USOC Slaps Down USAT- Link to Ruling

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The USOC understands everything. Already people are positioning themselves for a new administration, thinking that we have short memories. But our true friends are the ones who stand by you during the darkest hour, not when the the sun is about to rise or has risen.

I'm not even an American and even I'm excited and hopeful at the prospect of you guys turning your NGB around!

Fingers crossed for all my American WTF/Kukkiwon friends.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hope you guys in the tall grass will do the right thing when you get your chance because Sport Tkd has been a little short of people doing the right thing over the last few years. Those of us on the outside in the USAT have felt the sting of bad process. I am hopefull that the new leadership of Sport TKD has learned a few things from the past and they are not repeated. I am skeptical but hopefull for a new future at the NGB level. It looks like some of the new proposals have the AAU on the board that is a step in the right direction. We need to bring in all the TKD groups ATU etc.... Membership could increase to 30,000 if we all worked together. Maybe more than 30,000 let's make this an all inclusive NGB. Imagine what we could do for the athletes if we worked together in TKD.

I like the idea of an executive director who is our face to the international community but is not involved in day to day operations. Should be a volunteer position thou with reasonable expenses paid. Master YIC would be a great candidate.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope you guys in the tall grass will do the right thing when you get your chance because Sport Tkd has been a little short of people doing the right thing over the last few years. Those of us on the outside in the USAT have felt the sting of bad process. I am hopefull that the new leadership of Sport TKD has learned a few things from the past and they are not repeated. I am skeptical but hopefull for a new future at the NGB level. It looks like some of the new proposals have the AAU on the board that is a step in the right direction. We need to bring in all the TKD groups ATU etc.... Membership could increase to 30,000 if we all worked together. Maybe more than 30,000 let's make this an all inclusive NGB. Imagine what we could do for the athletes if we worked together in TKD.

I like the idea of an executive director who is our face to the international community but is not involved in day to day operations. Should be a volunteer position thou with reasonable expenses paid. Master YIC would be a great candidate.

The tall grass appears to be getting pretty full. Whenever there is a perceived weakness in the NGB, as happened in 2004, a lot of different groups attempt to position themselves to take over. I have heard already that the MAC has already gone to the USOC to unofficial petition taking over from the current guys, as well as a lot of other, no doubt, including Mr. Perez who has inserted himself into every aspect of this process when as even the committee noted, he didn't file a Section 10.

In May 2003 at the hearing with the USOC Membership & Credentials Committee, AAu's own Mike Friello told me personally at breakfast that he had a 501c3 ready to move and take over when USOC decertified Sang Lee.

In 2003 and 2004, the Ohio contingent did the same and pretty much took over the remediation process. They were thrilled until the Management and Governance Committee appointed by the USOC did not include their names. They sued again and this is how the Martial Arts Commission was born. When JP Chai lost the 2008 election to the Affiliated Director position to Rex Hatfield, again he threatened to sue and thus the compromise that put him in the seat for 2009 and 2010. Rex Hatfield was to be the sole Director for 2011 and 2012. You will note how that came out.

Don't doubt that the tall grass is full of predators: hopefully however the USOC decides to remediate it will be someone (s) who is qualified and can pull the org out of the morass. And from what I hear about the extreme negative state of the finances, the USOC had better be prepared to hand over some cash.

I was told that Eric Parthen testified at the Section 10 hearing about all the plans he has to fix things. I am also told that one of the panel members asked him how he was going to do any of it when they have no money.

Personally I am concerned over the fact that of those submitting these remediation plans, no one came out and asked the membership what they thought. I am concerned that other than maybe one or two (AAC reps) involved actually in preparing these plans represent the membership itself by having been elected. One lesson that should have been learned over the years is that if the membership doesn't buy in, there's no point in heading down that road.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I am concerned over the fact that of those submitting these remediation plans, no one came out and asked the membership what they thought. I am concerned that other than maybe one or two (AAC reps) involved actually in preparing these plans represent the membership itself by having been elected. One lesson that should have been learned over the years is that if the membership doesn't buy in, there's no point in heading down that road.

MAC and AAU's actions would only be a factor in a decertification scenario. We aren't in decertification mode, but rather probation mode. As for not asking the membership, that is incorrect. A lot of people have been asking the membership about their feelings about USAT, USTU, the past, present and future of taekwondo. People are smart and they know who did what, how we got here, and most importantly, what needs to be done to turn this thing around.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not even an American and even I'm excited and hopeful at the prospect of you guys turning your NGB around!

Fingers crossed for all my American WTF/Kukkiwon friends.

Thanks for the sentiment. People are getting excited and hopeful. I think that is a good thing. People haven't had much to be hopeful about at USAT for a long time. People are talking to each other, reconnecting, getting ready. I am sure there will be bumps along the road, and I am sure there are people out there just waiting to point those things out, but at least we are moving away from the old, and towards something new. Mistakes will be made to be sure, but hopefully that can be minimized by selecting the right people for the right jobs, at the right time.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MAC and AAU's actions would only be a factor in a decertification scenario. We aren't in decertification mode, but rather probation mode. As for not asking the membership, that is incorrect. A lot of people have been asking the membership about their feelings about USAT, USTU, the past, present and future of taekwondo. People are smart and they know who did what, how we got here, and most importantly, what needs to be done to turn this thing around.

MAC and AAU actions only show some of the predators in that tall grass for the current remediation.

What people have been asking? and who have they asked? I have yet to see a public request from anyone. So one would assume only those who are specifically asked by unknown persons opinions count? and that is before this remediation starts. Sounds like old boss, new boss, same boss.

Terry? Gorilla? Have either of you specifically been asked your opinions on the remediation and how to fix USAT? or where it should go? Anyone else?

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because you are out of the loop doesn't mean that there is no loop. May I suggest that you use the present time to engage in introspection and reflection, rather than accusation. Accusation is or was, so ten years ago. People are different now and they want different things. They do not want a constant wet blanket on their childrens' dreams. They want hope. They want things to improve and they are willing to do their part to make that happen.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just because you are out of the loop doesn't mean that there is no loop. May I suggest that you use the present time to engage in introspection and reflection, rather than accusation. Accusation is or was, so ten years ago. People are different now and they want different things. They do not want a constant wet blanket on their childrens' dreams. They want hope. They want things to improve and they are willing to do their part to make that happen.

What makes you think I am out of the loop? I would suggest that you engage in introspection and reflection regarding the rights of the members. To date, USAT has not even acknowledged there was a Section 10 hearing, let alone polled members for opinions. The ruling from the USOC leaves plenty of room for interpretation. The actions of the USAT and the CEO since then do not demonstrate any attempt to remedy those areas where the USOC found the USAT out of compliance, such as communication and transparency. I think that those who view the upcoming events skeptically are being realistic. So you are "so ten years ago." People do not want rosey promises, they want actions. They don't want to hear what is going to be done, they want the changes made. They want to see a fair shake for their kids and they want an even playing field and they want it now.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
People don't really want to hear that sort of thing anymore. The days of piling on and the mob mentality from ten years ago is past. USAT pretty much sobered that right up.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
People don't really want to hear that sort of thing anymore. The days of piling on and the mob mentality from ten years ago is past. USAT pretty much sobered that right up.
Really? I think people want transparency and responsible leadership. They appreciate knowing what is really happening versus the pie in the sky letters and notes. Nice thing about this country, no one forces anyone to read anything they don't want to unless you are in school.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? I think people want transparency and responsible leadership. They appreciate knowing what is really happening versus the pie in the sky letters and notes. Nice thing about this country, no one forces anyone to read anything they don't want to unless you are in school.

Ok, then keep doing what you gotta do then.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have given my opinion. That opinion has been passed on. I don't think anyone wants a proposal that has a small volunteer NGB that works with multiple orgs on a contract basis. I want a small NGB that gets maximum memebership by working with the varrious orgs who compete for athletes.

The USAT does not want to hear about anything that does not involve HP.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I want it! I also think its the people who have been "hiding" in the grass that are part of the problem. Instead its people like Rhonda who have put themselves out in front who have enacted the change that is coming. You might not like all that she does but lets face it... She is one of the reasons all this has come about.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep...toubleenuf is right Rsweet has lead the charge. I am sure she has made some enemies along the way but it is time to put aside old rivalries and move forward. It seems we have some tension between rsweet and puunui. Let's put the bad blood of the USTU days behind us and move forward. We have to come together to get this behind us but we need new leadership that will put the sport ahead of their own personal ambition and agendas.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead its people like Rhonda who have put themselves out in front who have enacted the change that is coming. You might not like all that she does but lets face it... She is one of the reasons all this has come about.

She was on the USAT Board of Directors from 2005-2010, serving as Chair from 2007-2009. In addition, she was on the committee that vetted David Askinas and recommended his hire. I agree that she is one of the reasons all this has come about.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's put the bad blood of the USTU days behind us and move forward. We have to come together to get this behind us but we need new leadership that will put the sport ahead of their own personal ambition and agendas.

Been there, done that. The result was USAT.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yep...toubleenuf is right Rsweet has lead the charge. I am sure she has made some enemies along the way but it is time to put aside old rivalries and move forward. It seems we have some tension between rsweet and puunui. Let's put the bad blood of the USTU days behind us and move forward. We have to come together to get this behind us but we need new leadership that will put the sport ahead of their own personal ambition and agendas.

I don't know how you can think there is tension between puunui and I. At one time we were best of buddies, even used to chat on the phone and IM on AOL. He gave me valuable advice when I began my website and was my #1 contributor of USTU documents, like Executive Committee minutes and things. In fact he thought so highly of me that he signed off and sent in my 4th dan to the KKW. I appreciated his time, efforts and energy more than you know.

I totally agree that there is a need for new leadership, although there are a lot of people who have been underutilized in the past and could still make major contributions in the future. The USOC needs to be careful how the remediation is implemented and who it trusts to put in charge. While the USOC thought very highly of the mediator, the mediation failed partly because the mediator was not prepared for the extreme hostility between the parties and let's face it, few deal well with Herb Perez. I again go back to my comments that whatever the remediation is to be, there has to be buy-in from the membership or any plan is doomed to failure. On another thread discussion has turned to the need for a larger BOD. The reasons suggested basically come down to such a small BOD can be easily controlled by a smaller minority bent on their own agendas as has been the case with the USAT,a long with the outside controls. In 2010, three of the ten BOD members resigned over the actions of that BOD and the desire to not have their names associated with the actions of that BOD and its CEO.

When the remediation plan is unveiled and the plans for the elections set, then it is imperative that all who want the organization to move forward ensure that there are not only quality candidates for the positions and that they are researched carefully, but that whomever is deemed a voting category actually vote. Kevin Padilla won by 1 vote. Out of 1000 coaches, approximately 100 or 10% of the coaches voted and Kevin Padilla got it by 1 vote. This shows how important every vote is, whether a USAT election or a US Presidential election. It's work together or fail.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know how you can think there is tension between puunui and I. At one time we were best of buddies, even used to chat on the phone and IM on AOL. He gave me valuable advice when I began my website and was my #1 contributor of USTU documents, like Executive Committee minutes and things. In fact he thought so highly of me that he signed off and sent in my 4th dan to the KKW. I appreciated his time, efforts and energy more than you know.

I don't know if I would go as far to say we were "best of buddies". But yes, I did help you, because that is what my senior wanted. So I listened. Probably the person who helped you the most in your taekwondo career was President Sang Lee. In fact, there is a long list of people who have first hand, personal knowledge about how you show your appreciation.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have called USAT several times to inquire about there current stituation and was told it was really noneof my business. That is one of the reason I get pissed at them. Other times they just say we are working on the problems but then you never hear anything again, the only time I was called back was by membership because something went wrong with there system and I could not register for an event. Other wise they have never ever returned any of my phone calls, it has been me calling them over and over again.

I do agree we need to be working together to make things change but not enough people are kept up to date on what is going on. I know it would be nice to actually know how and why things are being done and being a member and school owner they should tell me something but they don't.