USOC Slaps Down USAT- Link to Ruling

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently twin fist has nothng better to do than bash wtf/kkw tkd. He can try to rationalize all he wants but most don't care about the slander. We will move forward with or without the olympics. We did before.
How about we no longer reply to his wtf/kkw bashing posts except to say "well, that is your opinion and you have every right to it".
I personally have never used the olympics as a selling point. I have pointed out that we are the DOMINATE tkd on the planet.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this isnt bashing,

i CAN bash, and you wont be able to deny anything i say cuz it will all be true, but in this thread, i am not bashing

in this thread, i am being serious

who gives a crap about the usat or whatever? it will be irellevant once the golden olympic key is taken away anyhow.

and better question, if it is so bad, why align yourself with them? oh, could it be that you HAVE to to play this game? thats too bad if it is true.

oh, and at one point in time,the backstreet boys were the dominate recording artists in the world, that didnt make them not suck. Popularity doesnt equate to quality. Twillight anyone?

besides popularity fades
quality lasts forever

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am going to chime in here as I speak for my family only: My wife competes because she enjoys the competition and friendship she makes at each and every event, she will never be a elite level Olympic hopeful but she enjoys competing.

Michael my baby enjoys fighting like he says it is like boxing he can hit someone and not get in trouble and he has friends all over the world due to Olympic TKD, that would have never happen if it was not for the sport side.

Caleb my 15 year old say he just likes having the oppotunity to show he can compete with some of the best in his age and weight class, it gives him confidence to try to be better.

Zachary is looking forward to college and being able to compete at colligent games and maybe one day have a shot of making the US team. He is only 17 but if not for TKD who knows what would have happen.

My school has enough people that if it was not an Olympic event nobody would care they love competing.

People compete in football knowing the chance of becoming a pro is slim but yet they still enjoy it and understand itis not pro football thatdrives them but being able to play the game, it is the same way for most Olympic fightewrsit is a game of chess and being able to test there skils against other great athletes. This stuff people hope to be an Olympic athlete is far and in between since we only send two males and females every four years.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thats everyone's sales pitch though
"You could go to the olympics"
Who is everyone? None of the TKD schools around my area pitch the Olympics to potential students. Are you saying you have been to every KKW TKD school in your area and sat down with them to hear a sales pitch and they all said that to you? If so they are fooling themselves much more than they are fooling you.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
this isnt bashing,

i CAN bash, and you wont be able to deny anything i say cuz it will all be true, but in this thread, i am not bashing

in this thread, i am being serious
Yes you can bash, does not make it true. Keep in mind that while Olympics was a goal of the TKD the "Olympic dream" didn't not take shape until 1988, when it was introduced as a spectator sport in the Olympics. By then the art was already practiced world wide and I would gander made itself known as one of the world's most popular martial art if not THE most popular art. So within 15+ years, it thrived and survived without Olympics. If it gets its status taken away as an Olympic sport, it will continue to thrive and survive. Mst. Cole has already pointed out the multitude of competitions that will go on, and he really didn't even put in KKW sanctioned events such as the World Hanmadang or even the US Open National Hanmadang, which has no connection to the Olympic movement whatsoever.

who gives a crap about the usat or whatever? it will be irellevant once the golden olympic key is taken away anyhow.

and better question, if it is so bad, why align yourself with them? oh, could it be that you HAVE to to play this game? thats too bad if it is true.
The organization is not the problem. It is the leadership that is the problem. Do you leave America because you don't like the government? Of course not (well hopefully not). You work towards changes in a grass roots effort to change the leadership, hopefully, for the better.

oh, and at one point in time,the backstreet boys were the dominate recording artists in the world, that didnt make them not suck. Popularity doesnt equate to quality. Twillight anyone?
You are just looking at one instance of a genre. While BSB may fade from popularity the Boy Bands have not and that type of genre is still alive and well throughout the world. If you don't agree just take a look at Korea where the top music are done by Boy Bands like Infinite, Super Jr and ShinEE just to name a few. BTW...BSB still tend to have high ticket sales for their concerts and maintain a popularity even today. The whole Twilight movie may have sucked but the Vampire movie genre it help popularize is thriving quite well. Not everyone is going to be a TKD star, but that still does not mean that TKD will cease to exist or cease to remain one of the world's most practiced martial art.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
everyone keeps feeding the round little troll. All I see are "ignored" blocks when the troll posts. It was nice and TROLL-less for quite some time here. Trolls like to bounce around and cause issues you know. Dont feed him and hopefully he'll dissapear again. maybe for good. no loss since he never has any real input.

:trollsign

if you want a real laugh watch the trolls youtube videos. then you'll learn not to take him serious.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have seen it with my own little eyes, but hey, i am GLAD that that isnt the norm. I am happy to be wrong about that. All the eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

Who is everyone? None of the TKD schools around my area pitch the Olympics to potential students. Are you saying you have been to every KKW TKD school in your area and sat down with them to hear a sales pitch and they all said that to you? If so they are fooling themselves much more than they are fooling you.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
now this is a great post, and you make good salient points.

And, for the sake of the kids, i hope you are right. For me, i would love to see the whole of the wtf and everything they do burn to the ground, it is my personal opinion that they have taken a deadly martial art and turned it into a spectator sport.

but thats just opinion, i dont like mma either, for much the same reasons.

I would preferre if the korean kickboxing must exist that it be seperated from real TKD, cuz it really is its own animal.

So, the leadership is the issue? doesnt the leadership set the direction of the org? so if the leadership is bad, doesnt that make the org bad? at least as long as that leadership is in place? i dont know. I am just asking.

My only point was that popularity doesnt equal quality. You would agree with that wouldnt you?

Yes you can bash, does not make it true. Keep in mind that while Olympics was a goal of the TKD the "Olympic dream" didn't not take shape until 1988, when it was introduced as a spectator sport in the Olympics. By then the art was already practiced world wide and I would gander made itself known as one of the world's most popular martial art if not THE most popular art. So within 15+ years, it thrived and survived without Olympics. If it gets its status taken away as an Olympic sport, it will continue to thrive and survive. Mst. Cole has already pointed out the multitude of competitions that will go on, and he really didn't even put in KKW sanctioned events such as the World Hanmadang or even the US Open National Hanmadang, which has no connection to the Olympic movement whatsoever.

The organization is not the problem. It is the leadership that is the problem. Do you leave America because you don't like the government? Of course not (well hopefully not). You work towards changes in a grass roots effort to change the leadership, hopefully, for the better.

You are just looking at one instance of a genre. While BSB may fade from popularity the Boy Bands have not and that type of genre is still alive and well throughout the world. If you don't agree just take a look at Korea where the top music are done by Boy Bands like Infinite, Super Jr and ShinEE just to name a few. BTW...BSB still tend to have high ticket sales for their concerts and maintain a popularity even today. The whole Twilight movie may have sucked but the Vampire movie genre it help popularize is thriving quite well. Not everyone is going to be a TKD star, but that still does not mean that TKD will cease to exist or cease to remain one of the world's most practiced martial art.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...what is it that we're always saying....oh yeah...attack the message, not the messenger. Let table the personal shots please. If someone disagrees with something someone said, instead of saying the person is an ***, how about coming back with proof that the person is wrong.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Going to the World Championships sounds like impossibility too but I have been lucky to do that 4 times. Believe me if I can do it, when there are so many talented US athletes out there, anyone can. It is so easy to look at all of the negative aspects of taekwondo, usually pointed out by those who are not involved outside of their garage, that the real reason we train is forgotten; to become better. Because I have gotten on a Team does not make me anything but because I STILL try to improve my skill to the best of my ability does. I have realized though this process how little I really know and how much further I must climb. Without my seniors and teammates I am nothing as they have inspired me to achieve not discouraged me from the seemingly impossible.

Words are easy weapons volleyed across endless voids but actions require actual training and must be brandished personally. Sport requires one to be physically, mentally and spiritually superior to their opponent and face the consequences of one’s training methodology. Talking requires nothing.

Train.
Now.

Excellent. But to some men, the World Taekwondo Federation is a very public and thus very scary place to venture so they choose the garage, or some unrelated group.

"Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records." ~ William A. Ward

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
or they see no value in it. or they dont like it, or they dont look good in v-necks and hogu

not everything is for everyone.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Apparently twin fist has nothng better to do than bash wtf/kkw tkd. He can try to rationalize all he wants but most don't care about the slander. We will move forward with or without the olympics. We did before.
How about we no longer reply to his wtf/kkw bashing posts except to say "well, that is your opinion and you have every right to it".
I personally have never used the olympics as a selling point. I have pointed out that we are the DOMINATE tkd on the planet.

As you and I both know, it takes balls to step up to the plate. That is why some choose to stay home and never even enter the field.

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take." ~ Wayne Gretzky

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...what is it that we're always saying....oh yeah...attack the message, not the messenger. .

but its always the same cynical message from the same cynical messenger...

... the person is an ***, how about coming back with proof that the person is wrong.

i would have a better chance converting a muslim to christianity...

but point taken.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
now this is a great post, and you make good salient points.

And, for the sake of the kids, i hope you are right. For me, i would love to see the whole of the wtf and everything they do burn to the ground, it is my personal opinion that they have taken a deadly martial art and turned it into a spectator sport.
While I do not believe everything should be geared towards just the sport aspect, I do believe the sport aspect is something that is needed within the art. It allows people to take their teaching to a different level or practice and application. I love sport martial arts. I also love traditional martial arts, one does not dominate the other in my life, but that is just me. I did not originally get into TKD or martial arts for that matter, because of an Olympic dream or shiny trophies, nor do I stay in it for that reason. I just enjoy competing, not so much for the awards as it is the to meet a whole bunch of people I may have never met before. Again...this is just me.

but thats just opinion, i dont like mma either, for much the same reasons.
I do love watching some good MMA matches and have a great deal of respect for the training those guys go though. What I do not like is the image that shows like TUF portray to the public, because there are so many MMA people who not like that at all. However, it is TV and they have to make the drama happen to make the money.

I would preferre if the korean kickboxing must exist that it be seperated from real TKD, cuz it really is its own animal.
This is where we differ in opinion. I feel that it is just one small part of real TKD, and not its own art which, unfortunately, some TKD people will tend to make it out to be.

So, the leadership is the issue? doesnt the leadership set the direction of the org? so if the leadership is bad, doesnt that make the org bad? at least as long as that leadership is in place? i dont know. I am just asking.
Yes and no. If you look at the leadership as the sole identity of the org then yes bad leadership = bad org. However, I look at the org not only in its leadership but the people who belong to it. People like Mst. Uesegi, Mst. Cole, Mst. Smith, and others on this board are very good people who want the best for the organization and try their best to lead their students and colleagues in the best direction even if it means defying the leadership. A strong organization lies not only in its leaders but in the foundation of its members.

My only point was that popularity doesnt equal quality. You would agree with that wouldnt you?
Yes, I can agree to that. I still have nightmares about the macorena. :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back to the topic when do you think that the USOC will pick a plan and what will that look like.

Puunui are you a lawyer?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back to the topic when do you think that the USOC will pick a plan and what will that look like.

Your guess is as good as mine or anyone elses. I think it is good that the USOC Hearing Panel is taking time to do it right. The USOC Hearing Panel stated that the last time in 2004, things were cut that shouldnt have been cut because people were rushing, and they do not want to make the same mistake.

are you a lawyer?

You are thinking of bagehot.

I will say that when the new administration rolls in, there will be a need for attorneys in the organization. The voluntary services of attorneys would be helpful in revising bylaws, setting up state associations, serving on a membership and credentials committee, a judical committee (to resolve election disputes), and so forth. Advice of counsel is always a good thing before embarking on anything major.

Latest Discussions