Western 10th Degrees. Fake or legit?

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
You still seem to avoid the questions asked of you on other posts and yet you feel the need to post on this topic

Well, now that he's here....

Mr. Calkins, in one thread (that part has been unfortunately deleted) you claimed that your sifu has proven levitation. The question I asked then was that to whom he has proven it ? I never received an answer, but maybe the question got deleted before you had a chance to reply to it...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well one thing is for sure, my recent Chinese instrstructor nevered laid claims nor gave rank. You practice until you get it right.

He doesnt even want to help me undersatnd Chinese.

Everytime I attempt to find a word/phrase, with his mouth and expression looking like he atsted something bitter, he says;

"Eh, no learn Chinese. Dis Amica. We speak Amica."

On ocassion, Shi mu/Si mouh, would give us a cultural lesson, per tradition or language.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
On ocassion, Shi mu/Si mouh, would give us a cultural lesson, per tradition or language.
Like when she told you to find out what "grandmaster" is, right?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Like when she told you to find out what "grandmaster" is, right?
Yeah, sometimes there is a response in answer form, but some are in question/request form. The latter racking my brain...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For a moment there I thought you could have been someone else without the flag.....cute flag....i didnt see it in the fun icons.....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
As for system heads or what was once called Head of Family. "Soke" when in old days an insturctor began a new system he was Head of his Family and that was who he basicly taught his are to so SOKE was the Head of Family. In america we teach to the masses. and not just family. (Eventhough I look to my students like Family and Close friends.) So in my Dojo I am "Head Of Family"
But by this reasoning, you could call yourself Baron of Perry because you own the land under your own school (if you do). It's like those who declare themselves professors or Ph.D.'s because they think their study of the martial arts justifies it. It's just not what the term means.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
But by this reasoning, you could call yourself Baron of Perry because you own the land under your own school (if you do). It's like those who declare themselves professors or Ph.D.'s because they think their study of the martial arts justifies it. It's just not what the term means.
Or people who call themselves "Dr" after not for medical but other doctrine....
Or people that get a degree in home-off line....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Or people who call themselves "Dr" after not for medical but other doctrine....
Or people that get a degree in home-off line....
Doctor is Latin for Teacher. Heres the "big" listing. I also confirmed this in 2 seperate Latin-English dictionaries.

http://www.answers.com/doctor&r=67

Doctor means teacher in Latin. It has been used continuously as an honored academic title for over a millennium in Europe, where it dates back to the rise of the university. This use spread to the Americas, former European colonies, and is now prevalent in most of the world. As a prefix – “Dr” – its primary designation is a person who has obtained a doctorate — that is, an advanced university degree whose completion involves extensive research.

However, in the last two centuries of popular use in English-speaking and many other countries, the noun doctor has come to be used widely to refer to physicians (medical doctors), who are also granted use of the prefix as a courtesy title, whether or not they hold doctorates. However, they can also, but not necessarily, obtain doctorate later in their career.

Those folks arguing over the term "Soke" may wish to look at this:
http://www.answers.com/topic/soke

Soke is not -just- a Japanese word.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I can point out 20-30 dojos that have Sempai as Assistant Instrucotr. (WHAT EVER THE TRUE JAPANESE TRANSLATION IS>>>) No body cares.

Mr Calkins,
We realize that you do not have much experience in the martial arts and are not very knowledgeable about things Japanese. We want to help a newcomer like yourself to be able to discuss things like an experienced martial artist rather than remain in ignorance.

To try to help you understand where we stand, I ask you to answer why you use Japanese terms if you do not want to follow the Japanese definitions? I honestly do not know why assistant instructor is any less of a title because it is English and not Japanese. Sempai does not mean assistant instructor in Japanese. And I can't see why you would want to use a Japanese term and not use it in the same way as the Japanese do.

If it was a term everyone knows like "karate" then I can imagine why you would use it. Even a person with as little knowledge about Japanese martial arts terms like yourself knows that karate is an art of punching and kicking. But you have to explain what sempai is to 99 percent of the population. It does not make sense to me to use a term that has to be explained, only to change the translation to suit your fancy.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I can point out 20-30 dojos that have Sempai as Assistant Instrucotr. (WHAT EVER THE TRUE JAPANESE TRANSLATION IS>>>) No body cares.
Sir, clearly somebody does care - some of the traditional Japanese martial artists here care a great deal, and this is quite an insult to your fellow martial artists. Please excuse me, but as "Soke," is this how you wish to be considered?
SokeCalkins said:
Also the Belt "THEROY" I love hearing from the Mister Know it alls.... I have worked with many masters that have varafied this to me.
1. The bolded reference disturbs me - whom are you referencing?
2. Could you provide some names of masters who verified the theory, please?
SokeCalkins said:
I did Just the fancy colors of today I said were made because we don't do the Outside training the Dirty theroy has been confermed for years.
The sentence doesn't quite make sense as structured - I assume this is a statement expanding on the dirty belt theory?
SokeCalkins said:
Even Angi Uzau confermed it do you want to doubt this master.... I think not.
Please forgive my ignorance - who is this?
SokeCalkins said:
Even the Japanese Expert that thinks he knows everything. This time you have made a mistake Live with it. Not all History you think is right is right.
This is a rather personal slam and I'm a bit surprised it didn't get you into a bit of trouble before this new forum was created. Just a point to remember when you post in the other forums.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Please forgive my ignorance - who is this?

I'm only guessing, but I think he is referring to Angi Uezu, apparently a very high ranking Isshin ryu karate sensei. Here's something about him and some more here

(Note that I'm saying apparently only because I know nothing about him)

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
All just need to remember one thing. This is the 21st century. Not Old Nipon of Japan or China.

Then why use traditional Japanese names and titles ?

SokeCalkins said:
Titles are to show levels of training.

Wrong again Calkins ! Titles used are meant to denote your position in the organization.

SokeCalkins said:
Schools in America mostly use the Japanese titles to help with rank notation.

Yes, Schools that has affiliation with traditional dojo which legitimitely link them to Japan, Okinawa, China, Korea..etc. This school may use the curricullum set by the hombu dojos

SokeCalkins said:
I mean if you have a 1st black belt and don't teach full time. They started using Sempai instead of Asst. Insrtuctor. It was easier. Then Sensei, Renshi and I have even heard Dai-Sensei, Shihan, Hanshi... and so on.

I don't think I understand what you're posting here, Can you clarify ? Also, you may have heard of these titles, but considering your horrific missued of martial knowledge that you have provided, or should I say entertained us with would know the significance of these titles.

SokeCalkins said:
I trained with two great men Kyoshi Robert Austin and Sensei Robert Koch and they teach American Kenpo. IKKA / AKKI and they use the Japanese titles. It is their choice.

Don't know who these men are and thier background and I am not familiar with American Kenpo and thier uses of Japanese titles, this would make a separate thread if provided your "allegation" about thier usage is correct. I hope these men are aware that you are speaking on thier behalf on this forum?

SokeCalkins said:
Also I would in this end of the world rather be called Soke Calkins instead of Grand Master or Master Calkins. I think that just sounds to pretentious and puts an air of Servatude to the art. I dont want to be called MASTER... Students are not Slaves.

Again, you are starting to show your level of education in the martial arts and it does not look favorable. Again you need to delve deeper into the meaning and its usage of soke's titles and japanese language. I do hope that these students of yours are smart enough to go out and get their facts and history somewhere, otherwise you will have a dojo full of uneducated and misinformed group of people.

SokeCalkins said:
As for system heads or what was once called Head of Family. "Soke" when in old days an insturctor began a new system he was Head of his Family and that was who he basicly taught his are to so SOKE was the Head of Family. In america we teach to the masses. and not just family. (Eventhough I look to my students like Family and Close friends.) So in my Dojo I am "Head Of Family"

But you do not have lineage to Japanese Martial arts other than the two unknown art you profess to have studied ? Call yourself Headmaster of the Unborn Enlightened american karate, This would give you more credibility. Don't you think ?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TimoS said:
I'm only guessing, but I think he is referring to Angi Uezu, apparently a very high ranking Isshin ryu karate sensei. Here's something about him and some more here

(Note that I'm saying apparently only because I know nothing about him)
Thank you. :asian:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*rubs chin* So, Mr. Calkins, what kind of Korean arts have you trained in?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
SokeCalkins said:
All just need to remember one thing. This is the 21st century. Not Old Nipon of Japan or China.
Then why use traditional Japanese names and titles ?
Good question.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Those folks arguing over the term "Soke" may wish to look at this:
http://www.answers.com/topic/soke

Soke is not -just- a Japanese word.
Hey, thanks for the "heads up".

But the debate will still go on because the issue of rank is at question along with title.

And the org that Mr Calkins is asscociated with, make attempts to reference the word with the Japanese culture-I think. I guess in a analogy, it would be like a Asian saying the English word "tree" and re-defining it as meaning a type of stone. But, if the word "tree", is re-define in such as to mean "wood/plant", although not wholely accurate, there is association.

Cultures have always used things from other cultures rather its food recipes or origins (like Italy with spaghetti), clothing patterns/style, industrial ideas/concepts, medical, and so too word association via etymology. I guess I shouldnt use Japanese, Chinese, Korean, English terms because they have links, or association frim other origins.

People are concern with words, but take Karate, for example, Japan had "taken/derived" the term from Okinawan martial arts.

I rather meet someone in person and know them for a while than to cause disrespect.

My signature is my summary.

Richard

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Mr Calkins,
Don Roley said:
A.) We realize that you do not have much experience in the martial arts and are not very knowledgeable about things Japanese. We want to help a newcomer like yourself to be able to discuss things like an experienced martial artist rather than remain in ignorance.

B.) To try to help you understand where we stand, I ask you to answer why you use Japanese terms if you do not want to follow the Japanese definitions? I honestly do not know why assistant instructor is any less of a title because it is English and not Japanese. Sempai does not mean assistant instructor in Japanese. And I can't see why you would want to use a Japanese term and not use it in the same way as the Japanese do.

C.) If it was a term everyone knows like "karate" then I can imagine why you would use it. Even a person with as little knowledge about Japanese martial arts terms like yourself knows that karate is an art of punching and kicking. But you have to explain what sempai is to 99 percent of the population. It does not make sense to me to use a term that has to be explained, only to change the translation to suit your fancy.

A.) Very politely done. If ignorance is bliss-there are a lot of happy people out there. However, I cannot totally justify ignorance as non-intelligent. If there is a council or organization that award such rank, it should have been examined by him (Mr Calkins), if such organization understood certain terminology. If the terminology, had a certain cultural reference, i.e. Japan(ese), it should be used as that cultural definition. Before I seek to reference a word (in this case-title) from somewhere, I would take it upon myself to understand its meaning before its usage. Mr. Calkins has fallen into a snare of desired recognition instead of individual merit.

B.) With this subject, the issue at hand is recognition. Thus, the reason any such organization exists and people like Mr. Calkins seek it. Also, along the issue of rank, if anyone desires to claim such a high rank or title, can being doing out of many reasons. Such reasons as ego, recognition (either by peers or for fame sake), business competition, reference to years training, etc. The issue of Dans/rank lay in the confines of it self. The impossibility to actually make it a “universal standard”

C.) So, given the term Karate, an American who practices and teaches an art of punching and kicking can use it as a generic reference term for other to associate? So, say for example, one can use it on the sign at their school knowing what it means and using as a reference?

IMHO, if I were in Mr Calkins position, I would re-think the usage of the term, find another-accurate one or re-think rather to openly post it. Basically, I would give it up and not use it. But this is my HO.

Latest Discussions