Wall bag fillings

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
My lovely wife bought me this little beauty for xmas. Never owned one before and I'm wondering what you guys recommend I fill the sections with? Classes at my school don't recommence until the week after next and I'd like to get some use out of it before then
20141227_225644-1.jpg

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my, kind of girlie here, but looks pretty. Anyway, go to wicks ot B&Q and get some sand. I bought a 3 section wall bag. I think it is fine sand, but could be wrong. Anyway, yeah sand, then the bucket.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh my, kind of girlie here, but looks pretty. Anyway, go to wicks ot B&Q and get some sand. I bought a 3 section wall bag. I think it is fine sand, but could be wrong. Anyway, yeah sand, then the bucket.
I find sand is to dense. Rice will shift and yield. It will break down over time and have to be replace. Sand is too dense. Pee gravel or chick pees would be good for beginners. Wall bag training should temper the fist, palms, wrist over time.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find sand is to dense. Rice will shift and yield. It will break down over time and have to be replace. Sand is too dense. Pee gravel or chick pees would be good for beginners. Wall bag training should temper the fist, palms, wrist over time.

Thanks for the advice. Who would I see for chick peas though.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mung beans...you can get them at an Asian food store.

Stay away from sand...it collects moisture over time and can become like concrete. As said above, rice breaks down, so not a good choice either.

IMPORTANT: do not hang bag directly on wall. It is too hard of a surface and will damage your joints. It is better to put a two by four strip at the top and another at the bottom and put a pliable piece of plywood over that. Mount the bag to that so that it then has some give to it when being struck.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mung beans...you can get them at an Asian food store.

Stay away from sand...it collects moisture over time and can become like concrete. As said above, rice breaks down, so not a good choice either.

IMPORTANT: do not hang bag directly on wall. It is too hard of a surface and will damage your joints. It is better to put a two by four strip at the top and another at the bottom and put a pliable piece of plywood over that. Mount the bag to that so that it then has some give to it when being struck.

Very good advice. Thanks!

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
My lovely wife bought me this little beauty for xmas. Never owned one before and I'm wondering what you guys recommend I fill the sections with? Classes at my school don't recommence until the week after next and I'd like to get some use out of it before thenView attachment 19123
Nice bag! I got the same one from my lovely wife two Xmas's ago. Very well made. I use sand I steal from the local play ground with cat turds and bum urine in it. Perfect density! Haha, JK! I used All-purpose play sand from Home Depot. Works good for how I use it.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest if you hang it on dry wall put a backing piece of plywood behind it. I learned the hard way. I eventually put a hole in the dry wall prior to that.

Edit: I didn't see yak sao already mention something similar. I still put mine on the wall though.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chinatown in the asian stores for big bags. TRS brand in the UK, Indian food brand.

Do you know how much in volume would be a 2kg Chick Pea bag be? IE, enough individual Chick Peas, rather than the weight. Would there be enough to fill one section for example. Can get a 25kg bag of sharp sand for £1.91. Would assume the 2kg Chick Peas would be around a fiver.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you know how much in volume would be a 2kg Chick Pea bag be? IE, enough individual Chick Peas, rather than the weight. Would there be enough to fill one section for example. Can get a 25kg bag of sharp sand for £1.91. Would assume the 2kg Chick Peas would be around a fiver.
I would guess a few quid for a couple of kilos. But I only use them for cooking. [emoji4]

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess a few quid for a couple of kilos. But I only use them for cooking. [emoji4]

Think the best way of doing is to try both. That way I don't feel that I am discounting anybody, so I can find out what feels best for me.

Last edited:

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Never owned one before and I'm wondering what you guys recommend I fill the sections with?"

mung beans initially...then progress from there under the guidance of your Sifu.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Never owned one before and I'm wondering what you guys recommend I fill the sections with?"

mung beans initially...then progress from there under the guidance of your Sifu.

I see and respectively get the point, but having already used sandbags a few years ago, is it going to be that much of an issue

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I see and respectively get the point, but having already used sandbags a few years ago, is it going to be that much of an issue

I guess it depends on how in-depth your wing chun family's conditioning program is(?). Some lineages don't pay it too much value in these modern times...others have a very structured and regimented step by step program.
This is where your Sifu can best guide you.
If you/your hands-fingers-palms-forearms etc are already somewhat conditioned as you say...then mung beans may be a waste of your time.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how in-depth your wing chun family's conditioning program is(?). Some lineages don't pay it too much value in these modern times...others have a very structured and regimented step by step program.
This is where your Sifu can best guide you.
If you/your hands-fingers-palms-forearms etc are already somewhat conditioned as you say...then mung beans may be a waste of your time.

I do from old, but these days I don't think that medically, it stands up anymore. I have been testing myself recently. For a start, I got to the normal punch bag with no gloves, went well, but pad with my gloves. Been experimenting with a bit, with another heavy bag, same result. Wrist aches a bit, but fingers fine. Yeah, that could also be completely wrong. Could I have you're opinion please :)