Wall bag fillings

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice bag! I got the same one from my lovely wife two Xmas's ago. Very well made. I use sand I steal from the local play ground with cat turds and bum urine in it. Perfect density! Haha, JK! I used All-purpose play sand from Home Depot. Works good for how I use it.
In all seriousness -- if you're going to fill a bag with sand, buy the sanitized play sand, not the stuff you'll find for construction uses like mixing into mortar or laying pavers. The sanitized stuff will have the critters killed... The other? You never know what may grow inside your bag.

I'd still recommended using either rice, beans, or rags. All are more forgiving to your hands.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness -- if you're going to fill a bag with sand, buy the sanitized play sand, not the stuff you'll find for construction uses like mixing into mortar or laying pavers. The sanitized stuff will have the critters killed... The other? You never know what may grow inside your bag.

I'd still recommended using either rice, beans, or rags. All are more forgiving to your hands.

I see Danny T has agreed, just getting even more confused! Okay, sorry if I am being abrupt, but what do I do?? One section sand, one beans, and maybe the main bag being bigger, could be rice? Guessing no really due to different weight. I could do with a concerted opinion please :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would use rags. I've used rags for kick bags before and they take a beating well without deforming too much if they are packed good and tight. They also carry a good deal of weight and are easy to remove and reseat if things do get malformed. It's easier to control how tight you want the pack too.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Danny T has agreed, just getting even more confused! Okay, sorry if I am being abrupt, but what do I do?? One section sand, one beans, and maybe the main bag being bigger, could be rice? Guessing no really due to different weight. I could do with a concerted opinion please :)
This is one of those things that there's going to be no "one" answer. Some styles and teachers will recommend certain things based on their own traditions, experiences, and beliefs. If you pushed me -- fill it with rice or rags. Both are cost effective, both are reasonable in terms of weight to fill the bag with. Rice is "harder" but conforms though rags can compress and get might hard, too... I keep a speed bag filled with rice and periodically hang it up to hit to condition my hands...

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of those things that there's going to be no "one" answer. Some styles and teachers will recommend certain things based on their own traditions, experiences, and beliefs. If you pushed me -- fill it with rice or rags. Both are cost effective, both are reasonable in terms of weight to fill the bag with. Rice is "harder" but conforms though rags can compress and get might hard, too... I keep a speed bag filled with rice and periodically hang it up to hit to condition my hands...

Looks like we kinda thought alike on this. Yeah I had thought about the dirty sand if you will. Yeah thought about what nasty little insects were there, or could be. So decided on sand that been bleache. Well, something like that. I am going with rice that it will more synchronized to its size. IE, squashing together and be hard and compact. I can't have spongy or light if you see what I mean.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use rags. I've used rags for kick bags before and they take a beating well without deforming too much if they are packed good and tight. They also carry a good deal of weight and are easy to remove and reseat if things do get malformed. It's easier to control how tight you want the pack too.

I'll keep that in mind for a kicking bag. Thanks :)

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wrist aches a bit, but fingers fine. Could I have you're opinion please :)

Well, without actually being there and seeing what you're doing, it sounds like your wrist joint needs some training. Impact training to be more specific. Barring any previous injuries to that wrist, I would think you'd need to start with "stabilizing" the joint by introducing, slowly at first, "instability" exercises. This works wonders for weak joints or even mildly injured joints. It has for me anyway. Example: whenever I injure my shoulder joints by doing too many pullups...I spend a few days taking it easy (no pullups) and holding a static pushup position with my hands in gymnastic rings (unstable in ALL directions). This forces my shoulder joints to compensate in a non-stop fashion (i.e. 1 or 2 minute reps). In a few days...presto! Fixed! :punch:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, without actually being there and seeing what you're doing, it sounds like your wrist joint needs some training. Impact training to be more specific. Barring any previous injuries to that wrist, I would think you'd need to start with "stabilizing" the joint by introducing, slowly at first, "instability" exercises. This works wonders for weak joints or even mildly injured joints. It has for me anyway. Example: whenever I injure my shoulder joints by doing too many pullups...I spend a few days taking it easy (no pullups) and holding a static pushup position with my hands in gymnastic rings (unstable in ALL directions). This forces my shoulder joints to compensate in a non-stop fashion (i.e. 1 or 2 minute reps). In a few days...presto! Fixed! :punch:

Yeah no doubt. Thing is, I have always had wrists. Basically my grip can let me down. It is a pressure problem, hence weak wrists. How could I fit that do you think? I do have a Eagle Catcher for finger conditioning, but could that help the wrists, maybe?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not sure how to put a picture on here. But the bag says screened and washed. For use only as play sand.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't use sand! I am agreeing with "... either rice, beans, or rags. All are more forgiving to your hands."
My hands are pretty well conditioned. The sand i use has pretty much held up. I have thought of changing to something harder. Just not sure of what to put in it?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
My hands are pretty well conditioned. The sand i use has pretty much held up. I have thought of changing to something harder. Just not sure of what to put in it?
Sand is too dense for long term conditioning and no damage.
If you want something harder or denser why not just hit a brickwall? Long term you will damage you hands. I am 60 and have some arthritis in my hands my doctor says has come due to the amount of punching I've done over the years. When I explained what I do he feels as other here do that rice is to dense as it breaks down. It does have to be changed out from time to time. Sand does not give enough in a wall bag short term you will get tougher hands but long term - be careful.

Many of the old training methods were great but remember they were waring. Also, something else to ponder; in 1900 the average life expectancy of a male in the U.S was 46. Today it is 79. The damage you cause will be with you for the rest of your life. Many males begin to see the long term affects of joint damage starting in their 40's, others in their 50's and 60's. Most of the old timers were gone by the time they would have seen the long term affects.

I highly discourage the use of sand in wall bag training and practice.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting! Really makes me think (light bulb)! Train smarter not harder... I'm in my 40's and I already feel like damaged goods! I can only imagine what 60 is going to feel like.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I'm in my 40's and I already feel like damaged goods! I can only imagine what 60 is going to feel like.

Jake, I'll be turning 60 this summer. I'll let you know exactly how it feels.

Now as to bag filling, I generally use cheap pinto beans, sometimes throwing in a little rice. Pure rice packs down pretty hard, while the pinto beans move around better. Both break down over time. I haven't tried the traditional choice of mung beans. Last time I checked they were a bit pricey.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jake, I'll be turning 60 this summer. I'll let you know exactly how it feels.

Now as to bag filling, I generally use cheap pinto beans, sometimes throwing in a little rice. Pure rice packs down pretty hard, while the pinto beans move around better. Both break down over time. I haven't tried the traditional choice of mung beans. Last time I checked they were a bit pricey.
Hmm..I'll try that. Question should I boil and refry them? Jk.. I'm hungry right now. Sorry couldn't help myself:D... No seriously, I have always used sand, so I'm curious to see how the pinto beans or Mung beans work out. I'm not sure what a mung bean is . I'll have to google.

Hey Steve, we missed you out there today. We trained yesterday too. Hope to see you sometime. Take care!

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
Chick peas, or dried pulses. remember to drive up into the bag with the lower three knuckles of your hand.

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gonna go for chick peas just because my mother in law has an enormous bag of them in her garage and I can nab some for free.
Thanks for all the tips guys

Latest Discussions