What exactly is atheism? (offshoot of same sex thread)

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for clarification. Is this your opinion, or is this common knowledge?

Well generally science is based on facts and evidence. People have a hard time accepting these things if they are trying to sell you snake oil. But is skeptical in nature, don't think atheism is science driven.

I just get lost in comments that turn to politics and miss the significance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

It's pretty much accepted and backed up by "fact".

I don't suppose you saw my earlier post skimming over how old this debate is and citing rational arguments both for and against?

The issue is more complicated than you give credit for and evidence has been presented both for and against by some pretty legitimate folks throughout history.

Again, at the end of the day, it's something you must decide for yourself. It's a personal journey and anything else, IMHO, is an effort to either validate one's beliefs due to doubt or for political gain.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose you saw my earlier post skimming over how old this debate is and citing rational arguments both for and against?

The issue is more complicated than you give credit for and evidence has been presented both for and against by some pretty legitimate folks throughout history.

I did read these comments, but it looks to me that you are mixing Atheism and Skepticism somewhat.

Don posted a picture about Atheism, talking abut the big bang. The sentences in the image were actually nonsense. Along side not really having anything to do with Atheism. It's the skeptic that generally understands science.

The reason I laugh at those types of posts, is that it's a trap. A person of religion can never let it go and entertain things like the big bang and evolution. Because they feel if they do "someone" wins because some scripture is around creation and the begging of life. They should adapt, the bible was written in parables and metaphors, maybe they should reassess and update their view of Adam and Eve based on what they know today, change with the times.

Was listening on a local channel here that a christian group is starting to teach priests and pastors about science so when they are asked question by their congregation, it doesn't confuse people. I thought, what a great idea and about time. If I can dig find and article or something about it, I'll post it. That would shut up skeptics and religious factions once and for all if they had no ammo to disagree on.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In short atheism is a religion of people who, by and large, think they are smarter than anyone and everyone who is religious.

Statistically speaking, they are.

The zealous fervor that they hate religions and those who practice them is no less ugly than the Nazis killing Jews by the numbers during WWII.

Wow. Hey, why is there no [GODWIN] tag on this site?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The reason I laugh at those types of posts, is that it's a trap. A person of religion can never let it go and entertain things like the big bang and evolution. Because they feel if they do "someone" wins because some scripture is around creation and the begging of life. They should adapt, the bible was written in parables and metaphors, maybe they should reassess and update their view of Adam and Eve based on what they know today, change with the times.

I think that's too pandemic of a statement. Many religious people have no dog in that hunt, so to speak. Sikhism has no creation story, neither does Buddhism. The Catholic Church accepts the Big Bang and Evolution, and the Jesuits head up several academically rigorous institutions -- including those with world-class science programs such as Boston College and Georgetown University.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's too pandemic of a statement. Many religious people have no dog in that hunt, so to speak. Sikhism has no creation story, neither does Buddhism. The Catholic Church accepts the Big Bang and Evolution, and the Jesuits head up several academically rigorous institutions -- including those with world-class science programs such as Boston College and Georgetown University.

The slogan was full of naive and nonsense comments. Claiming it mocks beliefs, my response was more keeping in that context of what ever group it was meant to be coming from.

Interesting, I didn't know that about the Catholic church, was it a statement in an article, or proclaimed by the pope, not sure what makes something official?

It's good to hear about the science programs.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are "Christians" out there that accept that an omnipotent being would engineer things like "evolution" into the plan.

"Laughing" at any idea or theory is not a reflection of intelligence, to the contrary it is a reflection of close-mindedness as an intelligient person is capable of entertaining concepts and ideas they might not immediately agreee with. It is the sign of intelligence to be able to entertain such ideas without simply accepting them.

This is a quality many lack, on both sides of the fence.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are "Christians" out there that accept that an omnipotent being would engineer things like "evolution" into the plan.

"Laughing" at any idea or theory is not a reflection of intelligence, to the contrary it is a reflection of close-mindedness as an intelligient person is capable of entertaining concepts and ideas they might not immediately agreee with. It is the sign of intelligence to be able to entertain such ideas without simply accepting them.

This is a quality many lack, on both sides of the fence.

Re-read the picture thing, and highlight the intelligent lines for me.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Re-read the picture thing, and highlight the intelligent lines for me.

Ummm... No. Do it yourself.

I'm not gonna hold your hand and guide you to any sort of enlightenment. You need to research things for yourself and determine what's right for you. How much "effort" you put into it shall reflect how important it is to you. I've done my homework and am quite comfortable with my personal spirituality. You need to do the same.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm... No. Do it yourself.

I'm not gonna hold your hand and guide you to any sort of enlightenment. You need to research things for yourself and determine what's right for you. How much "effort" you put into it shall reflect how important it is to you. I've done my homework and am quite comfortable with my personal spirituality. You need to do the same.

How can you find enlightenment in it? Its mumbo jumbo.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Refer to previous posts.

And... BTW... Bacon!

LOL, if I get time in the morning ill try and explain what we do know. Then you should understand what I mean by if being a garbage statement.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those who have faith understand it. Those who don’t, never will.

Few things in life are simply black and white, but that is one thing that is.

You will not find the path to spirituality in the outside world because it lies within each of us, individually.

Outside influences play a key role in each individuals spiritual journey; however, the conclusion one reaches is there own.

If you’ve convinced yourself there is nothing more, then in your world there will be nothing more. If you’ve convinced yourself there is something more, then in your world there will be something more.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You will not find the path to spirituality in the outside world because it lies within each of us, individually.

Outside influences play a key role in each individuals spiritual journey; however, the conclusion one reaches is there own.

If you’ve convinced yourself there is nothing more, then in your world there will be nothing more. If you’ve convinced yourself there is something more, then in your world there will be something more.

Don't we all live in the same universe with the same physical laws? I accept that spirituality is personal, but I think it is limited by the minds that accept it. Beyond that, the universe exists and all collective delusions do not play a role in governing it.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't we all live in the same universe with the same physical laws? I accept that spirituality is personal, but I think it is limited by the minds that accept it. Beyond that, the universe exists and all collective delusions do not play a role in governing it.

One man's delusion is another man's belief. I've addressed this ad nauseum previously in the thread.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One man's delusion is another man's belief. I've addressed this ad nauseum previously in the thread.

Beliefs are delusions, even those that are based in evidence. Even science is delusional to a degree.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beliefs are delusions, even those that are based in evidence. Even science is delusional to a degree.

“Delusions are often functional. A mother's opinions about her children's beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Understand what?! My point is that the sentence is foolish and wrought with ignorance and false dichotomies. We know the big bang happened, we know where we came from, we know how the universe formed, we learn more each year. The argument from incredulity shows you have not actually read it properly or thought logically which you seem to accuse so many of. We even know what was before the big bang.

When you have evidence and facts, yeah it can be. I still have no idea what your taking from that slogan or what you think it means. It feel like your arguing just for the sake of it.

I'm not looking for spirituality.

If you’ve convinced yourself there is nothing more, then in your world there will be nothing more. If you've convinced yourself there is something more, then in your world there will be something more.
I'm not looking for spirituality.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually I feel I must interrupt here to point out that saying we KNOW something is wrong when it comes to science. We have a pretty good idea, however a discovery tomorrow could prove this idea to be wrong. It happens all the time with science. After all, at one point we KNEW the earth was flat.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I feel I must interrupt here to point out that saying we KNOW something is wrong when it comes to science. We have a pretty good idea, however a discovery tomorrow could prove this idea to be wrong. It happens all the time with science. After all, at one point we KNEW the earth was flat.

That can happen, that's the beauty of science. What we know today, may not be what we know tomorrow. But I'm talking about what we know today. Generally what we know has gone through peer review, publish and repeatable for any one to test against or learn from, once something has been countered, or new evidence arrives. We then know something new, and hopefully it replaces the old.