Walking dead...problems...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the show, "The Walking Dead," but one thing annoys me a little. The zombies would make way too much noise to just appear behind people. Two parts of the show in particular struck me, the first, from the first season, the first camp site. Every body is sitting around, in the middle of the woods and all of a sudden there are zombies coming out from between their vehicles. They would have been able to hear those things coming from several miles away. There are no vehicle sounds anymore, and the zombies would just crash through the woods making so much noise they would be impossible to miss. The next one happened when Dale died. He turns around, in the middle of a cow pasture, and the thing is behind him. Once again, it would have made so much noise that Dale could have had 90 percent hearing loss in both ears and still heard it. Other than that, I like the show...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[video]http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6739482/official-spoiler-rules[/video]

Last edited:
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's friday, the one show I mentioned was from the first season and the other one was two weeks ago...so about Rick and Shane.....:)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm on a discussion board that has lively posts about the show... www.roamersandlurkers.com
There are discussions about why couldn't one character hear a zombie coming up behind them and bla bla... simplest answer "suspension of disbelief".
The show in-of-itself is absolutely groundbreaking. The theme(s), special effects (gore), language, all of it you'd never seen it on TV 5 years ago. I love it. Have even written a fan-fiction novel based on the universe that the show (and comic) is cast in, all original characters, wrote it because it inspired me a lot to do so and fired my own imagination to where I can knock out a 5000 word chapter in a couple of hours.
If you haven't seen it, it's great. Last episode of season 2 is this coming Sunday. It'll prove to be epic. You can catch season 1 and 2 on line to catch up. I already own season 1 dvd's ... can't wait for the next set. It's the first television show that has truly grabbed my interest in a long, long time.

4 stars Joe Bob says check it out.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the show, "The Walking Dead," but one thing annoys me a little. The zombies would make way too much noise to just appear behind people. Two parts of the show in particular struck me, the first, from the first season, the first camp site. Every body is sitting around, in the middle of the woods and all of a sudden there are zombies coming out from between their vehicles. They would have been able to hear those things coming from several miles away. There are no vehicle sounds anymore, and the zombies would just crash through the woods making so much noise they would be impossible to miss. The next one happened when Dale died. He turns around, in the middle of a cow pasture, and the thing is behind him. Once again, it would have made so much noise that Dale could have had 90 percent hearing loss in both ears and still heard it. Other than that, I like the show...
When Dale was whacked the lone zombie was walking around in the dark and I do not think had much need to make a big racket. Poor Dale, he spoke with great wisdom and but I do not think he had great empathy with or understanding of those whom he was addressing. As to making noise, perhaps the walkers only vocalise when they become aroused at the smell of food? Like a dog would I mean.

And why was Shane zombified? What was going on there?

As long as Daryl survives I am happy. My fav character by FAR :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never thought of it that way, you may have ruined my Zombie experience for ever..........

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It isn't the moaning, and hissing that I am referring to but the fact that they are not aware of their environment. As they shamble around they would break through branches, step on things that make noise, and even in that field, the grass was knee high. As it walked through it would have made noise crunching the grass down. At night like that, with no other noise around, you could have heard it coming miles away. That's all, it is a little thing which I do mostly ignore. I thought it might spark some conversation since I haven't seen a walking dead thread here.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When Dale was whacked the lone zombie was walking around in the dark and I do not think had much need to make a big racket. Poor Dale, he spoke with great wisdom and but I do not think he had great empathy with or understanding of those whom he was addressing. As to making noise, perhaps the walkers only vocalize when they become aroused at the smell of food? Like a dog would I mean.

And why was Shane zombified? What was going on there?

As long as Daryl survives I am happy. My fav character by FAR :)

Lots of heavy discussion about how that one walker managed to get behind Dale in an open field and not be seen or heard. Again the suspension of disbelief is required for that.

Shane (and Randall) became zombies more likely from what Jenner whispered in Rick's ear at the CDC... (rumor has it.. <spoiler> that everyone is infected and all will turn to zombies irregardless of the manner of death, unless of course severe head trauma).

Daryl is an extremely popular character because of his total bad-*** attitude yet soft guy interior (he kept searching for that lost girl). His back story from what is known so far gives him credence to his tough guy persona. Raised in a alcoholic white-trailer-trash abusive home, with this older brother, Merle being in and out of juvie jail. Did you see the episode where he talked about himself being lost in the woods for days as a kid and finally made his own way home and first thing he does is make himself a sandwich ?
Love the guy. Love how he rides (his brother's) chopper and it sports an Nazi SS symbol on it... so irreverent yet reflective of the home life he grew up in.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It isn't the moaning, and hissing that I am referring to but the fact that they are not aware of their environment. As they shamble around they would break through branches, step on things that make noise, and even in that field, the grass was knee high. As it walked through it would have made noise crunching the grass down. At night like that, with no other noise around, you could have heard it coming miles away. That's all, it is a little thing which I do mostly ignore. I thought it might spark some conversation since I haven't seen a walking dead thread here.
I do not know why fiction zombies walk into stuff. I would imagine that being undead, their intellect is reduced to a hunt for prey. Why when they are already dead? I do not know that either. I think the logical position of a zombie is quite self-defeating. Still, they do not seem much for logic and things. I hope you are enjoying the show though even with the environmental inconsistencies. Who is your favourite character?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lots of heavy discussion about how that one walker managed to get behind Dale in an open field and not be seen or heard. Again the suspension of disbelief is required for that.

Shane (and Randall) became zombies more likely from what Jenner whispered in Rick's ear at the CDC... (rumor has it.. <spoiler> that everyone is infected and all will turn to zombies irregardless of the manner of death, unless of course severe head trauma).

Daryl is an extremely popular character because of his total bad-*** attitude yet soft guy interior (he kept searching for that lost girl). His back story from what is known so far gives him credence to his tough guy persona. Raised in a alcoholic white-trailer-trash abusive home, with this older brother, Merle being in and out of juvie jail. Did you see the episode where he talked about himself being lost in the woods for days as a kid and finally made his own way home and first thing he does is make himself a sandwich ?
Love the guy. Love how he rides (his brother's) chopper and it sports an Nazi SS symbol on it... so irreverent yet reflective of the home life he grew up in.
Yes, I was wondering about the unmarked dead zombie guards at the municipal yard the other week and now Randall and Shane too. I wonder when more will be revealed about Jenner's revelation at the facility? We are a little behind here in the UK (only had ep12 last night :)) I think it is ironic that Daryl, being most messed up is -to me- the most sane and together individual in the bunch :) He can track and fight and use the crossbow and drives the big bike, badass all the way :D Hope you are enjoying the show too :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think Dale didn't hear that walker coming because he was distracted by the size of his own nostrils. They were like Trans-Am wheel arches.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing was well proven though. Dale was a guy that sure did have a lot of guts. Ewwwwwwwwww...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing was well proven though. Dale was a guy that sure did have a lot of guts. Ewwwwwwwwww...
According to the make up artist in charge, they were chicken breasts... apparently the actor was trying to sneak off set with a bunch of them, and got busted... Also interesting is that the "meat" the zombies eat is just plain ole' BBQ beef or pork with a LOT of Sauce...
Another interesting tidbit... nah don't want to ruin it for you. Got to www.roamersandlurkers.com ... my screen name there is Dead Cave (check out fan-fiction section). Lots of good discussions there when you sift through the haters... lots of women in mourning right now over Shane. Can't imagine why.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
According to the make up artist in charge, they were chicken breasts... apparently the actor was trying to sneak off set with a bunch of them, and got busted... Also interesting is that the "meat" the zombies eat is just plain ole' BBQ beef or pork with a LOT of Sauce...
Another interesting tidbit... nah don't want to ruin it for you. Got to www.roamersandlurkers.com ... my screen name there is Dead Cave (check out fan-fiction section). Lots of good discussions there when you sift through the haters... lots of women in mourning right now over Shane. Can't imagine why.
Yes, I remember that they often use chicken breasts in sauce for guts foley effects too... Still... Ewwwwww :D I think the Shane character changed, though at what point in particular I am not certain. If you look at him towards the end, did you notice he even begins to take on the facial expression and movement of the zombie? He was a great male lead until his character changed and he went from badass to plain bad and which is worrying more than sexy! :) Hey I like your writing! You are the resident scribe it says, you have reached high office over there! You have a talent for dialogue and characterisation and dialogue is not always easy to write convincingly and I hope you are pleased with your efforts. They reflect very well on your writing skill. I wish you well with these things.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yup, that's about the long and short of it. Hoow up to date are you on the issues or are you just buying it in volumes? But you should have come up on that part.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I remember that they often use chicken breasts in sauce for guts foley effects too... Still... Ewwwwww :D I think the Shane character changed, though at what point in particular I am not certain. If you look at him towards the end, did you notice he even begins to take on the facial expression and movement of the zombie? He was a great male lead until his character changed and he went from bad-*** to plain bad and which is worrying more than sexy! :) Hey I like your writing! You are the resident scribe it says, you have reached high office over there! You have a talent for dialogue and characterization and dialogue is not always easy to write convincingly and I hope you are pleased with your efforts. They reflect very well on your writing skill. I wish you well with these things.

IMO Shane was ideally suited to the new environment of survive or be eaten. Problem was that once he (a utter bachelor) gotten a "taste" of family life (wife/kids via Lori and Carl) he realized that he actually wanted it and was having it... until Rick showed up and took it back. That is probably the catalyst to his regression, that and losing his leadership mantle of the group. Then finding out Lori is pregnant and most likely (IMO) with HIS child... he's wanting something he can never have. Thus his several attempts to put Rick in the cross-hairs. Killing Otis definitely showed him (and us) that he was more than capable of taking an "innocent" life.

Thanks for the praise on the writing. Actually what I got there on the site is just the first draft as some of the chapters barely crest 1500 words so they need to be beefed up. The praises from the other forum members has helped spur me along. I originally wanted to just write a 3 chapter short story but it ended up to what it is now. I write off the top of my head with very little pre-planning as far as how things will go. It literally pours out of me as I type. :idunno: I never knew I had it in me or I knew but never really exercised it until last October.
I also written a christmas-quasi-twilight-zone-ish type of story and it's on there as well. Enjoy the group.
Tonight is the night ... a hoard of zombies coming their way.

Yup, that's about the long and short of it. Hoow up to date are you on the issues or are you just buying it in volumes? But you should have come up on that part.
Omar, I've only glanced at the comics... don't have the $$ to spend on buying the issues. Perhaps when I sell my book I'll do that and give it a good read.
A lot of people that read the comics faithfully are chomping at the bit for the arrival of Michone, the Katana wielding bad-*** babe of the story. Rumors say she'll appear in the 3rd season and be a regular cast member.
Everyone else is anticipating the Prison portion to make it's debut in the show as well.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You could try your local library, I know ours has a large anime and graphic novel section now. If they don't have it, you could ask them to buy it for their collection.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
If anything Michonne makes her debute tonight. There's gotta be another big death and somebody tries to leave the group and is rescued by her. But I expect the rescue will close the episode like it did the issue then set up the Warden and the Jail for next season.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
billcihak;[URL="tel:1470909" said:
1470909[/URL]]I like the show, "The Walking Dead," but one thing annoys me a little. The zombies would make way too much noise to just appear behind people. Two parts of the show in particular struck me, the first, from the first season, the first camp site. Every body is sitting around, in the middle of the woods and all of a sudden there are zombies coming out from between their vehicles. They would have been able to hear those things coming from several miles away. There are no vehicle sounds anymore, and the zombies would just crash through the woods making so much noise they would be impossible to miss. The next one happened when Dale died. He turns around, in the middle of a cow pasture, and the thing is behind him. Once again, it would have made so much noise that Dale could have had 90 percent hearing loss in both ears and still heard it. Other than that, I like the show..

Am I the only one who sees the irony in questioning the likelihood of "stealthy zombies" in a show based on the improbable premise of the dead getting up and shuffling around in the first place????:lfao: