Vegan musclebuilding? Is it possible?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Reducing dairy! What a preposterous idea and I am against it! :lol:.

Because I am a contrary sort of fellow at times, I am now going out to buy some cheese - Cathedral City mature cheddar I reckon ... http://www.cathedralcity.co.uk/products/family-favourites.aspx

Or maybe some from the local butchers ... and get some bacon whilst I am there (tho' maybe not as I am making a lamb jalfrezi tonight) :p.

Yeah but you have good Cheese on that side of the Atlantic :D

I was against reducing Dairy as well, actually I refused to do it for a long time. I have a friend who is a Yoga Therapist who has been hounding me to get rid of dairy for years and have had family tell me I really need to cut down. The Yoga therapist friend is thrilled and my family has not even noticed :D

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reducing dairy! What a preposterous idea and I am against it! :lol:.

Because I am a contrary sort of fellow at times, I am now going out to buy some cheese - Cathedral City mature cheddar I reckon ... http://www.cathedralcity.co.uk/products/fam ilyfavourites.aspx

Or maybe some from the local butchers ... and get some bacon whilst I am there (tho' maybe not as I am making a lamb jalfrezi tonight) :p.

Way to go all Wallace and Grommit on us!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My wife is allergic to a protein found in bovine dairy, so I have had to limit my dairy consumption when cooking at home. We still use a good bit of sheep and goat cheeses, and I still indulge in a great block of cow cheese from time to time. However, I don't do ice cream, I rarely do milk, and I watch how much butter I use.

Personally, I do my best to live my dietary life in moderation. I like meat, but I try to make it the "side dish" rather than the focus of the meal. I like grains, but I also try to make the portion as small as I can. I do my best to have the plate as multi colored as I can for the season.

I think it is important to know where your food is coming from though. I grew up on a farm, and have a lot of respect for the farm to table movement. I have the luxury of living within walking distance of a farmer's market, I belong to a CSA, and have family who own/operate farms to get most of my meat. I know most my food isn't full of artificial ingredients. My vice is ethyl though.. . I'm a sucker for a dry gin martini or a glass of scotch!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I learned a lot from this thread from all the non-experts...but I think I should not consider these ideas true, since none of them are experts, after all, and can offer no REAL scholarly advice...:deadhorse

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Now, now, KD, the fellow I think you are referring to did make a bit of a mistake in the attitude department but let's be kind and cut him a little slack, for we all stick our feet in our mouths occasionally, me more than most I fear :eek:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My wife is allergic to a protein found in bovine dairy, so I have had to limit my dairy consumption when cooking at home. We still use a good bit of sheep and goat cheeses, and I still indulge in a great block of cow cheese from time to time. However, I don't do ice cream, I rarely do milk, and I watch how much butter I use.

Personally, I do my best to live my dietary life in moderation. I like meat, but I try to make it the "side dish" rather than the focus of the meal. I like grains, but I also try to make the portion as small as I can. I do my best to have the plate as multi colored as I can for the season.

I think it is important to know where your food is coming from though. I grew up on a farm, and have a lot of respect for the farm to table movement. I have the luxury of living within walking distance of a farmer's market, I belong to a CSA, and have family who own/operate farms to get most of my meat. I know most my food isn't full of artificial ingredients. My vice is ethyl though.. . I'm a sucker for a dry gin martini or a glass of scotch!

OH MAN!!!!! Set a block of Swiss cheese in front of me :fanboy:…. And then there is this Irish Cheese :inlove:…. Must…stop…thinking…about…. Cheese :banghead: :uhyeah:

Seriously I see nothing wrong at all with moderation and a “Balanced Diet” it as just that the weight gain from dealing with the injuries (and age) and the aches and pains I was feeling combined with what I was reading (and people bugging me) I decided…What the heck….what have I got to lose” I do not eat processed food if I can help it and tend to go for natural and organic. So I am giving it a try for a few months and I will see where it gets me. I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times, but I have also got right back on.

But so far, so good. I have seen no muscle loss and I have been able to get back to my CMA and I have been working out on my Total Gym (Said to impress Chuck…mostly out of fear :anic: :D). I am finding the Total Gym is working best for the injuries I have been dealing with.

One thing I have noticed, if I do fall off that wagon and eat junk or too much meat or have too much dairy...I feel a bit sick. More so with the Junk than the meat or dairy.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:chuckles: Now, now, KD, the fellow I think you are referring to did make a bit of a mistake in the attitude department but let's be kind and cut him a little slack, for we all stick our feet in our mouths occasionally, me more than most I fear :eek:.
Hmm fair enough, since he's new I'll let it slide. But feel free to not cut me slack when i stick my feet in my mouth, I rather enjoy it when people dont :D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect that our relative newcomer has departed, smarting from some imaginary wounds and feeling the injured party - a shame but people make their choices and have to follow the path they take them on.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect that our relative newcomer has departed, smarting from some imaginary wounds and feeling the injured party - a shame but people make their choices and have to follow the path they take them on.

I shouldn't dood it....If I dood it I get a whippin.....I dood it :D

But are you an expert in Phycology with a PhD to back that up in order to make that statement :D

Sorry, I know I should not have gone there...but I am weak from lack of cheese and I could not resist :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Aye, I belong to a CSA, and live less than 10 miles from some small family farms here. I fell in love with the local farmers markets here and have made friends with some awesome people while wandering around the local farmers markets. We keep them going all year round, although right now (winter) the frequency is much slower. The majority of the meats I eat and all of the eggs I eat are local and pastured. Aside from the health reasons, I think that we (as the humans who do eat meat) have an obligation to raise them as kindly and harvest them as humanely as possible.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I have to be in a class shortly I'm afraid I only had time to quickly scan the thread. I hope I can provide some assistance. As a physician, I was taught that the human body can manufacture all but 7? of the required amino acids for making protein. If your dietary source provides adequate amounts of the essential 7, you should be able to make muscle protein. I understand that this may require some variation in plant source ingestion and I would look at that specific issue before settling on a single source such as whey. If however, you propose to build muscle using Vegans, as in how many Vegans can I bench press today; I would advise against it. It seems that Vegans are very focused on a non-violence to animals life style. I would think that as such they may take being used as objects of resistance training as an affront and may actually react non-violently. Off to class, and I hope this helps a little.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, but if as a researcher you are questioning whether using an animal product is bad for you when you are trying to be vegan, you might want to research what the word vegan means. Soy powder could be used for any additional protien requirements and fit the definition of a vegan diet.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Veganism

Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, as well as an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals. A follower of veganism is known as a vegan.

Vegetarianism

Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal; it may also include abstention from by-products of animal slaughter, such as animal-derived rennet and gelatin.

There are a number of types of vegetarianism, which exclude or include various foods.

• Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.
• Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.
• Ovo-lacto vegetarianism (or lacto-ovo vegetarianism) includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey.
• Veganism excludes all animal flesh and products, such as milk, honey, and eggs, as well as items refined or manufactured through any such product, such as bone-char refined white sugar or animal-tested baking soda.
• Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.[25]
• Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.[26]
• Sattvic diet (also known as yogic diet), a plant based diet which may also include dairy (not eggs) and honey, but excludes anything from the onion or leek family, red lentils, durian fruit, mushrooms, blue cheeses, fermented foods or sauces, alcoholic drinks and often also excludes coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, nutmeg or any other type of stimulant such as excess sharp spices.
• Buddhist vegetarianism. Different Buddhist traditions have differing teachings on diet, which may also vary for ordained monks and nuns compared to others. Many interpret the precept 'not to kill' to require abstinence from meat, but not all. In Taiwan, su vegetarianism excludes not only all animal products but also vegetables in the allium family (which have the characteristic aroma of onion and garlic): onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, chives, or shallots.
• Jain vegetarianism includes dairy but excludes eggs and honey, as well as root vegetables.
• Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans.

Other types of vegetarians

Individuals may label themselves "vegetarian" while practicing a semi-vegetarian diet, as some dictionary definitions describe vegetarianism as including the consumption of fish, or only include mammalian flesh as part of their definition of meat, while other definitions exclude fish and all animal flesh. In other cases, individuals may describe themselves as "flexitarian". These diets may be followed by those who reduce animal flesh consumed as a way of transitioning to a complete vegetarian diet or for health, ethical, environmental, or other reasons. Semi-vegetarian diets include:

• pescetarianism, which includes fish and possibly other forms of seafood;
• pollotarianism, which includes chicken and possibly other poultry;
• "pollo-pescetarian", which includes poultry and fish, or "white meat" only;
• macrobiotic diets consisting mostly of whole grains and beans, but may sometimes include fish.

Semi-vegetarianism is contested by vegetarian groups who state that vegetarianism excludes all animal flesh.

Currently I would call myself a pollo-pescetarian

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, but if as a researcher you are questioning whether using an animal product is bad for you when you are trying to be vegan, you might want to research what the word vegan means. Soy powder could be used for any additional protien requirements and fit the definition of a vegan diet.

Fair observation. I use a soy protein isolate powder from a company called Dr Ritter, but I think it might only be available in Germany. I've seen similar products in the UK though, and I guess there must be in the US too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I actually don't like Soy, and the OP is correct that whey isn't considered vegan by any vegan I know. The risks of using Soy for men are low, but irrefutable, and with so many other options available, I find it very easy to just avoid it all together.

There are many protein powders that are considered vegan. After trying several, the one I like best that seems to do the trick is hemp protein. Another popular source of protein is peas. But truth is, if you eat a varied diet with a lot of greens and nuts, you're getting plenty of protein. Quinoa is also high in protein.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As Steve posted, there are some documented risks associated with excessive Soy ingestion, as Soy is a phytoestrogen. Beyond that, Soy is in the top 8 food allergens, so, for many people, it may be a good idea to limit the amount of soy in your diet.

Latest Discussions