How the martial arts has changed and helped me

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since its New Years soon I thought I'd reflect a bit. I was thinking about my life (don't worry I didn't depress myself to much lol) jokes aside I was thinking about my life before martial arts. I never hated my old life, never felt miserable or bored but I knew there wasn't anything speacial about it. I was just a geeky chubby kid who didn't talk much at all.

Then I started training and it was something I'd never felt. It wasn't even about what I was learning it was just that feeling of having something to do and work for. A reason to stay in shape and eat healthy, a reason to go out at nights. It improved my confidence so much both kickboxing and kenpo, eventually ending up teaching really is something I never thought I'd do and it's still a shock sometimes.

Also the people I've met have become almost a family and I know it sounds cliche and cheesy. But both guys in kenpo and kickboxing ads guys I see multiple times a week and since both clubs aren't very big it's easy to get to kmow everyone. I mean I was never friendless before but with martial arts it helped me meet people with a similiar passion and interest.

To me it's never really been about the fighting. Of course I want to know how to look after myself and I believe I can handle myself fairly well in a fight I'm not unbeatable nor is anyone but I know I'm better than what I'd be if I never trained and that's how I always see it when I get discouraged. I mean I've got plenty of weaknesses, since I returned to kenpo I keep a notebook and write down any corrections I'm given and ended up filling nearly half the book in about 5 months and that's fine I'm always learning and will always be happy to learn. Honestly If I come out of a class and haven't been told anything I feel more disappointed.

But anyway martial arts was simply about a way of keeping fit and just doing something. I train 5 days a week in total and someone said to me "you kmow you don't have to go to every single session" the thing is I know that. I don't go there for anyone else or because I feel I have to but because I genuinely want to, I'd much rather train than go to the pub or go to a party that stuff has never interested me, I mean I go out for a few drinks sometimes but never very long but when I'm going to training and strapping on my gloves or putting on my gi it makes me feel proud that I'm doing something in my life. It's not to impress anyone or to beat someone up or show that I'm better than them it's simply because I know how pointless and boring my life was and I'm proud that I was able to change that on my own.

That's the thing I did it on my own, I didn't turn up to the gym with a couple friends to try it out together, I didn't turn up to a kenpo school with my parents to talk to the instructor I did it all myself I went there and introduced myself and got to know everyone on my own.

Some may read that and think so what? But for me that is a very big thing. I'm not an outgoing person at all and I find it hard even having a full conversation with someone I've known for years let alone go and talk and introduce myself to someone I don't know and it's helped me with anxiety. I've never been hugely bad with it but I've always worried about stuff mainly to do with my health. I get something wrong I panic and assume the worst and constantly worry. That's me that'll always be me but I know I'd be a lot worse if it wasn't for my training and the confidence I've gained from it.

Martial arts is the one thing I'm proud of in my life and no one will take that from me. I don't need to blow my own trumpet I'm happy with myself I didn't need a round of applause for it. Some people try and make fun of you for it for whatever reason but it never bothers me. Which is another big for me because I'm one who does worry what people think.

Sorry this is very unorganised post. It's basically me just rambling on and sorry if I sound like a self absorbed *** here but I wanted to share my story of the martial arts and how it's helped me and changed me.

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I did it all myself

This is the most important part of the whole thing. You did it all on your own and your accomplishment relies on no one else. Congratulations and keep on being awesome! May I ask how long you have been training?

P.S. It's okay to be proud without arrogance. :)

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the most important part of the whole thing. You did it all on your own and your accomplishment relies on no one else. Congratulations and keep on being awesome! May I ask how long you have been training?

P.S. It's okay to be proud without arrogance. :)
Kickboxing for about 5 years, kenpo I started in 2007 did it for 4 years then stopped and then started again 3 months ago.

And yeah that's why I prefer martial arts or imvidual sports like running or swimming because in things like football or rugby or basketball you could basically be a winner and do nothing and rely on your team mates to do the work or the other way round you may be amazing but constantly lose because your team isn't very good.

That's the with fighting and martial it's all about what you do sure you call the other guys your team mates and training partners but when it comes down to that fight or that test what they do means nothing to your own performance it's all about your own skill

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's awesome, bro, keep at it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since its New Years soon I thought I'd reflect a bit. I was thinking about my life (don't worry I didn't depress myself to much lol) jokes aside I was thinking about my life before martial arts. I never hated my old life, never felt miserable or bored but I knew there wasn't anything speacial about it. I was just a geeky chubby kid who didn't talk much at all.

Then I started training and it was something I'd never felt. It wasn't even about what I was learning it was just that feeling of having something to do and work for. A reason to stay in shape and eat healthy, a reason to go out at nights. It improved my confidence so much both kickboxing and kenpo, eventually ending up teaching really is something I never thought I'd do and it's still a shock sometimes.

Also the people I've met have become almost a family and I know it sounds cliche and cheesy. But both guys in kenpo and kickboxing ads guys I see multiple times a week and since both clubs aren't very big it's easy to get to kmow everyone. I mean I was never friendless before but with martial arts it helped me meet people with a similiar passion and interest.

To me it's never really been about the fighting. Of course I want to know how to look after myself and I believe I can handle myself fairly well in a fight I'm not unbeatable nor is anyone but I know I'm better than what I'd be if I never trained and that's how I always see it when I get discouraged. I mean I've got plenty of weaknesses, since I returned to kenpo I keep a notebook and write down any corrections I'm given and ended up filling nearly half the book in about 5 months and that's fine I'm always learning and will always be happy to learn. Honestly If I come out of a class and haven't been told anything I feel more disappointed.

But anyway martial arts was simply about a way of keeping fit and just doing something. I train 5 days a week in total and someone said to me "you kmow you don't have to go to every single session" the thing is I know that. I don't go there for anyone else or because I feel I have to but because I genuinely want to, I'd much rather train than go to the pub or go to a party that stuff has never interested me, I mean I go out for a few drinks sometimes but never very long but when I'm going to training and strapping on my gloves or putting on my gi it makes me feel proud that I'm doing something in my life. It's not to impress anyone or to beat someone up or show that I'm better than them it's simply because I know how pointless and boring my life was and I'm proud that I was able to change that on my own.

That's the thing I did it on my own, I didn't turn up to the gym with a couple friends to try it out together, I didn't turn up to a kenpo school with my parents to talk to the instructor I did it all myself I went there and introduced myself and got to know everyone on my own.

Some may read that and think so what? But for me that is a very big thing. I'm not an outgoing person at all and I find it hard even having a full conversation with someone I've known for years let alone go and talk and introduce myself to someone I don't know and it's helped me with anxiety. I've never been hugely bad with it but I've always worried about stuff mainly to do with my health. I get something wrong I panic and assume the worst and constantly worry. That's me that'll always be me but I know I'd be a lot worse if it wasn't for my training and the confidence I've gained from it.

Martial arts is the one thing I'm proud of in my life and no one will take that from me. I don't need to blow my own trumpet I'm happy with myself I didn't need a round of applause for it. Some people try and make fun of you for it for whatever reason but it never bothers me. Which is another big for me because I'm one who does worry what people think.

Sorry this is very unorganised post. It's basically me just rambling on and sorry if I sound like a self absorbed *** here but I wanted to share my story of the martial arts and how it's helped me and changed me.
That's what it's really about, bro. We each have different reasons for doing this stuff we all come here to argue and ***** about, but one thing we all have in common (I hope) is that we just like doing it.

Like you, I've gotten so much out of my martial arts. I was a shy kid when I started. People who know me now really don't believe that. I don't think my brother even believes it, which means my parents and I hid it very well. MA aren't the only thing that led me to the man I am today, but they are a large part of it.

Like you, there were times (when business travel allowed) when I trained every single class that was available. At one time, that meant...8 or 10 classes some weeks. I was a fiend, and did it because I could. I did it because it felt right. I did it because it sucked (tired, feeling beaten up, screwing up techniques), but I still wanted more of it.

Frankly, that's why I teach. I keep hoping I'll find just a few students who get that same feeling a few years in. That's when it will get really fun!

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial arts within this last year has taught me a lot. I sometimes and still do take loses too personal and take my shortcomings too personal.

Martial arts has shown me that the best people got there by failing often and getting beat up often. There is no person out there who is just so cool and awesome that they never lose

Failure is all a part of the learning process and it doesn't matter how many times you fail, so long as you get back up and continue the struggle. That is how winners are made.

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This year was horrible because I lost my father and grandfather within three months. Being a sophomore in college and missing roughly a month of school due to funerals and illness was not helpful to my school studies or MA. I slacked a lot. I made excuses for being late or not showing up at all. Not that I didn't go at all this semester, I did, but certainly not as much as I should have. Let's just say it was a good week if I made it to half my practices in a week (one).

I know I'm still going to be in this funk when I go back for spring semester. But with the new year, I am going to try harder, to make all my practices and not make up excuses when I don't go. I've got some people in my corner who are willing to help me. I have a coach who's turned into a father/brother/mentor who I can talk to, who will be hard on me and definitely kick my butt in sparring if I don't try my hardest. But I welcome it, because I'll be moving forward.

Besides, an arrow has to be held back to fly forward, right?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year was horrible because I lost my father and grandfather within three months. Being a sophomore in college and missing roughly a month of school due to funerals and illness was not helpful to my school studies or MA. I slacked a lot. I made excuses for being late or not showing up at all. Not that I didn't go at all this semester, I did, but certainly not as much as I should have. Let's just say it was a good week if I made it to half my practices in a week (one).

I know I'm still going to be in this funk when I go back for spring semester. But with the new year, I am going to try harder, to make all my practices and not make up excuses when I don't go. I've got some people in my corner who are willing to help me. I have a coach who's turned into a father/brother/mentor who I can talk to, who will be hard on me and definitely kick my butt in sparring if I don't try my hardest. But I welcome it, because I'll be moving forward.

Besides, an arrow has to be held back to fly forward, right?
I have often noticed that when it is easiest for me to not go to the dojo, that's when I'm most glad I went. During our low times, excuses are much easier to see than when we're feeling good.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2017 will be my 33rd year of training in Taekwondo. I will certainly go along with the health aspects, etc., but to me, what has changed and helped me the most is finding the love of my life right there in the dojang.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was the same way when I was single, regarding the "going to class" thing. I was attending a school that had class Monday to Thursday. One week I had to miss Monday and Tuesday, and I felt bad about it. Then a friend called me up just as I was headed out the door on Wednesday night. He wanted me to meet two females, sort of like an impromptu double date. I said, "No, I am heading out to wing chun and I haven't gone yet this week." His response was, "So? You usually do go every day any other week." I said, "Yes, but I haven't gone at all THIS week."

Sometimes people just can't understand it.