USOC Slaps Down USAT- Link to Ruling

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
AAU and USAT are already at 30k.

Together maybe. But I don't think either approaches that number by themselves.

Puunui does anyone really want to bring all the groups together. ATU,MAC,AAU because this is what I would like to see. A NGB that is able to work with all TKD Orgs. If we can do that the sky is the limit.

Yes and no. Hard to explain at the moment, and yes we want to include those groups, but perhaps not in the way you are thinking about.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Together correct...I am glad to hear that those groups will be included...I spoke with several people this weekend...most are very skeptical about EP...it is the conventional wisdom that he is connected to HP and that will never work...many have told him this... he will not pull away from Herb...if the USOC accepts the USAT plan we have very little chance for success.
Punnui if we had a strong org that worked will with all groups how many members could a NGB get?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Together correct...I am glad to hear that those groups will be included...I spoke with several people this weekend...most are very skeptical about EP...it is the conventional wisdom that he is connected to HP and that will never work...many have told him this... he will not pull away from Herb...if the USOC accepts the USAT plan we have very little chance for success.
Punnui if we had a strong org that worked will with all groups how many members could a NGB get?

Don't worry about EP. He is part of the past. No one thinks he is the future of usat, except maybe hp, who the USOC understands is the problem. I have been told by many who saw him for the first time at junior team trials and olympic trials that he is a carbon copy of david askinas and bob gambardella before him, that what we need is a taekwondo person in there, not a usat civil servant from another sport. Once the new board is elected, he is gone.

Instead of looking at number of members, I would look to numbers at tournaments. I don't think 10,000 competitors at JOs is out of the question.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think the NGB should be running Nationals the affiliated orgs should. I think that the NGB should be driving membership for the organization. It would be required that the members of the affiliated must also be members of the NGB org... You could raise millions with very little expense and the money could be fumbled back to the athletes, coaches and refs...

How many members do you think?

BTW Mexico is killing us and it only getting worse!!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think the NGB should be running Nationals the affiliated orgs should. I think that the NGB should be driving membership for the organization. It would be required that the members of the affiliated must also be members of the NGB org... You could raise millions with very little expense and the money could be fumbled back to the athletes, coaches and refs...How many members do you think?

We tried that approach and it brought us zero members. Back in the late 90's I believe, USTU and AAU tried to work together. Mr. Friello said that if we brought them into USTU as a Class C affiliated organization with votes on the Board of Governors, that he would bring 10,000 members to the USTU. USTU said ok, brought AAU into the USTU as a Class C member, with votes on the BOG just like NCTA and the Military, and Mr. Friello brought no members to USTU.

The reason why it failed was because AAU has no incentive to bring its members to another organization, and in fact has a disincentive to do so. I have spoken to AAU members, who tell us that they do not like AAU but moved from USTU when the regional qualifier system was put in place. The regional system required that they take two long drive or airplane flights for tournaments (regional and nationals) instead of one and they just couldn't do it, time wise or financially. AAU on the other hand makes it easy to qualify for nationals, but there are all kinds of other requirements that people don't like about it. But they put up with it because it is cheaper than going to a usat regionals and then nationals or jos. These aau members have told me that their roots are with USTU and that they would come back immediately if the USTU tournament system of state qualifier and then nationals were brought back.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In an airport on a business trip allot of what you say is true about peoples attitudes about AAU and many other TKD orgs. I will comment more tomorrow. What you are saying is not quite what I was thinking but I will elaborate more. Some plans fail in the execution.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As far as the AAU and the board of directors(USTU). There are two sides to every story. The AAU has a different take on how that plan was executed. This is the problem that we have no trust between orginizations this is systemic in all of TKD. They were also offered a board seat under the USAT that was not delivered. If you offered affiliated organizations a true voice they would deliver members.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as the AAU and the board of directors(USTU). There are two sides to every story. The AAU has a different take on how that plan was executed. This is the problem that we have no trust between orginizations this is systemic in all of TKD. They were also offered a board seat under the USAT that was not delivered. If you offered affiliated organizations a true voice they would deliver members.

I can't say about what was offered to AAU, but with respect to the USTU situation, that is clearly documented. AAU was given membership in USTU and a voice and vote on the USTU Board of Governors. AAU was given everything they asked for, and in return, AAU brought nothing. And when you think about it, why would they? What incentive does AAU have to sign up their members to USTU/USAT membership for competition purposes? Nothing, which is why they brought no members. But don't take my word for it, go ask some USTU leaders who were around back then. They will tell you the same thing. Mr. Friello takes, he does not give, which is why so many AAU members are all set to jump ship when USAT gets squared away. It used to be the if people did not want to participate with USTU/USAT, they could simply go over to AAU and get the same thing. Well, people did that and found out that it is not the same thing. The biggest and only advantage of AAU over USAT was the fact that AAU made it very easy to qualify for AAU nationals. Once USAT does the same thing, then those AAU members will come back to USAT.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If a well lead org which takes care of it members exists people will flock to that org. I hope that we are about to get that org. Right now the AAU is the best

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We left the USAT for two reasons fair play. The competition was the same we fought the same fighters most of the time. The other reason was coaching at the national team level was much better Limas, Tubbs, Kunkle, Remark, Poos, Martinez and Medina. Meeting Ms Limas was a life changing experience for my family.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We left the USAT for two reasons fair play. The competition was the same we fought the same fighters most of the time. The other reason was coaching at the national team level was much better Limas, Tubbs, Kunkle, Remark, Poos, Martinez and Medina. Meeting Ms Limas was a life changing experience for my family.

Interesting names. We'll see what some of them will do if and when the new administration comes in.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everyone is hopeful for the good of the sport that we get an NGB that works. If we get that I believe all org/coaches in TKD Will support it. If it is a retread of either the USTU or the USAT many will remain skeptical and will stay away until they can make sure that the NGB is headed in the right direction. Most believe we need new blood and new direction. Most have a problem with the control three people have over the NGB. We need to open our minds and look for new solutions.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well as Gorilla knows I had the pleasure of having the AAU national teams and coaches at my school last weekend. The overall consensus was that the USAT was done. But at the same time they believed that the USOC was not doing enough to help bring unity back to TKD and the athletes. I have to agree it seems they are in and doing the exact same thing they fouind them guilty of. I am trying to stay positive but when all you keep seeingis the same BS time after time it is hard. The AAU alt least will give you info if you ask. Mr Friello and the staff is willing to sit down and talk to everybody about anything. That is what I am looking for in a NGB.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree! AAU has treated me and my players VERY well. AAU has a program that works and is FOR THE ATHLETES!

Well as Gorilla knows I had the pleasure of having the AAU national teams and coaches at my school last weekend. The overall consensus was that the USAT was done. But at the same time they believed that the USOC was not doing enough to help bring unity back to TKD and the athletes. I have to agree it seems they are in and doing the exact same thing they fouind them guilty of. I am trying to stay positive but when all you keep seeingis the same BS time after time it is hard. The AAU alt least will give you info if you ask. Mr Friello and the staff is willing to sit down and talk to everybody about anything. That is what I am looking for in a NGB.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It was great training! Thanks for all that you do! Great spaghetti...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The overall consensus was that the USAT was done. But at the same time they believed that the USOC was not doing enough to help bring unity back to TKD and the athletes.

What would you want them to do? Also, what do you means when you say "help bring unity back to TKD and the athletes?" Who or what should be unified?

I have to agree it seems they are in and doing the exact same thing they fouind them guilty of. I am trying to stay positive but when all you keep seeingis the same BS time after time it is hard.

Who is doing the exact same thing?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that we need to put aside the USAT/AAU rivalry and figure out away to work together in the TKD community. Lots of water under the bridge that we need to put behind us. Lots of very long memories on both sides. That I am afraid will never let things go. It is a big problem if we are going to move ahead as a sport in the USA. We need to put this behind us and move forward.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from OTC. We need to put aside old rivaries. The current CEO is not the answer to much baggage with HP. He starts to stammer when ever someone brings up getting Herb out of the org. The old USTU is not the answer. TKD leadership needs to put aside selfish motives and put together an NGB that operates for the sport and the athletes. The current group had it's chance get out. You have done enough damage. Maybe the USTU was a good org at one time but in the end it became corrupt and killed itself. I have heard some good ideas about how the organization can run but I am afraid that selfish interests will not allow the to happen.

Again yes there are those who miss the old USTU but not waiting in the grass to jump back into the song remains the same? I have talked with many senior masters and world class competitors who still smart from a feeling of being used including thier money and have just quit in general even advising against others to become involved. Yes I believe many of us would come back with leadership, BOD and fair representation which means states but it seems that temptation and tribal aliances cannot be molded in to a NGB that will not fail? We need a Taekwondo Messia a second comming so to speak that everyone would be so happy with they would become a deciple? I think there are some very credible humble GM's out there that would fit the mold but know enough about the nature of man to not want the burden in thier life or thier MA.

Latest Discussions