Watching street fight/attack videos ?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog and @drop bear , peace. :)
Actually, drop bear says what I want to say. By 'distraction' I mean from feint to non-powerful strike, just to stimulate a reaction as said by drop bear.
Setup and distraction is quite the same to me. Sorry about my English skills. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog and @drop bear , peace. :)
Actually, drop bear says what I want to say. By 'distraction' I mean from feint to non-powerful strike, just to stimulate a reaction as said by drop bear.
Setup and distraction is quite the same to me. Sorry about my English skills. :)

Yes setup and distraction are in union. Fient and reaction are one of the same. Basically it is called a fight brain, calculates on the fly, but with inherent structure. But of course forget signature moves, just do what is necessary.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. As I learned them, low kicks are faster, just as or more strong, and therefor more difficult to defend; we don't stand on our arms or head. High kicks can do a lot of damage, if they connect. But as they tend to take more time to connect, they are more easily defended against by either moving toward the opponent, or out of range.

It is also quite hard to follow up on a head kick. Where a low kick is a bit easier.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is also quite hard to follow up on a head kick. Where a low kick is a bit easier.

You're projecting. It is apparently quite hard for you to follow up on a head kick. Not everyone has that problem.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So once in how many years of training?

Irrelevant, since we don't TRY to break each others legs during training. We specifically try NOT to hurt each other, and we try really really hard not to cripple our partners.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I first moved to this area two years back, I checked out the local martial arts scene, and ended up training at one school for several months. They were a big fan of these lengthy combos. The only saving grace was that the combos were completely unrealistic and doomed to fail, and that the training was such that when in the role of the "attacker", if I didn't fall when I was supposed to, or where I was supposed to, or punch how I was supposed to, I was casually and straight-facedly informed that I was "doing it wrong."

Had the training quality and realism components been higher, I would have been seriously worried about and by those guys...

I mean, I grabbed your shirt and your response is to break my nose, my fingers, my arm, kick my knee against the joint, throw me on the concrete, stomp my groin and face and then finish with an eye gouge? Remind me not to tick you off...
This sounds familiar to me...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Irrelevant, since we don't TRY to break each others legs during training. We specifically try NOT to hurt each other, and we try really really hard not to cripple our partners.

Yeah. I would have thought defending the effectiveness of a technique i have never done pretty irrelevant as well.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like to practice leg breaks on trees. Too small and too easy. You want something that will bend with the force, but still have enough diametor to present a challenge. Start a little small, and work your way up. I look for a two to three inches. Three or more inches, and you are going to be hard pressed to cut it down.

Latest Discussions