Video - Does Judo work for street fights?

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by TMA17, Apr 26, 2019.

1. TMA17

TMA17 Black Belt

Off balancing and breaking structure.

2. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

yes of course it does, probably as well as anything and better than the vast majority of ma,

3. frank raud

frank raud Master Black Belt

Is this seriously a question?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

I think it’s just a title the guy stuck on his video for some reason. The video itself doesn’t seem focused on asking that question. Rather it’s more “here’s a concept from Judo that I like to apply within my Wing Chun”.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. wab25

wab25 2nd Black Belt

Is that concept (the one discussed in the video) not part of Wing Chun? I have been shown that same concept in Judo, Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, Aikido, Shotokan Karate, Shorin Ryu Karate, Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu, TKD, BJJ, MMA, wrestling, Lua and Silat. (when I say "I have been shown" I mean in person and on the mat with instructors from these arts... not on youtube) It would really surprise me if it was not part of Wing Chun... but I learn new things every day.

I was hoping he was going to show how he uses some of the more Judo specific off balancing techniques with his Wing Chun. But instead, he seemed to show the Wing Chun version of a concept that is also used in Judo. Guess I kind of just answered my own question there...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. frank raud

frank raud Master Black Belt

I agree with that, it's the title of the video. I started to watch it, but when he said that he was basically thinking out loud, and hadn't planned the video, I stopped. Don't need to learn judo concepts from a Wing Chun guy with admitted limited exposure to judo.

7. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

The reason is to get views. By doing that he both attracts judo haters who want to hate on the style in the comments and it attracts the judo lovers who want to defend it in the comments

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

One issue with Judo, throws are damn lethal and you dont want to be charged with GBH or worse Murder. Granted im not educated enough in it to provide a full technique overview and any less dangerous take downs they might have. Probably less of a issue for more seasoned Judoka though. (unless they forget they need to obey the law of the land and get stuck in a cell)

Easy enough to ask a boxer or kick boxer to punch/kick you as you try to grab them and adapt from that or go to a MMA class or something to adapt to getting hit, its pretty easy to try and seek out some less lethal takedowns for people who don't know break falls, same with legal advice.

And thats the question answered with the understanding it does work in the street and works better with some easy adjustment in two paragraphs. :p

Cant blame him, i think his psych videos are decent though, but im not trained to really say. Tis the way of youtube.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. wab25

wab25 2nd Black Belt

Judo throws are effective... they can be fight enders if the other guy does not know how to take the fall... But they are not nearly as lethal as you are saying here. Below are some real world Judo throws done on the street, most in real fights. Nobody died. One guy got knocked out, but not dead. No murders.

If you can legally punch or hit the guy, you can throw the guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

Probably not, but i have a quite blunt way of doing English. Worth noting the potential of it if you plan to use it, especially on someone who doesn't know break falls on uneven/rough ground. In terms of lethal force though, go right ahead and do what ever.

11. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    There's nothing particularly "damned lethal" about most throws. There are a few worth avoiding (drop seoi nage, probably uchimata) to minimize the chance of dropping them on their head, but otherwise the risk of death is probably no different than hitting someone hard enough to knock them down.

12. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    By "blunt", you mean "incorrect".

13. CKB

CKB Yellow Belt

14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I have been of the belief for years that if you train Wing Chun and Judo you are a pretty well rounded martial artist.... but then I'm an old guy so take it for what it is worth

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    People have died doing anything with contact - and things without. There's some danger with Judo, but probably no more than playing soccer or basketball.

16. CKB

CKB Yellow Belt

Actually, the statistics quoted in the article suggests otherwise, at least regarding how Judo is practiced in Japanese schools:

17. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

the article suggest they are deliberately beating students to death, that's not really the same thing, beating someone to death has a 100% mortality rate, in Japan, the UK, the USA in fact any where, if judo is involved or otherwise

18. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

I remember there being a bit of a scandal about that a few years back. Judo coaches in the schools were essentially being abusive to students and negligent. Total contradiction to the spirit of Judo and the way it is normally practiced in a respectable dojo.

19. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Or "Hey here is this cool new concept it's called angles"

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I've heard of deaths in Aikido from over-training ukemi, which is probably problematic in Judo as well. My point is that the throws aren't generally more dangerous to life than other combat sports (or sports in general) - which is the assertion Rat made earlier.123