What do you say to the person who believes...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
“Martial Arts classes are a waste of time and money and only fools part with their money. If you take them you get a false sense of security. There is no way a guy/gal like you would have a chance against someone bigger, stronger or faster, like me. In a real fight, anyone would be able to take you down, unless you got lucky. C’mon…lets see, take me down, I won’t even resist”

Sound familiar? I am sure we all have been faced with someone like this at some point in time. What do you say to them? How do you change their mind? Do you try? Do you explain that Martial Arts is more then just fighting and self defence? Do you explain your true purpose of practicing your art? Or do you just leave narrow minded people be?

Hmmm, 6'3" and about 285 to 295 lbs depending upon fluctuation.

Bigger? A few are out there, but most of them are not badder as well. Why because I am the worst. ;) Oh, you mean in skill and and attitude. :D

I agree that a false sense of security can occur from training in any art, including the newer modern systems and styles.

Yet one can also think that the locks on their door are sufficient.

One can also think about their car door lock being enough to stop the person from stealing it.

All it does is slow people down. If they truly want through then there is no hope.

You can slide down this slope until one needs a gun while they are hiding in their basement or in their panic room.

One can slide further down the hill with the escalation of not only going out but needing bigger and more defensive or offensive fire power.

Total paranoia is not good for comfort during living life.

Total lack of awareness is not good for survivability.

Somewhere in the middle with or without martial arts or gun training or what have you is required.

Do I explain to them? Sometimes I try. If they seem interested or are just ignorant. Other times I just walk away.

As to explaining to them in person, they almost always fall back to the fact that I am a big guy and they are smaller than me.

Yet, even those who play profesional Basketball and are known to be "Bad Boys" do not bother me. If they want to talk we do, if they do not then we move on.

Yet, if the smaller person understands that it is not over until they decide it is over and give up. This is what Martial Arts can teach a person, I said can, not shall for it does require a willing student.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"OH YEAH??!!" pau choi, right to the chin!!

then I walk away, muttering darkly under my breath about these "foolish humans and their puny minds", while the nervous tic in my left cheek gets more and more obvious...

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
“Martial Arts classes are a waste of time and money and only fools part with their money. If you take them you get a false sense of security. There is no way a guy/gal like you would have a chance against someone bigger, stronger or faster, like me. In a real fight, anyone would be able to take you down, unless you got lucky. C’mon…lets see, take me down, I won’t even resist”

Sound familiar? I am sure we all have been faced with someone like this at some point in time. What do you say to them? How do you change their mind? Do you try? Do you explain that Martial Arts is more then just fighting and self defence? Do you explain your true purpose of practicing your art? Or do you just leave narrow minded people be?

Yeah, it sounds familiar. In the cases that I've dealt with I've just explained that it's a fun way to get in shape and that having any self defense training is better than none at all, even if it won't work in all situations.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Really? Welcome to paying the guy's rent for the next three years. Way to go, there, pal. :rolleyes:

Just for the record it would be that way in a real fight, like he said!
Terry

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Heh. A friend of mine asked a similar question, albeit less derogatory. He had come to train once or twice, and thought the stuff was neat. However, he was curious about how to get out of a situation with someone bigger when they have you in a bear hug. So, I had him put me in one (he's roughly the same height as me, just not as big). As soon as I felt his hands come together, I headbutt'd him in the face. Not hard, but enough to let him know I could have. :D *chuckles* good times...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All in all, I would consider that character the same as a forum troll. The only thing I'd ever consider doing to him, would be to plant a sign in his yard that says "Please Do Not Feed The Troll!"

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
a good response could also be...

"I am sorry, I missed what you said...oh wait, I will remove my foot from your *** since that seems to be from where you speak...sorry about that" :D

Lisa I would give you some rep. points on this one but I have to spead the fortune!!!
Terry

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Lisa I would give you some rep. points on this one but I have to spead the fortune!!!
Terry

Thanks Terry, that was my tongue in cheek answer, sorta speak ;)

Peoples narrow mindedness is exactly that. It is THEIRS. In the past what has really annoyed me is that often these same people have their own "extra cirrcular activity" that they enjoy and I never have been able to understand why they think theirs is "okay" or has a usefull purpose but the MA I was doing, didn't. It often made me cock my head to the side and kinda look at them oddly with an expression of "I don't get you".

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
"OH YEAH??!!" pau choi, right to the chin!!

then I walk away, muttering darkly under my breath about these "foolish humans and their puny minds", while the nervous tic in my left cheek gets more and more obvious...

Ah Ha! See? I KNEW that was really you in your avatar! :lol2:

I would (and have) responded almost exactly the same way as Shesulsa. "Yea, I'm sure you're right."

Tool
%think%

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just walk away. This kind of fool has already made up his mind. It's best not to argue with a fool - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well my situation is a little different than what is listed. Just about every day of the week most of my neighbors are outside talking and they have a few beers and sit in their lawn chairs till around 10. And on the weekends I am out there with them and on days when I don’t have class I may go sit for a little while but not all night. And they all give me static about karate and or as they often say “do you have Kung Fu class tonight”. Then proceed to make Bruce Lee noises and other hilarious movements.

Most of the time all is well and I really do like all of them but on most weekends they all get pretty drunk. I drink some times but I am to a point now that I am content to not drink and watch them make an *** of themselves. That is where I catch a lot of flack. I hear all the time, “what are you to good to drink with us” and many, many uglier comments and then it gets to the subject of Kenpo. Now granted I am small or well I should say skinny. I’m about 6’ and around 165 and they are well not. Most being around 220-260 and only one is in any real shape. I want to say again I think of all of them as a friend and they help anytime I need to do something. But it cracks me up because they go on an on about how it is a waste of time, or how I could be sitting with them and drinking instead of putting on “Pajamas and doing Karate” LMAO if they only knew. But this last Sat night, my wife and kids and I were across the street. Like always and Mike he is a real nice guy but get goofy when he is drunk. He has told everyone about 100 times (While drunk) “I’m 52 years old” and he likes to prance around and bow up to just about everyone. Well he was on me about not drinking and said “So why don’t you just have a beer,” I told him well Mike I am on a different path than you are. Oh well that just chapped his hide real bad. He jumped up and said so just what does that mean young man. Now at this point I am doing my best to keep a straight face. I said well you can’t get a black belt sitting on the couch. Also in about 5 years I will have a black belt and be working on my second. You my friend will probably have serousis of the liver and a larger waist line. Everyone got real quiet. LOL and I stood up since now he was headed toward me because I didn’t just say that to him. Anyway I talked him down. And all is well but I still catch a lot of flack about going to Kenpo all week. Maybe I should ask one of them to be a partner so I can practice my techs

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Just for the record it would be that way in a real fight, like he said!
Terry

LMMFAO. Convinced me. Everyone's a bad ***. To assume victory in any given situation is a strategic flaw. Make that mistake on the wrong person and, not only will you get sued, but they might just hang around a minute to mop the floor with you.

I suppose us Muay Thai/Boxing guys should stick to our ring fights and leave the "real" fighting to teh deadliez mArTial artzitsts.

Or you could act like a normal person and not let petty trash-talk get to you. Either way, you'd still be making somebody a few grand with that kind of a response. IMHO, that's worse than losing a fight; who really won, that one?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
LMMFAO. Convinced me. Everyone's a bad ***. To assume victory in any given situation is a strategic flaw. Make that mistake on the wrong person and, not only will you get sued, but they might just hang around a minute to mop the floor with you.

I suppose us Muay Thai/Boxing guys should stick to our ring fights and leave the "real" fighting to teh deadliez mArTial artzitsts.

Or you could act like a normal person and not let petty trash-talk get to you. Either way, you'd still be making somebody a few grand with that kind of a response. IMHO, that's worse than losing a fight; who really won, that one?

Sir what does Muay Tai have to do with anything, and I was joking from the get go and most of the people here know that, why are you being this way towards me?:asian:

Did I offend you or somebody you know?
If so sorry!!!

Terry

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
...they often say “do you have Kung Fu class tonight”. Then proceed to make Bruce Lee noises and other hilarious movements.

LOL! I think that is hilarious! I get the same flak except I actually take Kung Fu and they always ask, "when do you go to Karate class?" and then proceed to do the crane stance from Karate Kid.

*chuckling*

I just think people are so funny when they don't know what the hell they are talking about!

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Sir what does Muay Tai have to do with anything, and I was joking from the get go and most of the people here know that, why are you being this way towards me?:asian:

Did I offend you or somebody you know?
If so sorry!!!

Terry

Allow me to take a moment to humbly apologize. The way I read that made me believe you actually were suggesting beating the poo out of some jerk that thought MA was worthless. Then I further took the "real fight" thing to mean that Muay Thai/Boxing was not effective under real circumstances. Excuse me, I spent too much time on boards where trash-talk and art v. art discussions are commonplace.

Again, I apologize. :asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
funnytiger said:
LOL! I think that is hilarious! I get the same flak except I actually take Kung Fu and they always ask, "when do you go to Karate class?" and then proceed to do the crane stance from Karate Kid.

*chuckling*

I just think people are so funny when they don't know what the hell they are talking about!

Yeah, I get some of that nonsense from my co-workers. They are geat people and they are only kidding, but it does get a bit old. I just smile and nod, and when they make jokes I just tell them "you'd be dead before you hit the ground". That usually cracks them up some more and we all get a good laugh. It's all in good humor, and I usually play along and say something outrageous like that to add to the fun.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Allow me to take a moment to humbly apologize. The way I read that made me believe you actually were suggesting beating the poo out of some jerk that thought MA was worthless. Then I further took the "real fight" thing to mean that Muay Thai/Boxing was not effective under real circumstances. Excuse me, I spent too much time on boards where trash-talk and art v. art discussions are commonplace.

Again, I apologize. :asian:

Sir I also apologies to you. :asian:
Terry