USOC Slaps Down USAT- Link to Ruling

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just got back from OTC. We need to put aside old rivaries. The current CEO is not the answer to much baggage with HP. He starts to stammer when ever someone brings up getting Herb out of the org. The old USTU is not the answer. TKD leadership needs to put aside selfish motives and put together an NGB that operates for the sport and the athletes. The current group had it's chance get out. You have done enough damage. Maybe the USTU was a good org at one time but in the end it became corrupt and killed itself. I have heard some good ideas about how the organization can run but I am afraid that selfish interests will not allow the to happen.

Let's assume that you are correct. What is your suggestion or solution to solve the problem?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let's assume that you are correct. What is your suggestion or solution to solve the problem?

I have expressed my solutions to people that I trust. It would be a volunteer org that gave back 90 percent of what it makes to the athletes, coaches and referees. All the current orgs could play a significant role. Beyond that I am not willing to share. I don't think that the current leadership in any of our orgs would be able to put aside old rivalries and self interest to make it work. If done right you could raise up to 3 mil per year if leadership was willing to cooperate. It would require stringent auditing and strong accountability.

The best org would be able to draw the best/most athletes.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have expressed my solutions to people that I trust.

Who are they? I ask because if it is someone I know, then I can go ask them myself, if we haven't already spoken about it.

It would be a volunteer org that gave back 90 percent of what it makes to the athletes, coaches and referees.

What do you mean "90 percent of what it makes"? Gross revenue? Net revenue after expenses? If it is gross revenue, then I think that is unrealistic. If it is net revenue, then I think that number might already be met, even by USAT.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Net rev with very little exp. This organization has an operating exp ratio that is off the chart. It may hit 90 percent now only because the net number is so bad. As far as my putting the names of who I spoke with on the net. I am not willing to do that.

Remember I am talking about a volunteer org with very small paid staff.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Net rev with very little exp. This organization has an operating exp ratio that is off the chart. It may hit 90 percent now only because the net number is so bad. As far as my putting the names of who I spoke with on the net. I am not willing to do that. Remember I am talking about a volunteer org with very small paid staff.

Certainly at the current size of USAT, staff size can be reduced. For example, do we really need a full time person to write press releases? I would be willing to do that for free. Or we could assign that to the public relations or publication committee, composed of volunteers, like we had under USTU.

But there are other expenses besides staff size. The biggest expenses seem to be related to tournaments. It costs money to run a tournament. I think the main reason why USAT has been showing negative returns on events is because no one is attending the regionals. I think it costs about $100K to run a national level event, flying people in, putting them up, paying for referee stipends, etc. If we eliminated regionals, that would be a $200k savings right there. We shouldn't be in the qualifier business, we should be in the national and international events business. We should focus our attention on those events and make those solid, which will do much to improve goodwill among the membership.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed other areas we could cut also but I have spoken to much already. We are close to the same page. We need to get our athletes fighting internationally and it can be done with a transparent decentralized organization. We need to find ways to funnel money to athletes, refs and coaches. We need to stop funding a top heavy NGB

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We need to get our athletes fighting internationally and it can be done with a transparent decentralized organization. We need to find ways to funnel money to athletes, refs and coaches.

There is a plan for that.... :)

For example, we are probably the only WTF Member National Association that requires its IRs to self fund trips to WTF International Events for which they are appointed to officiate. We need to fix that. If someone from USA is appointed to referee at World Championships or the Olympics, they shouldn't have to pay for the airfare out of their own pocket. Things like that.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you accept any responsibility for the current situation at USAT? If so, in what way? If not, why not?

And just what have you done for the current situation? What contributions have you made? What have you done or not done? why and why not?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Gorilla
I just got back from OTC. We need to put aside old rivaries. The current CEO is not the answer to much baggage with HP. He starts to stammer when ever someone brings up getting Herb out of the org. The old USTU is not the answer. TKD leadership needs to put aside selfish motives and put together an NGB that operates for the sport and the athletes. The current group had it's chance get out. You have done enough damage. Maybe the USTU was a good org at one time but in the end it became corrupt and killed itself. I have heard some good ideas about how the organization can run but I am afraid that selfish interests will not allow the to happen.
By RSweet
That about sums it up.

I agree and I would say the previous comment that there are mass numbers just waiting in the grass to return to a reincarnation of the USTU may not be as large as hoped for because of the USTU's past abuses of money and people. I have had private converstations with senior masters who still have a bitter taste in thier mouth and advise caution or even abstain from participating in any future NGB because they feel politics and cronism will just take advantage of personal time and money. However the comment that we should all just go along with what ever the USOC wants because they are going to make everything ok makes one ponder. Seems all of this is so far removed from what should be the priority ( the athletes) Is no one shocked or concerned about the World Juniors being held in Egypt?? Adults want to put themselves at risk fine but sending minors given the current stability of the Middle East are none of you concerned?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If that happened, would you come back?

I have always been a member because I have certain athletes that competes at the US Open. But I would be more so bringing everybody and supporting JO and National along with state.

What do you mean paperwork that got lost? What paperwork?

OH come on certain people ref credintials, because the new relm did not like them. Saying they where never member or school was never a member. Hell they even tried to tell me I was not certified but yet had all my paperwork from the old USTU. I remember going to Atlanta for Jo and working the holding area and have all my mebership cards but yet it took four years for them to find everything only by me pushing the buttons. Puunui remember some of us have been around for sometime and have been **** on badly by the USAT that we just will not ever forgive them for there ways of weeding peopleout. Hell I remember when David sat in colorado and said why are we having Open tryouts for JR team when they sat it up that way. he and the majority of them was totally wrong and right now I have little faith that the USAT is going to change. I hope I am wrong but it looks like a smoke and mirror trick to me.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
And just what have you done for the current situation? What contributions have you made? What have you done or not done? why and why not?

Recriminatory statements don't really answer the question. But that's ok. As for what i have done and what I am doing, I have been patiently waiting and preparing. We all have.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree and I would say the previous comment that there are mass numbers just waiting in the grass to return to a reincarnation of the USTU may not be as large as hoped for because of the USTU's past abuses of money and people. I have had private converstations with senior masters who still have a bitter taste in thier mouth and advise caution or even abstain from participating in any future NGB because they feel politics and cronism will just take advantage of personal time and money.

If they feel that way, then in my opinion, it is probably better if they did not participate. We do not want people who bring with them a bitter taste in their mouth. But there are a lot of other people who are waiting for change and want to join in. Perhaps not you or chuck, but there are others in alaska, for example.

However the comment that we should all just go along with what ever the USOC wants because they are going to make everything ok makes one ponder. Seems all of this is so far removed from what should be the priority ( the athletes)

No it is not far removed from athletes as a priority.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
OH come on certain people ref credintials, because the new relm did not like them.Saying they where never member or school was never a member.

I don't know what you are talking about.

Hell they even tried to tell me I was not certified but yet had all my paperwork from the old USTU. I remember going to Atlanta for Jo and working the holding area and have all my mebership cards but yet it took four years for them to find everything only by me pushing the buttons.

If you have all your paperwork, then why would it be a problem. Can't speak for the present ref chair, but for the prior ones, you could have approached them politely and the most probably would have worked it out for you.

Puunui remember some of us have been around for sometime and have been **** on badly by the USAT that we just will not ever forgive them for there ways of weeding peopleout.

hang around for a little longer and hopefully you will see that they won't be there for much longer.

Hell I remember when David sat in colorado and said why are we having Open tryouts for JR team when they sat it up that way. he and the majority of them was totally wrong and right now I have little faith that the USAT is going to change. I hope I am wrong but it looks like a smoke and mirror trick to me.

I am sorry that you feel that way. I don't feel the same way that you do, and I do not believe the USOC feels that way either.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Puunui you ask for me to hang in a little longer and I will of course, you say the USOC is going to do something god only knowa how I want to be proven wrong and they do. I just need to see progress moving forward and thought it was with true and the section 10 hearing but still the USAT makes things hard for the members. I am so waiting for the day when I can say see everyone I was wrong the USOC finally did something right and made it better for the athletes and coaches and refs.. They are the ones that they need to have an org.. Like I said puunui I really hope you are right.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hang in there. It's coming soon, perhaps real soon. One of the problems is that you are hearing or listening to those voices that only know how to create chaos and disorder. Right now, we need to be calm and let the process run its course. In other words, join us and wait silently in the tall grass. :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who will be with us in the tall grass? You seem to put allot of trust in the USOC. Why?

I am not trying to be antagonistic. This is a legit question for puuni. Thanks

Last edited:

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blackmun was a popular appointment among the CEO's of many of the NGB's but what has really changed at the USOC. HP seems to still have a lot Of pull with the appointment of EP. It would appear that they are going to let the current bunch run the remediation plan of the USAT. I hope your confidence is well founded but at this point I don't see it. The current CEO is completely tied into HP nothing will ever work at the USAT as long as HP is pulling the strings and it appears to be with the backing of the USOC. I am skeptical but I am of open mind please help me to understand how things are going to get better if the current people are left in place.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blackmun was a popular appointment among the CEO's of many of the NGB's but what has really changed at the USOC. HP seems to still have a lot Of pull with the appointment of EP. It would appear that they are going to let the current bunch run the remediation plan of the USAT. I hope your confidence is well founded but at this point I don't see it. The current CEO is completely tied into HP nothing will ever work at the USAT as long as HP is pulling the strings and it appears to be with the backing of the USOC. I am skeptical but I am of open mind please help me to understand how things are going to get better if the current people are left in place.

The USOC understands everything. Already people are positioning themselves for a new administration, thinking that we have short memories. But our true friends are the ones who stand by you during the darkest hour, not when the the sun is about to rise or has risen.

Latest Discussions