What are the most universal effective takedowns?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the autocorrect on that post, Tony. I'm now trying to figure out exactly what "sushi nage" would be. :D

I learned sukui nage years ago in my NGA training, but never had a name for it.
Think, "scooping throw" and you'll be good. Can be a mean competition throw, and that's meant in just about every sense of the word.

Speaking of interesting takedowns, not that you'd want to use it during a situation where they could punch you and it'd be OK by the rules, or no rules, but kosoto-gari works really well for me, when I'm the taller, longer-limbed orangutan in a match.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think, "scooping throw" and you'll be good. Can be a mean competition throw, and that's meant in just about every sense of the word.

Speaking of interesting takedowns, not that you'd want to use it during a situation where they could punch you and it'd be OK by the rules, or no rules, but kosoto-gari works really well for me, when I'm the taller, longer-limbed orangutan in a match.
It seems like every time I’m reminded of a Judo throw I’ve forgotten, my planned curriculum expands.

Reactions: JP3

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

In a fight where punches are allowed, kosoto gari works well in conjunction with a body lock. It’s one of the first takedowns taught in classic Gracie jiu-jitsu.

Reactions: JP3

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean by "body lock", Tony?

Here's an example of one, but I'm not sure that's the one Tony was talking about specifically.

My personal favorite takedown is the standing Kimura.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of one, but I'm not sure that's the one Tony was talking about specifically.

My personal favorite takedown is the standing Kimura.
Which part is the body lock? I'm trying to grasp the meaning of the term.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Around the 25-27 second mark.

Edit: And the 55-60 second mark.
Glad to see you come back.

In the striking environment, do you think any take down that require "clinch" (such as bear hug) is always more difficult to do than those that doesn't? If we just talk about the upper body contact, what can be easier than just to use your leading arm to jam your opponent's upper arm?

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad to see you come back.

In the striking environment, do you think any take down that require "clinch" (such as bear hug) is always more difficult to do than those that doesn't? If we just talk about the upper body contact, what can be easier than just to use your leading arm to jam your opponent's upper arm?

You mean why do you let your opponents arm dangle freely? Supposedly, that free arm cant do much because you have their hips locked, they're off balance, and they dont have any reasonable targets. I've never used that body lock in a striking situation, so I cant say one way or another.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a fight where punches are allowed, kosoto gari works well in conjunction with a body lock. It’s one of the first takedowns taught in classic Gracie jiu-jitsu.
Nomenclature, Tony. When you say "body lock," what is it that you're doing. Might be one of the "spine locks" I use, but maybe not. I mean, I can see a kosoto working great from a clinch, like that. Is that what you mean?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mean why do you let your opponents arm dangle freely? Supposedly, that free arm cant do much because you have their hips locked, they're off balance, and they dont have any reasonable targets. I've never used that body lock in a striking situation, so I cant say one way or another.
It's possible but I won't say that's the "most universal effective" strategy. What's the easiest way to establish contact in the striking environment when fists are flying? IMO, the bear hug is not the one.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nomenclature, Tony. When you say "body lock," what is it that you're doing. Might be one of the "spine locks" I use, but maybe not. I mean, I can see a kosoto working great from a clinch, like that. Is that what you mean?
Yeah, in a BJJ/wrestling context a "body lock" is basically a grip with both arms around the opponent's torso. For the kosoto gari set up I like an under-the-arms* bear hug/clinch from the front or side with your center of gravity lower than your opponent's and with your forearm across the small of their back pulling their hips in tight to yours. I teach my students to get the top of their head under the opponent's chin, which helps to break their structure. It's a control position, not a submission like a joint (arm/wrist/finger/knee/ankle) lock.

*(You can also do a body lock from the side with the opponent's near arm trapped, but that would typically be used for a lifting throw rather than breaking the opponent down backwards as in the video above.)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*(You can also do a body lock from the side with the opponent's near arm trapped, but that would typically be used for a lifting throw rather than breaking the opponent down backwards as in the video above.)
I got you. In the side position, that's where I'd find taniotoshi quite often, too.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BonnieRickson2.jpg

My wife always liked this one. Worked well for her.

Latest Discussions