of possible choices for a specific situation, the decision process takes longer. That instant reaction requires a LOT of repetition and practice. Hard to achieve that with too many techniques. Better to have quality rather than quantity of moves.
    Fighting isn't that complicated. After all, this entire reply used less than 24 letters, and if I didn't care about spelling and wrote phonetically - even less. I just want to get the thought across and consider the job done. Just like in a fight. KISS.

• Like Like x 2
  3. isshinryuronin

isshinryuronin Blue Belt

My 3rd sentence of my above post of a minute ago: I was actually referring to earlier on THIS thread. The side topics threw me off and I lost track of which thread I was on! There's a thin line between senility and wisdom.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

You can

- write a book with 200 throws.
    - make a DVD with 100 throws.
    - teach a workshop with 50 throws.
    - demo with 25 throws.
    - fight with 8 throws.

Life is too short trying to master too many things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Sure bro. [​IMG]

I work as a police officer at the airport on Maui. Couple times a week I work the TSA checkpoint, where every outgoing traveller has to pass through. I have two main duties -
    A
    , preventing a breach (someone trying to circumvent TSA search procedures, or just making a run for it upstairs to the gates)

B, preventing anyone from bothering TSA workers, employees or other travelers. There are other things, but those are the main ones.
    It’s the A that’s "door guarding" work. Same as working any door, instead it’s a checkpoint. You have to go through it in a certain way established by state and federal law. Or you ain't going anywhere. Period. Either way, I'm guarding that door. I'm not alone, but I'm the only one you'll see. At least at first.
    ;)

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Got it. We may already have met then, without our knowing about it as my wife & I've visited Maui 3x so far. We like the laid back, surfer time vibe of the cost around Kihei.

And here I was, hoping I could drum up some excitement to keep you from falling asleep while leaning against a post in one of the Front St. bars... Ah well.

7. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I like Kihei as well. My wife and I go to the bird sanctuary all the time, we like birds. Great place to walk, too.

BirdSactuary.jpg

The beach there, just yards away, sometimes gets crowded. I once saw a half dozen people on it. :)

Do you go up to Haleakala summit at all? Pretty cool place.

Let me know when you come back. And if you need anything on this end, just say the word.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

Those half dozen people must be stupid. Who’d ever want to hang out at a hell hole like that?

Is that offer for anything you need on your end open to everyone?

If so, I need airfare for 4. And a hotel. I’m not too fussy; I’ll settle for 4.75 stars out of 5. We’ll meet up and I’ll buy you dinner. At McDonald’s. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Buka, our first trip we stayed exclusively in Lahaina after driving there from the airport. The next two times we explored all around Kihei, but didn't do much else... so we've not visited the summit, no. Things to do next time, or times!

10. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I'll take you up the mountain, bro. And I have warm clothes for you guys. It can get cold up there. Snowstorm cold. But it's a real special place. You might even see a star or two.

EddieStars.JPG123

• Like Like x 1