Western 10th Degrees. Fake or legit?

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Given that at every 3 years, than someone can get 10th dan in 30. Per if it is a matter of skill and not years, I know of some lower ranks whom can best higher ones. The simple fact is that some can have higher skill than others in shorter amount of time. Should they be rank the same or higher than those with many more years, but have lesser skill?
Plus add the 10 years to get to first degree to make it 40 years.

But that formula dosen't work in the higher Dans. Joe Moreira was a 6th Degree when I met him in 1998 and still is a 6th degree. Same with Rickson, been a 7th maybe as long as Joe's 6th. Rorion and Reylson have been a 9th degre for a long tome too.

I think the 3 year formula is only early on in the low Dans.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
10 years to get a shodan seems awfully inflated.

Not necessarily, especially given that a more traditionally oriented school may be aware of the Chinese maxim that for the first 10 years you aren't even a serious student and are ill prepared for advanced instruction...

if you cant get the basics down sooner than that......there is something wrong with you or your teacher.

I don't know that shodan (or its relative equivalent) is limited to the basics. Some arts are, and I don't think I'll get much disagreement here, far more complex and require more information than others. This is one of the issues expressed upthread, the inability to apply the standards of rank equitably across cultures, styles and arts. Too many variables.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
10 years to get a shodan seems awfully inflated. if you cant get the basics down sooner than that......there is something wrong with you or your teacher.
Skilled martialartists get to shodan within 6-7 years but the beginner is average 10 years in BJJ.

Getting your basics down might get you your blue.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
However, the mentality of rank and title in the view of Occidentals is that to claim such represents experience. Therefore the common wealth, is "drugged" into the same mindset. To use a psychological term in pun, the "opiate of the masses".

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
Skilled martialartists get to shodan within 6-7 years but the beginner is average 10 years in BJJ.

Getting your basics down might get you your blue.
the basics IS black belt.
north americans have somehow made the whole black belt acheivement a mystical and unobtainable level........i stand by my comment

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
the basics IS black belt.
north americans have somehow made the whole black belt acheivement a mystical and unobtainable level........i stand by my comment
You're right about the basics EXCEPT with BJJ. The Brazilians have set their own standard on this, not the Americans.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ye$, and a high $tandard it i$, you will need to do a lt of clinic$ and $seminar$ to met the $tandard

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Ye$, and a high $tandard it i$, you will need to do a lt of clinic$ and $seminar$ to met the $tandard
There are some who have broken the standard in BJJ.

Matt Thornton boasts that his students only need to "give game" to the students that are the next belt level up. But he comes from JKD and he may see things his own way.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well.....let's say he started training at 5, started competing at 8.......10 years to black belt would put him at 15, first UFC at 25 and a 4th or 5th dan.....thats 2 years per rank.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lets see since he was a kid. Again how many childrens rankings hold a lot of water??

So the question is why can a Gracie go above black belt but outsiders are being held back?

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
well.....let's say he started training at 5, started competing at 8.......10 years to black belt would put him at 15, first UFC at 25 and a 4th or 5th dan.....thats 2 years per rank.

Ok same scenario.
10 years to 1st black, age 15. 3 years per dan for the early Dans. age 24 4th Dan by the accepted standard. As they get higher in the Dans it takes longer, much longer.

In the last decade he recieved only 1 Dan grade.

Latest Discussions