Wall bag fillings

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many years ago I saw plastic pellets being used for these wall bags:)

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't use wet sand, end up like concrete...very saw paws :(

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mmm. Sounds like an idea. They would have to be smooth though, they might rip the material I would think.

Correct. They must be smooth. I use aquarium pebbles. They are small, mostly rounded, and smooth.
Been using them for many years, no issues.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. They must be smooth. I use aquarium pebbles. They are small, mostly rounded, and smooth.
Been using them for many years, no issues.

Funnily enough I was thinking the same. Used to keep fish. Pebbles in one section, sand the other two sections. Sounds like a plan :)

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
The bag in my club is filled with 1/4" SS ball bearings. Although they are, of course, very hard, the nice thing is that they flow past each other on impact because of the low friction between balls. Thus the bag actually has a fair bit of give to it.

To each his own of course, but after using this bag, I'm never going back to rice and beans :)

Yes, but I am not Terminator Jake104 :)
Frankly, I don't have robo-hands either so I don't hit this bag as hard as I might hit one filled with marmalade. The point is, in order to get a good bone-conditioning impact where it's needed (on my knuckles and metacarpals) I don't have to accumulate abuse to my elbows and shoulders by slamming full-force into an immovable target.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't have robo-hands either so I don't hit this bag as hard as I might hit one filled with marmalade. The point is, in order to get a good bone-conditioning impact where it's needed (on my knuckles and metacarpals) I don't have to accumulate abuse to my elbows and shoulders by slamming full-force into an immovable target.

No idea about the terminology, but my fists, elbows, forearms are safe. My shoulders too. Anyway, I am blessed with strong bone structure. The day I don't, I fall over if you see what I mean.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have robo-hands either. My right hand was broke and all four metacarpals were pinned back in 03'. The sand bag has helped in its rehabilitation. Granted it's been almost 12 years. I didn't hit it or anything for a while after the injury. Gradually I did. And the bag helped with the physical and mental rehabilitation. Trust me after that injury at first I never wanted to hit anything again with that hand. Now I wail a away with that hand without fear.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rice is a good idea...I wonder why I never thought of that before. I use sand and my sifu used either sand or like...#6 shot or something. BBs. Not fun those.

Sand always ends up working it's way out of a little hole. I can see rice working better.

Nice bag you got there!

Latest Discussions