What's the funniest thing you've had to give someone pushups for?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was leading a small group through a form. We got to the point where you're supposed to kiyhap (yell) and normally we'll say "and say 'HAAA!'", but this time I said "say something."

This guy yells, "SOMETHING!"

I had to give him pushups, but I was laughing.

What's the funniest reason you gave someone pushups?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a story about one time I had to do pushups. But technically we never actually had to do them...it was more of a joke one senpai would do (we ended up actually doing them at the end of class about half the time, for fun).

Me and a friend were trying to see who could get the most pushups ordered on to us by this senpai. (for reference we were around 8/9 years old at the time). We continued for a couple weeks, until eventually my friend nick figured out the jackpot. If he verbally stated an excuse for why he couldn't do the pushups, and it wasn't legit, our senpai would double the amount we had to do. So each time he would just come up with an excuse that made no sense, and get them doubled. When I caught on, I joined in. We went overboard the first day, but it became a running joke between the three of us until nick left the school a few years later. my favorite from each of us: Nick "a pack of dogs bit me and left an invisible injury so now my arm can't hold for pushups". Me (at this time I was actually trying to do pushups, but laughing too hard to do them...this excuse ended up being used multiple times...again I was 8) "I can't do pushups I have laughitis".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a story about one time I had to do pushups. But technically we never actually had to do them...it was more of a joke one senpai would do (we ended up actually doing them at the end of class about half the time, for fun).

Me and a friend were trying to see who could get the most pushups ordered on to us by this senpai. (for reference we were around 8/9 years old at the time). We continued for a couple weeks, until eventually my friend nick figured out the jackpot. If he verbally stated an excuse for why he couldn't do the pushups, and it wasn't legit, our senpai would double the amount we had to do. So each time he would just come up with an excuse that made no sense, and get them doubled. When I caught on, I joined in. We went overboard the first day, but it became a running joke between the three of us until nick left the school a few years later. my favorite from each of us: Nick "a pack of dogs bit me and left an invisible injury so now my arm can't hold for pushups". Me (at this time I was actually trying to do pushups, but laughing too hard to do them...this excuse ended up being used multiple times...again I was 8) "I can't do pushups I have laughitis".

A few years later I was 15, he was coming back from college, and taught a class. I was goofing around, still doing my stuff but making wise-*** remarks to him, he told me to do pushups. I asked him if he wanted a resurgence of laughitis. I had to do no pushups.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He technically did exactly what you asked. If I was in your class I would have been doing them all the time.

We have kids do stuff like that all the time, but they usually do it because they're trying to follow the direction. This guy did it because he was being a Mr. Smarty Pants. He was actually a pretty good friend of mine and we did board games together a lot. But he knew darn well what he was doing.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

At my old school, we trained at the YMCA, and we would run all over the Y before class. Across the gym, up the stairs, across the 2nd floor, down the other stairs, and back, over and over. My friend and I decided to cheat and take the elevator. We got off the elevator right as the black belts were running by. That was the easiest pushups they ever handed out.

We had a kid at that school who would say smart aleck things and then do pushups without even being told.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't give physical exercise as a punishment.
I want students to view exercise and physical conditioning as a good thing and I want them to put good effort into doing so. If it is a punishment they will view it as punishment.

Most of the time at my school, it's the equivalent of a reprimand. It's not an egregious punishment, just to let you know you messed up.

It's also the consequence of failing a game.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have kids do stuff like that all the time, but they usually do it because they're trying to follow the direction. This guy did it because he was being a Mr. Smarty Pants. He was actually a pretty good friend of mine and we did board games together a lot. But he knew darn well what he was doing.
Exactly proof that I would be doing a lot of pushups in your class. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I accept that's punishment for my A-holeness. But it's a fact.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly proof that I would be doing a lot of pushups in your class. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I accept that's punishment for my A-holeness. But it's a fact.

The other side is that my Master says if pushups are being treated as a game, don't use them as a reprimand.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the time at my school, it's the equivalent of a reprimand. It's not an egregious punishment, just to let you know you messed up.

Reprimand is something you say or do to correct someone.
If the person who is being corrected has to do something for that correction that is a punishment.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reprimand is something you say or do to correct someone.
If the person who is being corrected has to do something for that correction that is a punishment.

Kid is spinning around in circles when he's supposed to be in ready stance? 10 pushups. Get focused and get back to work.
Kid hits another kid, says something really disrespectful, or refuses to listen to any instruction? Put your nose against the wall, or sit outside and don't participate until the Master brings you back in.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The other side is that my Master says if pushups are being treated as a game, don't use them as a reprimand.
you shouldn't be using physical exercise as a punishment, particularly not with children, how does that give them a healthy view of exercise as a life long enjoyment, when you have soured it as a punishment. my whole generation was soured to the Joy's of running as the school used to make children run round the muddy field in the freezing cold as punishment .

we had a visiting instructor, who took exception to me abandoning the rather dull drill, to show off doing pull ups on a low beam, 20 push ups she barked in a German accent, apart from the sheer absurdity of giving me push ups as a punishment for doing pull ups, I considered it demeaning and just laugh at her, I didn't, though quite tempted, mention allied prisononer of war camps,or that I had been elected chairmen of the escape committee by my fellow detainees, do adults really give any crediance to such punishments in the USA..

and if you made a kid of mine stand with their nose against the wall, I'd punch your lights out

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kid is spinning around in circles when he's supposed to be in ready stance? 10 pushups. Get focused and get back to work.
Kid hits another kid, says something really disrespectful, or refuses to listen to any instruction? Put your nose against the wall, or sit outside and don't participate until the Master brings you back in.
I understand what you are doing. I don't do it.
Kid is spinning in circles when he's supposed to be in ready stance is bored or looking for attention. If bored it is your job to keep the child engaged. If seeking attention don't give it to the child. I will stop the class and tell everyone the next thing will something that child really enjoys and if anyone doesn't focus on the ready stance they will have to sit out on the next thing.
Tell them what you want and what the consequence is if/when that doesn't happen then do that. Having them do physical exercises as a method for not maintaining focus or doing what you want is a method of punishment. Then when you want them to work hard on that as an exercise it is seen as the same as punishment. Why are we being punished for doing nothing wrong?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand what you are doing. I don't do it.
Kid is spinning in circles when he's supposed to be in ready stance is bored or looking for attention. If bored it is your job to keep the child engaged. If seeking attention don't give it to the child. I will stop the class and tell everyone the next thing will something that child really enjoys and if anyone doesn't focus on the ready stance they will have to sit out on the next thing.
Tell them what you want and what the consequence is if/when that doesn't happen then do that. Having them do physical exercises as a method for not maintaining focus or doing what you want is a method of punishment. Then when you want them to work hard on that as an exercise it is seen as the same as punishment. Why are we being punished for doing nothing wrong?

My experience has been that if they need a quick jolt to focus, then it works. You can say all the things you want, but that won't change what I've seen work in practice.

If the pushups become a bigger distraction then we use a different tactic.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
My experience has been that if they need a quick jolt to focus, then it works. You can say all the things you want, but that won't change what I've seen work in practice.

If the pushups become a bigger distraction then we use a different tactic.
Okay.
I didn't say it doesn't work. I even said I understand why you do it.
It also has negative aspects and because of that I don't give exercises as a punishment for not obeying or losing focus.
Negative or punishment training is immediate but studies have shown is less effective long term with children that positive training. I want my students to look at the physical exercises as a positive activity not a negative one.
I also prefer to utilize positive re-enforcement activities though it does take a bit more patience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think a lot of it depends how they are given. I don't want students to view them as punishment, so I've never given them out (never needed anything like that with adults or teens, and used "go sit over there" with kids). But I've seen folks use them in a way that was readily accepted not as punishment, but as consequence. It's an odd distinction, but it works. Folks were quite proud of their ability to do the push-ups, and put full effort into them when given, whether they were given for not knowing something, failing at a task, "losing" at sparring, going too hard, or whatever. I'm not sure how that dynamic evolves (if I was, I'd employ it).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen them used that way, and when done well (I'm not sure how to describe what that means) it works. With cases like that, you're in part just helping the kid burn off some energy so they can pay attention.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't be using physical exercise as a punishment, particularly not with children, how does that give them a healthy view of exercise as a life long enjoyment, when you have soured it as a punishment. my whole generation was soured to the Joy's of running as the school used to make children run round the muddy field in the freezing cold as punishment .

we had a visiting instructor, who took exception to me abandoning the rather dull drill, to show off doing pull ups on a low beam, 20 push ups she barked in a German accent, apart from the sheer absurdity of giving me push ups as a punishment for doing pull ups, I considered it demeaning and just laugh at her, I didn't, though quite tempted, mention allied prisononer of war camps,or that I had been elected chairmen of the escape committee by my fellow detainees, do adults really give any crediance to such punishments in the USA..

and if you made a kid of mine stand with their nose against the wall, I'd punch your lights out
Most of that post is about your attitude problem, rather than any issue with the instructors mentioned.

Latest Discussions