Video - Does Judo work for street fights?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this seriously a question?
I think it’s just a title the guy stuck on his video for some reason. The video itself doesn’t seem focused on asking that question. Rather it’s more “here’s a concept from Judo that I like to apply within my Wing Chun”.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rather it’s more “here’s a concept from Judo that I like to apply within my Wing Chun”.
Is that concept (the one discussed in the video) not part of Wing Chun? I have been shown that same concept in Judo, Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, Aikido, Shotokan Karate, Shorin Ryu Karate, Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu, TKD, BJJ, MMA, wrestling, Lua and Silat. (when I say "I have been shown" I mean in person and on the mat with instructors from these arts... not on youtube) It would really surprise me if it was not part of Wing Chun... but I learn new things every day.

I was hoping he was going to show how he uses some of the more Judo specific off balancing techniques with his Wing Chun. But instead, he seemed to show the Wing Chun version of a concept that is also used in Judo. Guess I kind of just answered my own question there...

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it’s just a title the guy stuck on his video for some reason. The video itself doesn’t seem focused on asking that question. Rather it’s more “here’s a concept from Judo that I like to apply within my Wing Chun”.
I agree with that, it's the title of the video. I started to watch it, but when he said that he was basically thinking out loud, and hadn't planned the video, I stopped. Don't need to learn judo concepts from a Wing Chun guy with admitted limited exposure to judo.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason is to get views. By doing that he both attracts judo haters who want to hate on the style in the comments and it attracts the judo lovers who want to defend it in the comments

D

Deleted member 39746

One issue with Judo, throws are damn lethal and you dont want to be charged with GBH or worse Murder. Granted im not educated enough in it to provide a full technique overview and any less dangerous take downs they might have. Probably less of a issue for more seasoned Judoka though. (unless they forget they need to obey the law of the land and get stuck in a cell)

Easy enough to ask a boxer or kick boxer to punch/kick you as you try to grab them and adapt from that or go to a MMA class or something to adapt to getting hit, its pretty easy to try and seek out some less lethal takedowns for people who don't know break falls, same with legal advice.

And thats the question answered with the understanding it does work in the street and works better with some easy adjustment in two paragraphs. :p

The reason is to get views. By doing that he both attracts judo haters who want to hate on the style in the comments and it attracts the judo lovers who want to defend it in the comments

Cant blame him, i think his psych videos are decent though, but im not trained to really say. Tis the way of youtube.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One issue with Judo, throws are damn lethal and you dont want to be charged with GBH or worse Murder.
Judo throws are effective... they can be fight enders if the other guy does not know how to take the fall... But they are not nearly as lethal as you are saying here. Below are some real world Judo throws done on the street, most in real fights. Nobody died. One guy got knocked out, but not dead. No murders.

If you can legally punch or hit the guy, you can throw the guy.

D

Deleted member 39746

Judo throws are effective... they can be fight enders if the other guy does not know how to take the fall... But they are not nearly as lethal as you are saying here. Below are some real world Judo throws done on the street, most in real fights. Nobody died. One guy got knocked out, but not dead. No murders.

If you can legally punch or hit the guy, you can throw the guy.

Probably not, but i have a quite blunt way of doing English. Worth noting the potential of it if you plan to use it, especially on someone who doesn't know break falls on uneven/rough ground. In terms of lethal force though, go right ahead and do what ever.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One issue with Judo, throws are damn lethal and you dont want to be charged with GBH or worse Murder. Granted im not educated enough in it to provide a full technique overview and any less dangerous take downs they might have. Probably less of a issue for more seasoned Judoka though. (unless they forget they need to obey the law of the land and get stuck in a cell)

Easy enough to ask a boxer or kick boxer to punch/kick you as you try to grab them and adapt from that or go to a MMA class or something to adapt to getting hit, its pretty easy to try and seek out some less lethal takedowns for people who don't know break falls, same with legal advice.

And thats the question answered with the understanding it does work in the street and works better with some easy adjustment in two paragraphs. :p

Cant blame him, i think his psych videos are decent though, but im not trained to really say. Tis the way of youtube.
There's nothing particularly "damned lethal" about most throws. There are a few worth avoiding (drop seoi nage, probably uchimata) to minimize the chance of dropping them on their head, but otherwise the risk of death is probably no different than hitting someone hard enough to knock them down.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not, but i have a quite blunt way of doing English. Worth noting the potential of it if you plan to use it, especially on someone who doesn't know break falls on uneven/rough ground. In terms of lethal force though, go right ahead and do what ever.
By "blunt", you mean "incorrect".

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, while it’s not exactly likely that someone will die as a result of a judo throw on the street, deaths during judo practice is not totally unheard of. And that’s on mats, with people who presumably has at least some training in ukemi. Most of what we do as martial artists has a potential for serious injury and death, circumstances allowing.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2010/08/26/national/108-school-judo-class-deaths-but-no-charges-only-silence/
People have died doing anything with contact - and things without. There's some danger with Judo, but probably no more than playing soccer or basketball.

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
People have died doing anything with contact - and things without. There's some danger with Judo, but probably no more than playing soccer or basketball.

Actually, the statistics quoted in the article suggests otherwise, at least regarding how Judo is practiced in Japanese schools:

“Over the 27-year period between 1983 and 2009, 108 students aged 12 to 17 died as a result of judo accidents in Japanese schools, an average of four a year,” Uchida said. “This is more than five times higher than in any other sport. About 65 percent of these fatalities came from brain injuries.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, the statistics quoted in the article suggests otherwise, at least regarding how Judo is practiced in Japanese schools:
the article suggest they are deliberately beating students to death, that's not really the same thing, beating someone to death has a 100% mortality rate, in Japan, the UK, the USA in fact any where, if judo is involved or otherwise

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember there being a bit of a scandal about that a few years back. Judo coaches in the schools were essentially being abusive to students and negligent. Total contradiction to the spirit of Judo and the way it is normally practiced in a respectable dojo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it’s just a title the guy stuck on his video for some reason. The video itself doesn’t seem focused on asking that question. Rather it’s more “here’s a concept from Judo that I like to apply

Or "Hey here is this cool new concept it's called angles"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of deaths in Aikido from over-training ukemi, which is probably problematic in Judo as well. My point is that the throws aren't generally more dangerous to life than other combat sports (or sports in general) - which is the assertion Rat made earlier.

Latest Discussions