What exactly is atheism? (offshoot of same sex thread)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tez did not say the King James version was the earliest. She said it was Catholic in nature.
and not french....

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said on another thread, isn't America turning into a facist state?

The interference is one sided for the most part, only one religion feels the need to impose so much on anyone else. The Muslims take umbrage of course when they feel threatened but to be honest they've had to put up with as much as we have from the same religious fervour. Only the Christians care about who isn't a Christian and if they are what brand they are.
There are very few Christian sects who don't feel the need to shove their beliefs on us, possibly only the Quakers and the Amish don't preach at us and urge us to convert. If Christians could stop trying to convert the rest of the world to their beliefs, it would be a much more comfortable world. I'm sure they mean well but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

All I can tell you is that yes, true Christians do care about who isn't a Christian. However, a true Christian will never try to force someone to believe as they do. It goes against Christianity. If you have only met 'cults' rather than caring Christians, I am sorry. Caring Christians will indeed tell you about their belief, many at any opportunity. But they will never try to force you to their belief, nor will most take it to the point of turning you off, if they realize they may be doing so.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that yes, true Christians do care about who isn't a Christian. However, a true Christian will never try to force someone to believe as they do. It goes against Christianity. If you have only met 'cults' rather than caring Christians, I am sorry. Caring Christians will indeed tell you about their belief, many at any opportunity. But they will never try to force you to their belief, nor will most take it to the point of turning you off, if they realize they may be doing so.

:lfao:

That would be nice. But I guess my mileage varies from yours.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
defense mechanism of religion damaged people....

At least it seems to me that a lot of people who claim to be atheists have suffered greatly from over zealous 'spiritual' guidance.

Of course, there is a less cynical explanation, I am sure.
I have read that of satanists as well. I had a friend in the Army that was getting into it, and it had to be rooted in his militant Catholic school upbringing; because, I couldn't see where else it was coming from. As for atheism, I have a friend who is an atheist and the blame is on her parents, whom may or may not have had a strong religious upbringing. I'm guessing they did. :)
Sean

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez did not say the King James version was the earliest. She said it was Catholic in nature.
and not french....

Yes, I got that. I didn't think my answer implied anything else. But to clear any misunderstanding up, the King James Bible was not a Catholic Bible. It was not the first Bible in English; that was Wycliff's English translation.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Isn't there scripture that says go forth and spread the word, and another indicating all true Christians are meant to be an evangelist. I can't remember the verses, was a long time ago I read the bible.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I got that. I didn't think my answer implied anything else. But to clear any misunderstanding up, the King James Bible was not a Catholic Bible. It was not the first Bible in English; that was Wycliff's English translation.

I didn't say it was the first Bible in English.
Methinks you didn't read my link and don't know as much as English history as you think. http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/
"The Anglican Church’s King James Bible took decades to overcome the more popular Protestant Church’s Geneva Bible. One of the greatest ironies of history, is that many Protestant Christian churches today embrace the King James Bible exclusively as the “only” legitimate English language translation… yet it is not even a Protestant translation! It was printed to compete with the Protestant Geneva Bible, by authorities who throughout most of history were hostile to Protestants… and killed them. While many Protestants are quick to assign the full blame of persecution to the Roman Catholic Church, it should be noted that even after England broke from Roman Catholicism in the 1500’s, the Church of England (The Anglican Church) continued to persecute Protestants throughout the 1600’s. One famous example of this is John Bunyan, who while in prison for the crime of preaching the Gospel, wrote one of Christian history’s greatest books, Pilgrim’s Progress. Throughout the 1600’s, as the Puritans and the Pilgrims fled the religious persecution of England to cross the Atlantic and start a new free nation in America, they took with them their precious Geneva Bible, and rejected the King’s Bible. America was founded upon the Geneva Bible, not the King James Bible.
Protestants today are largely unaware of their own history, and unaware of the Geneva Bible (which is textually 95% the same as the King James Version, but 50 years older than the King James Version, and not influenced by the Roman Catholic Rheims New Testament that the King James translators admittedly took into consideration). "

If you believe in the 'Old Testament' you will know that Jesus wasn't the messiah..... you can't have it both ways.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Ever here of a little thing called the Crusades? There were a long time ago, but there was more than one, but I suppose you could have missed them

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Religion has been used as a political tool from day one. "Belief" is very powerful.

I know atheists who keep it to themselves as well as people of faith. But even "atheists" believe in something... and those beliefs are exploited. For example, a very good childhood friend of mine is atheist and because of that he jumped right on the Obamacare bandwagon of wanting to force Christian based organizations to provide coverage for abortion.

Even though he's also homosexual and feels it's not right to legislate who someone can marry, he didn't hesitate to support legislation that would force somebody else to do something contrary to their beliefs. Eventually, he saw the irony in it and capitulated... but the point is, his "beliefs" were used to garner support from a political power, in both cases actually.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever here of a little thing called the Crusades? There were a long time ago, but there was more than one, but I suppose you could have missed them

And the Inquisition. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Inquisition.html

And the Pogroms

And the terrorism and forced conversions...in the present day http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Soc/soc.culture.indian/2007-11/msg00125.html

sSome very strong accusations about Christian groups http://freetruth.50webs.org/D4f.htm

However I've heard from many Nepalese that the Christian groups are very aggressive and are trying to rid the country of both Buddhists and Hindus. so much of this I know is true.
http://freetruth.50webs.org/D4h.htm#Nepal

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my beliefs\non-beliefs (what ever you want to call it). These are my opinions. Everyone will be different.

Religion: Dogma, I believe the church is a business alongside any other company. And prone to greed, corruption, and unscrupulous acts along side any other corporate entity. Both also capable of fantastic, innovative and selfless acts. As personal experience to testament to this, I have work many years with youth, homeless and mentally unstable people on a volunteer basis, and a professionally with-in IT scopes. And have seen things that absolutely repulsed me, with certain organisations that should not behave that way.

Spiritual: It's non-denominational to me, and it sums up what I think of people with "faith". It's the person I believe in, not the doctrine. But to profess to be a person of faith, I automatically expect you to behave the way your doctrine is expecting you too. (within reason of course). But I dislike the hypocrisy sometimes especially people who are examples of their faith and are just weekend evangelists. These are people of all walks, some are good some are bad. If you claim to have a spiritual side and are attached to a religious order, I'll hold you to that and weigh it in judgement of you. I've met and known people of all denominations, some are close friends others in passing through my life. I don't care if you have beliefs, just practice what you preach. Even then I don't really care, if we get along we get along. In my years I've met Christians (mostly), witches\warlocks, Buddhists, Muslims, Satanist, bohemianism and other denominations, including agnostics and atheists. Some are more righteous than others, but we are all human and prone to mistakes, acts of cruelty and compassion. None more or less capable than the other, and everyone has different sets of morals and codes of conduct. Although, self-righteousness and judgmental, ignorant attitude are more intrinsic to some than others.

Atheism: The reason I'm an atheist, because religion means nothing to me personally, I have interest in it, because my peers and friends do. I like to understand their mind set. I like some of the traditions and the history, it is interesting and has shaped some parts of culture and the world in different ways. Do I personally buy into it? No. Will I ever? Probability is unlikely, since I've been involved with churches\faith organisations, spiritual people at differing stages of my life, have also tried to and resulted in non-belief, but not from lack of friends trying to instill it in me.

Skepticism: I am a skeptical person, I have a lot of interest in science. I only bang my chest at Spiritual people when they make claims that can be tested and actually proven. Like hollow earth, young creationists, intelligent design etc.

I like hearing about different ways of life, we have moved into a strong Jewish suburb. I've had very little to non-existent exposure to this culture back in Australia. So I've been making the most of it, my neighbor is a Jewish family, and they make me what I'm told is traditional Jewish food and drop it over some times. Our kids come home from school singing songs and have home work of different ways, they are teaching me about the different traditions.

I'm not at the familiarity with them yet to start asking questions, and they have done nothing to force any views. They don't hide it, and I don't get the impression they will care if I'm a non-believer. I've also started to take an interest in Zen Buddhism, because of the influence on karate. So I'll hopefully start looking at that as well.

That's my story, that's what being an Atheist is to me, if you think it's called something else that's fine.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are my beliefs\non-beliefs (what ever you want to call it). These are my opinions. Everyone will be different.

Religion: Dogma, I believe the church is a business alongside any other company. And prone to greed, corruption, and unscrupulous acts along side any other corporate entity. Both also capable of fantastic, innovative and selfless acts. As personal experience to testament to this, I have work many years with youth, homeless and mentally unstable people on a volunteer basis, and a professionally with-in IT scopes. And have seen things that absolutely repulsed me, with certain organisations that should not behave that way.

Spiritual: It's non-denominational to me, and it sums up what I think of people with "faith". It's the person I believe in, not the doctrine. But to profess to be a person of faith, I automatically expect you to behave the way your doctrine is expecting you too. (within reason of course). But I dislike the hypocrisy sometimes especially people who are examples of their faith and are just weekend evangelists. These are people of all walks, some are good some are bad. If you claim to have a spiritual side and are attached to a religious order, I'll hold you to that and weigh it in judgement of you. I've met and known people of all denominations, some are close friends others in passing through my life. I don't care if you have beliefs, just practice what you preach. Even then I don't really care, if we get along we get along. In my years I've met Christians (mostly), witches\warlocks, Buddhists, Muslims, Satanist, bohemianism and other denominations, including agnostics and atheists. Some are more righteous than others, but we are all human and prone to mistakes, acts of cruelty and compassion. None more or less capable than the other, and everyone has different sets of morals and codes of conduct. Although, self-righteousness and judgmental, ignorant attitude are more intrinsic to some than others.

Atheism: The reason I'm an atheist, because religion means nothing to me personally, I have interest in it, because my peers and friends do. I like to understand their mind set. I like some of the traditions and the history, it is interesting and has shaped some parts of culture and the world in different ways. Do I personally buy into it? No. Will I ever? Probability is unlikely, since I've been involved with churches\faith organisations, spiritual people at differing stages of my life, have also tried to and resulted in non-belief, but not from lack of friends trying to instill it in me.

Skepticism: I am a skeptical person, I have a lot of interest in science. I only bang my chest at Spiritual people when they make claims that can be tested and actually proven. Like hollow earth, young creationists, intelligent design etc.

I like hearing about different ways of life, we have moved into a strong Jewish suburb. I've had very little to non-existent exposure to this culture back in Australia. So I've been making the most of it, my neighbor is a Jewish family, and they make me what I'm told is traditional Jewish food and drop it over some times. Our kids come home from school singing songs and have home work of different ways, they are teaching me about the different traditions.

I'm not at the familiarity with them yet to start asking questions, and they have done nothing to force any views. They don't hide it, and I don't get the impression they will care if I'm a non-believer. I've also started to take an interest in Zen Buddhism, because of the influence on karate. So I'll hopefully start looking at that as well.

That's my story, that's what being an Atheist is to me, if you think it's called something else that's fine.

I see you have found the mainstay of Judaism...food! Jews don't preach or try to convert people, quite the opposite if you expressed interest we'd be shouting, no, no! We don't have a institutional 'church' either, there isn't an overall governing body. Rabbis aren't priests they are teachers. If you express interest your neighbours will tell you about Judaism, well their version lol, probably not quite the same as mine, they will not expect you to believe anything, certainly not what they believe. Personally I'd be happier in the company of athiests and agnostics than committed Christians, (sorry but it's true)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Religion has been used as a political tool from day one. "Belief" is very powerful.

I know atheists who keep it to themselves as well as people of faith. But even "atheists" believe in something... and those beliefs are exploited. For example, a very good childhood friend of mine is atheist and because of that he jumped right on the Obamacare bandwagon of wanting to force Christian based organizations to provide coverage for abortion.

Even though he's also homosexual and feels it's not right to legislate who someone can marry, he didn't hesitate to support legislation that would force somebody else to do something contrary to their beliefs. Eventually, he saw the irony in it and capitulated... but the point is, his "beliefs" were used to garner support from a political power, in both cases actually.

A guy a work who is a christian told me one weekend, he didn't actually believe in god, it's just the way he's been raised. Think he wanted to get it off his chest. I don't use him as my Christian example. Don't know if he's homosexual or what political party he follows, wasn't relevant to the discussion. Just told him to hang in there and work it out, what ever he's been doing is ok, he's a good guy. And if he's happy who cares.

Last edited:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
A guy a work who is a christian told me one weekend, he didn't actually believe in god, it's just the way he's been raised. Think he wanted to get it off his chest. I don't use him as my Christian example. Don't know if he's homosexual or what political party he follows, wasn't relevant to the discussion. Just told him to hang in there and work it out, what ever he's been doing is ok, he's a good guy. And if he's happy who cares.

Bacon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And the Inquisition. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Inquisition.html

And the Pogroms

And the terrorism and forced conversions...in the present day http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Soc/soc.culture.indian/2007-11/msg00125.html

sSome very strong accusations about Christian groups http://freetruth.50webs.org/D4f.htm

However I've heard from many Nepalese that the Christian groups are very aggressive and are trying to rid the country of both Buddhists and Hindus. so much of this I know is true.
http://freetruth.50webs.org/D4h.htm#Nepal

DARN IT!!!! I can't believe I forgot to mention Torquemada and the boys... I ALWAYS throw that one out along with the Crusades in conversations like this.

Thanks for adding it

As for the rest, sadly it does not surprise me at all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gurkhas here are targeted by our local 'born again Christians', they go around to their houses to try and convert them, Gurkhas of course in the tradtional ways of Nepal invite them in and offer them food and drink ( as they will all visitors), the 'missionaries' ( how they style themselves) take advantage of this hospitality and presume on the Nepalese way of being polite to visitors to harangue their hosts into becoming Christian. A lot of the church groups in Nepal itself are funded by Americans who use withholding medical care and schooling to blackmail the Nepalese into converting. If you aren't a Christian you can't use the medical facilities or schools funded by these groups.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/24/evangelical-christians-homophobia-africa

http://www.alternet.org/story/153543/the_christmas_war_on_atheism%3A_what's_the_religious_right_whining_about_when_it's_really_non-believers_who_are_under_attack

http://buddhism.about.com/b/2008/05/30/buddhists-v-christians-in-sri-lanka.htm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2640084.ece

I think Christians need to see what is being done in their religions name.

Latest Discussions