USOC Slaps Down USAT- Link to Ruling

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that we need to put aside the USAT/AAU rivalry and figure out away to work together in the TKD community. Lots of water under the bridge that we need to put behind us. Lots of very long memories on both sides. That I am afraid will never let things go. It is a big problem if we are going to move ahead as a sport in the USA. We need to put this behind us and move forward.

I think competition is good. I think having the AAU program as an alternative can only help USAT in the long run. I like the fact that people have a choice of organizations, that the threat of "if you don't treat us right, we will move to AAU" is hopefully always there. Keeps USAT on its toes. I hope that AAU feels the same way, that if there are significant changes at USAT, then they will have to up their game in order to remain competitive with USAT. So I don't think we need to put aside the USAT/AAU rivalry and figure out a way to work together. On the contrary, I think we need to keep that rivalry going.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again yes there are those who miss the old USTU but not waiting in the grass to jump back into the song remains the same? I have talked with many senior masters and world class competitors who still smart from a feeling of being used including thier money and have just quit in general even advising against others to become involved.

No problem. Those types can stay away. We do not want people who are still smarting from a feeling of being used. Their negative attitudes are as unwelcome as their presence would be.

Yes I believe many of us would come back with leadership, BOD and fair representation which means states but it seems that temptation and tribal aliances cannot be molded in to a NGB that will not fail?

I don't know what purpose it serves to be saying these types of things. It adds nothing to the discussion. Nothing will be unanimous. Fair representation does not mean everyone has to agree. Democracy doesn't work that way. There will always people who disagree, there will always be people pointing fingers making accusations. That is a given. I think that some of that is a good thing. I want people to fight for state association elections, at national elections. The job of the next administration is to make sure such battles are won fairly, and if people violate our election rules, that there are consequences for such behavior.

We need a Taekwondo Messia a second comming so to speak that everyone would be so happy with they would become a deciple? I think there are some very credible humble GM's out there that would fit the mold but know enough about the nature of man to not want the burden in thier life or thier MA.

We don't need a messiah. We need someone with the experience and leadership ability to take us where we need to go. To me, there really is only one person for the job, GM John Holloway. He understands from personal experience and knowledge the strengths and weaknesses of the USTU and USAT approaches and also what has to be done to work through the organization's current challenges. I think he is the only one who can pull it off, and I sincerely hope he gets his chance.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, there really is only one person for the job, GM John Holloway..

he'd have my vote. only question, is that really a possibility or even a consideration? I know he was running for Referee chair or at least trying before all this mess...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
he'd have my vote. only question, is that really a possibility or even a consideration? I know he was running for Referee chair or at least trying before all this mess...

yes, he is still a candidate for the board and will be a candidate, no matter what the remedy imposed by the USOC will be.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i dont see why any of you cares

its getting kicked out of the olympics

when that happens, the whole ball of wax falls apart because you are all set up to cater to that ONE thing. If I was in any of yours shoes, i would be lookign for an ITF school or something NON WTF to latch myself onto

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

maybe. we'll see.

when that happens, the whole ball of wax falls apart because you are all set up to cater to that ONE thing. If I was in any of yours shoes, i would be lookign for an ITF school or something NON WTF to latch myself onto

actually that is not true, "we" don't cater to one thing. even if we are out of the olympics, there is still world championships, pan am games, world university games, etc. In short, it will be like it was prior to the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Puunui....that would be a productive rivalry...competition is good...i don't think that is what we have right now but I like you welcome healthy competition...that is how I make my living...that is great for our sport

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

We also compete in NKF/WKF Karate. It is a great sport also. We compete in WTF TKD because we like it not because it is in the OLympics.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Current Taekwondo schedule, minus the London Games

Feb 9-11Manama, Bahrain4th Bahrain Open
Feb 21-24Las Vegas, USA2012 US Open
Mar 3-4Hamburg, GermanyGerman Open 2012
April 4-8Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt9th WTF World Junior Taekwondo Championships
May 3-6Manchester, UK20th European Senior Taekwondo Championships
May 4HCMC, Vietnam2nd Asian Taekwondo Poomsae Championships
May 4HCMC, Vietnam1st Asian Junior Taekwondo Poomsae Championships
May 5-6HCMC, Vietnam6th Asian Junior Taekwondo Championships
May 7-8HCMC, Vietnam20th Asian Taekwondo Championships
May 20-25Quebec City, Canada2012 Sportaccord Convention
May 25-30Pocheon, Korea2012 World University Taekwondo Championships
Jul 19-23Alexandria, Egypt5th Alexandria International Open
Nov 22Santa Cruz, Aruba3rd WTF World Para-Taekwondo Championships
Nov 23-25Santa Cruz, Aruba2012 WTF World Cup Taekwondo Team Championships
Dec 6-9Medellin, Colombia7th WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships

Current Tae Kwon Do schedule, minus all the above events ( humorous comparison :)

Feb 7Rubb, MontanaJim’s Tae Kwon Do invi-tay-tion-al
Feb 31Bucket, Georgia2012 Backyard Dojo Championships
Mar 7Podunk, TexasBudweiser Tae Kwon Do Throw-down
April 8Coalmont, TennesseeBluegrass Tae Kwon Do Championships
May 20-21Blue Moon, KentuckyJethro’s Tai Kwan Doe
Hootenanny
May 23Boone, North CarolinaFighten’ Mad Championships
May 24Boone, North CarolinaRicky Bobby’s World Tae Kwon Do
Championships
May 25Boone, North CarolinaTae Kwon Do Sensei’s Education Seminar
May 30Little Rock, ArkansasOak Ridge Mountain Tae Kwon Do Jubilee
June 2Podunk, TexasMiller Time Tae Kwon Do jamboree
June 12Pocheon, KoreaWhurs taht at? Championships
Jul 4Richmond, VAPickn’ & a Grinnin
Tae Kwon Do thangy

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
thats everyone's sales pitch though
"You could go to the olympics"

It's not my pitch. In most taekwondo schools, competition is de-emphasized. I asked some of my friends who run very large commercial dojang and they all say that having taekwondo out of the olympics would not affect them. they hear the types of criticism that you like to regularly voice with regard to taekwondo, and they all laugh, all the way to the bank.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thats everyone's sales pitch though
"You could go to the olympics"

Going to the Olympics is highly unlikely! Many parents buy into that one! It is true (you can go) but the guy/girl selling you that dream is not going to be the one to get you there.

Anyone with any credibility does not sell it that way. TKD has much more to offer than just the Olympics. It takes years of training everyday (4-8hrs) just to put yourself in a position to go to the Olympics and then your chances of making it
are slim. If you want to go to the Olympics be ready to dedicate your life to it. Even if you have the dedication you still may not go.

If you are willing to make that sacrifice and work that hard you will be a success in anything that you do.

That is why my kids train so hard because in the end they no that it will lead to a successful life.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Going to the World Championships sounds like impossibility too but I have been lucky to do that 4 times. Believe me if I can do it, when there are so many talented US athletes out there, anyone can. It is so easy to look at all of the negative aspects of taekwondo, usually pointed out by those who are not involved outside of their garage, that the real reason we train is forgotten; to become better. Because I have gotten on a Team does not make me anything but because I STILL try to improve my skill to the best of my ability does. I have realized though this process how little I really know and how much further I must climb. Without my seniors and teammates I am nothing as they have inspired me to achieve not discouraged me from the seemingly impossible.

Words are easy weapons volleyed across endless voids but actions require actual training and must be brandished personally. Sport requires one to be physically, mentally and spiritually superior to their opponent and face the consequences of one’s training methodology. Talking requires nothing.

Train.
Now.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's motivating to compete in tournaments and to meet and learn from dedicated and skilled people. It's motivating to see both poomsae and sparring that is above my level...because I want to become that skilled. I'm no different than the little kid who wants to be like the big kid, or the big kid who wants to be like the adult: we all need models to make real what's possible. The value of Olympics, World Championships, etc. isn't only for those who compete. It shows what's possible through training. I may not (ok, won't) ever round kick as fast as Aaron Cook, but I see what's possible and work toward it. I watch Master Southwick and Master Cooley go head-to-head in poomsae and get all fired up to train poomsae. Higher level events are important motivators for all of us.

Carl

Last edited:

Latest Discussions