Use belly kick to counter all punches

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your opponent punches at you, his belly will be exposed. It's a such a big target that your front kick will be hard to miss.

Since the leg is longer than the arm, do you think that belly kick can be the best counter for all punches?

Your thought?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I feel this is an area where forms motion deviates from fighting technique. The punching target has some to do with it. If you are punching their middle the punching arm itself provides some cover for the midsection. There are a plethora of angles that keeps the midsection covered. A reverse punch is always going to increase the possibility of an opening. If a person is leaning way over their center (reaching) that will open up the middle.
I could never make it a blanket statement that a front kick is Always going to be the best counter for a punch. Most people cannot throw a decent kick from a punching range.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the person is close enough to punch you...you are going to be jammed up kicking his belly. A knee to the belly would most likely be a better choice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when terms like "all" and "always" and other such absolutes are used, the answer is going to be no. There are simply too many variables.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the person is close enough to punch you...you are going to be jammed up kicking his belly. A knee to the belly would most likely be a better choice.

That assumes a static distance. Also makes assumptions about the flexibility of the kicker. A good kicker can put their foot upside your head from punching distance. A knee is ALSO a good option, but it may or may not be a better one, depending.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
When your opponent punches at you, his belly will be exposed. It's a such a big target that your front kick will be hard to miss.

Since the leg is longer than the arm, do you think that belly kick can be the best counter for all punches?

Your thought?
If you can read a punch then bring your foot to my midsection faster than I can throw a punch than either I am way to slow or you have superhuman reflexes and speed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can read a punch then bring your foot to my midsection faster than I can throw a punch than either I am way to slow or you have superhuman reflexes and speed.
this is about fighting highly efficient fighter again, and is a rerun of the obligee kick debate, yes it has problems if your using it as you describe against you or someone like you.

but you don't have to read any particular punch, you can bet your last pound that someone with il intent that gets within punching range is going to throw a punch, you only have to react to them coming in range of your kick, which is likely before they get in range of their punch, if your wrong and there intent is to head butt you or grab you by the throat etal, then it matters not you have already kicked them in the belly or the side or the kidneys

its heavily range dependent, to close and you likely to loose balance, to far out and they have time to avoid

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That assumes a static distance. Also makes assumptions about the flexibility of the kicker. A good kicker can put their foot upside your head from punching distance. A knee is ALSO a good option, but it may or may not be a better one, depending.
DD I can still front kick some in the face from punching range. Doesn't mean that is the better option vs 'all' punches.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is about fighting highly efficient fighter again, and is a rerun of the obligee kick debate, yes it has problems if your using it as you describe against you or someone like you.

but you don't have to read any particular punch, you can bet your last pound that someone with il intent that gets within punching range is going to throw a punch, you only have to react to them coming in range of your kick, which is likely before they get in range of their punch, if your wrong and there intent is to head butt you or grab you by the throat etal, then it matters not you have already kicked them in the belly or the side or the kidneys

its heavily range dependent, to close and you likely to loose balance, to far out and they have time to avoid
But now you are talking about booting an aproaching dude in the gut before he does anything, which is different than countering something.

Sure, if agro guy is approaching you can gut punt him. Effective but also assault.

In sport, it's a poor opener.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But now you are talking about booting an aproaching dude in the gut before he does anything, which is different than countering something.

Sure, if agro guy is approaching you can gut punt him. Effective but also assault.

In sport, it's a poor opener.
i don't watch much mma, but when i do i not infrequently see such kicks at an approaching opoinent, they don't often land, but work as a physiological marker to keep your opponent out of punching range.

you are definitely countering something, it may be that neither you or he knows what that something may be yet, but that doesn't stop it being a counter measure. its countering the ''attack''

its not assault, at least not in the UK, where your quite at liberty to use reasonable force once you've formed the belief that someone means you physical harm, some one advancing at you, fists clenched mutter deep threats of what they intend to do to you, is more than sufficient to pass the legal hurdle. a bit more problematic if they are just rushing to catch a bus and you take them out with a kick to the guts

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you punch your opponent, you have to step in (need footwork). When your opponent kicks your belly, all he needs is to raise his leg and kick out (no need footwork). If you and your opponent have the same speed, since your opponent doesn't have to move forward, he will be faster than you.

You have to enter your opponent's kicking range before you can apply your effective punching range. That mean you have to "step forward". Your forward stepping can trigger off his kick. If your opponent cannot "guard his kicking range", that will be his problem.

Even if you may have entered your opponent's kicking range, your opponent can still lean his body back when he kicks out. Also his arms can still be on guard to deal with your punch.

old-man-front-kick.jpg

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to enter your opponent's kicking range before you can apply your effective punching range. If your opponent cannot "guard his kicking range", that will be his problem.

To detect that, your opponent can judge by:

- distance, and
- leading leg weight distribution.

Even if you may have entered your opponent's kicking range, your opponent can still lean his body back when he kicks out.

old-man-front-kick.jpg

to be honest that doesnt look the best idea

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A jab. A slip/counterhook.A cover into a calf kick. Etc
There are all good counters. Let's look at the PRO and CON here.

A jab, a slip/counterhook - you have given up your kicking range and accept the punching range. Your defense space is smaller (less safe).

A calf kick - If you use roundhouse kick, your "back leg" roundhouse kick (need to travel more distance) can be slower than your front kick. If you use front kick, your opponent's leg target is much smaller than his belly area. Also if you use side kick (or reverse side kick) for your calf kick, your kicking distance will be shorter than your toes push kick kicking distance.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can develop a subconscious instance that the moment you detect your opponent tries to step in or shift weigh on his leading leg, your front leg can kick out at his belly "without thinking", IMO, you have developed a strong 1st line defense - the kicking range defense.

After your belly kick, if you follow with a punch to the face, you have just fullfile the most basic MA strategy - low kick, high punch.

Will it be nice that you can just develop 1 MA skill that can handle all punches?

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DD I can still front kick some in the face from punching range. Doesn't mean that is the better option vs 'all' punches.
A super close front kick and crescent kick were two of my go to moves back in my competition days. They are very effective on the street if a person is good at them. I think a person should have "go to" moves for at least the common attacks. Takes tons of repetition.
A lot of it , counter selection that is, has to do with position relative to the attacker.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are all good counters. Let's look at the PRO and CON here.

A jab, a slip/counterhook - you have given up your kicking range and accept the punching range. Your defense space is smaller (less safe).

A calf kick - If you use roundhouse kick, your "back leg" roundhouse kick (need to travel more distance) can be slower than your front kick. If you use front kick, your opponent's leg target is much smaller than his belly area. Also if you use side kick (or reverse side kick) for your calf kick, your kicking distance will be shorter than your toes push kick kicking distance.
I would call a straight on front kick to the leg a low percentage kick. The exception would be kicking at a straightened leg to their knee.

Latest Discussions