Shogun the Movie

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am watching Shogun on DVD for the first time. I saw the mini series ran on TNT or TBS 20 years ago. I love the movie. It is a great story. Who else has seen it? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing the series as a kid 20 years ago. It was great.. and a little scary.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the series and watch it about once per year.

Does the DVD have good extra features on it?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
I am watching Shogun on DVD for the first time. I saw the mini series ran on TNT or TBS 20 years ago. I love the movie. It is a great story. Who else has seen it? What are your thoughts and opinions?

I watched it when I was kid and thought it was awesome! I believe about a year or two ago, it ran again on AMC classics or something. I remember catching parts of it then, but couldn't watch the entire thing. I would love to get that DVD, but there are others at the top of the list though.

Funny you mentioned it, I was just thinking about that movie recently.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The version that I've seen didn't have the Orson Wells narration/translation on it... still liked it well enough.
Any movie with Tishiro Mufune definitely gets my vote/stars/thumbs-ups.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
The version that I've seen didn't have the Orson Wells narration/translation on it... still liked it well enough.
Any movie with Tishiro Mufune definitely gets my vote/stars/thumbs-ups.

Tishiro Mufune did an amazing job. What a presence.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's one of my favorite movies even though it has some historical glitches in it. Who cares? GREAT movie!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's a great movie and as much as I wish I could say I saw it when I was a kid, I can't. But it was still a great movie, historically inaccurate in more than a few places, but a great movie... Did I say it was a great movie???

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I loved it as a kid, though I seem to remember it being out in the late seventies on one of the networks, not the cable channels. I don't think we even had cable television yet.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw the videos (rented from Netflix) last year and the series was EVEN BETTER than I remembered it. True, historical innacuracies abound, but it is still a very well crafted series - particularly for its time. I read the book as well some years ago and really loved it, although, the part where one of the characters is an expert in "judo" didn't quite fit the 1600's (Judo was developed in the 1880's).

Latest Discussions