What will be your strategy if you have to fight this one arm boxer?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would never expect this could real happen, but it did happen. Is there a such thing that 2 arms cannot handle against 1 arm?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In all honesty and I'm not bragging on myself because I think he would be the same with others who know how to fight. I don't think he would have tried to use one arm to fight me, and if he did, I would be sure to make him soon regret that decision. This isn't tough talk it's reality. You can tell by the way a person feels comfortable in their stance, that they are a danger and that playing around trying to humiliate them with one arm is going to be a mistake.

These guys intentionally go against people who they know they can beat up. It's always going to be mismatch when they are fighting people that they clearly know they are better than. The entire purpose of what they do is to fight against people who they know can't fight. Their logic is, "This guy does kung fu and can't fight and I'm going to prove it by fighting a guy who I know can't fight."

Get a couple of guys who have actually been in a fight, train to fight, or come from tough streets and that one hand behind the back nonsense will go out the window.

Don't get me wrong. A person with one arm can still be dangerous and still be a good fighter, but that's not what we are looking at here. There are some one arm fighters out there that would make him use both his arms.

So on that note.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don’t know. Maybe make a motion to high five with him....then throw a body shot.

I know, that was cold.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty and I'm not bragging on myself because I think he would be the same with others who know how to fight. I don't think he would have tried to use one arm to fight me, and if he did, I would be sure to make him soon regret that decision. This isn't tough talk it's reality. You can tell by the way a person feels comfortable in their stance, that they are a danger and that playing around trying to humiliate them with one arm is going to be a mistake.

These guys intentionally go against people who they know they can beat up. It's always going to be mismatch when they are fighting people that they clearly know they are better than. The entire purpose of what they do is to fight against people who they know can't fight. Their logic is, "This guy does kung fu and can't fight and I'm going to prove it by fighting a guy who I know can't fight."

Get a couple of guys who have actually been in a fight, train to fight, or come from tough streets and that one hand behind the back nonsense will go out the window.

Don't get me wrong. A person with one arm can still be dangerous and still be a good fighter, but that's not what we are looking at here. There are some one arm fighters out there that would make him use both his arms.

So on that note.
I'm pretty sure that guy actually doesn't have full functionality of that arm

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nick Newell was a one armed fighter who fought in Bellator and the UFC compiling a professional record of 16 - 3
Had difficulty getting fights because few were willing to fight him.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would never expect this could real happen, but it did happen. Is there a such thing that 2 arms cannot handle against 1 arm?

Has he says in the first video, it is a (simplified) matter of distance management. I would run away (just enough) of that punching fist and jam into it as soon as possible. Then it would be easy with 2 fists, 2 elbows and 2 knees against one arm. Target mainly is right side of the head to finish.

Possible issues: his footwork, cardio and speed or timing being better than mine. And I could still be KO quicker than the wing chun-er because saying is easier than doing... :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

It isn't that he is using one arm, it's that he is using distance, movement, and timing. His opponents are not.

So it looks like he is down a weapon, when really he is up by two.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

So on that note.
To be fair, all those other guys were also pretty confident their TMA worked in real life.

Until they weren't.

Edit - that video isn't real. It's a sketch.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be fair, all those other guys were also pretty confident their TMA worked in real life.
The uneasy look that they have as if they have never sparred before and how bad their foot work is tells a different story. Most likely their mouth wrote a check that their skills couldn't cash. Even if they have never don't any sparring, I'm always shocked at just how bad their footwork is. They always look uncoordinated as the stumble around.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The uneasy look that they have as if they have never sparred before and how bad their foot work is tells a different story. Most likely their mouth wrote a check that their skills couldn't cash. Even if they have never don't any sparring, I'm always shocked at just how bad their footwork is. They always look uncoordinated as the stumble around.
Man, I would pay real money to see you put that gigantic Conor McGregor ego of yours to some sort of actual test. I feel 5 minutes in a ring against someone with real fight training would do it. I feel like you would fall as quickly as the rest of the TMA arm flailers.

Prove me wrong.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, I would pay real money to see you put that gigantic Conor McGregor ego of yours to some sort of actual test. I feel 5 minutes in a ring against someone with real fight training would do it. I feel like you would fall as quickly as the rest of the TMA arm flailers.

Prove me wrong.
I have Ego just because I said some has bad footwork and that the stumble? Any one can see that.

So what do I get if I go against a "real fighter" and I beat him? It probably wouldn't change your opinion of me. you still say I have an ego and no matter who I decide to go against, you won't be satisfied unless I lose. So if I go against an amateur fighter and still pull off Kung Fu techniques with my footwork looking goofy, Then what's the point? How do I benefit from it?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that guy actually doesn't have full functionality of that arm

There are some legit one arm fighters out there. Not many but the ones who train to fight are able look very solid. I used to spar with one hand and it's tough. Footwork becomes becomes critical, especially with combo punches. I'm more agressive when sparring with one arm because Im ad a disadvantag for dealing with combos Ironically Jow Ga has a one arm form, but I don't know it.

The video that I posted is a comedy skit. I don't know if he actually boxes or not.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are some legit one arm fighters out there. Not many but the ones who train to fight are able look very solid. I used to spar with one hand and it's tough. Footwork becomes becomes critical, especially with combo punches. I'm more agressive when sparring with one arm because Im ad a disadvantag for dealing with combos Ironically Jow Ga has a one arm form, but I don't know it.

The video that I posted is a comedy skit. I don't know if he actually boxes or not.
I'm talking about the guy in the video from the OP. I think he has a problem with his arm

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have Ego just because I said some has bad footwork and that the stumble? Any one can see that.

So what do I get if I go against a "real fighter" and I beat him? It probably wouldn't change your opinion of me. you still say I have an ego and no matter who I decide to go against, you won't be satisfied unless I lose. So if I go against an amateur fighter and still pull off Kung Fu techniques with my footwork looking goofy, Then what's the point? How do I benefit from it?
That's not true at all. I'd give you all due props.

Maybe you are just really unself aware but your posts lately project a ton of bravado. It's not that I have anything personal against you, in fact, I really respect that you value sparring and fitness(which sets you apart from the vast majority of TMA ers)

This is just how I respond to tough talk posts. Cool if you can back them up. If not it's just warm wind.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm talking about the guy in the video from the OP. I think he has a problem with his arm

Thanks for that info. I went and looked up some information about him. You are right he does have some problem with his arm so I owe him a big apology for thinking that he was choosing to fighting with one arm. He still has use of the arm but it's no good for punching or defending against an impact from a punch or kick. He can still use his arm, it's still functional but not functional for fighting.

So I got that wrong big time by originally thinking he decided to use just fight with one arm.

He broke his arm as a teen and from the interview it sounds like the doctors screwed up on repairing his the break in his arm.

So yep. I owe Xiong Cheng Cheng an apology he's one of the legit one arm fighters out there. Even though he has use of both arms,

Again thanks for the info. Didn't know and now I do. So while I can't change the original comment about using one arm. I can show show him boxing with one arm.

I learned something new.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe you are just really unself aware but your posts lately project a ton of bravado.
I guess I'm unaware.. What I give off is probably due to how I train. Like when I train I don't care about winning or losing. I only care about figuring it a technique that was taught that works. I'm willing to get and make mistakes if it gets me closer to understanding the technique. So as a result, a lot of the things that may seem amazing or unbelievable to others isn't that amazing to me because I see how the technique exploits some of the limitations and behaviors that all humans have.

So for example, the reason I can get away with the big punches that I do isn't because I'm some hot shot. It's just that I understand how it works and how it exploits human behavior. My ability to see this isn't something unique to me. I think everyone can see it but only if they spar to learn. That means when a punch comes in, at my face, I'm not only trying to defend against it, but I'm taking notes,

This is where my mind goes when someone punches at me.
  1. try to see see as much of the punch as possible including the body that is attached to the punch, Don't just see the punch
  2. try to understand what happens with the as my opponent throws it, is it curved, is it straight, is there any opportunity for me to "chase the punch" as the punch is chambered,
  3. what stance is my opponent in when he throws the punch
  4. is his front leg heavy or is light
  5. does my opponent throw a single punch more than he throws combos
  6. Which fists starts the single punch, Right or left.
  7. Which fist starts the combo Right or left,
  8. Does my opponent chicken wing
  9. Does my opponent punch then flee or does he punch and charge in.
  10. Does my opponent fully commit when he punches, if so does he commit on the first strike or the second one.
  11. Does my opponent misdirect with his punches, does he feint often. if so which hand feints.
  12. When my opponent hits me, where am I getting hit the most, the face, the body, the side of my head.
  13. Does my opponent have heavy hands, does my opponent have light hands,
  14. When my opponent wants to hit hard what does his body look like, does he tense up before the hard shots or does he relax.
  15. How many combos does my opponent throw,
  16. Does my opponent look down or look up when he comes in.
  17. Are their tell tale movements to my opponents punch.
  18. How does my opponent react to my punches, Does he close his eyes or keeps them open.
  19. Does my opponent watch my punches or does he watch my chest..
  20. Does my opponent breathing change when he's getting ready to punch
  21. Does my opponent have a rhythm when he punches and if so can I detect that rhythm when I get hit so I don't have to count on my eyes to identify it.
  22. What's the limitation of a punch.
  23. Does his punch leave an open spot, if so is it naturally open because of the motion of the human body or are they open because he has a bad habit.
  24. Would the punch be dangerous at full power, and if so can I avoid it or absorb it.
  25. If my opponent's punches are faster than mine, where and when do I strike,
  26. Is there a limit to human motion that I can take advantage of when my opponent punches
I can probably name about 40 things off the top of my head of what goes through my mind when sparring. Most of what is listed deals with my opponent, There still stuff that goes through my mind when I'm doing techniques. This is the information I'm gathering and processing as I spar. If you were to take a look at any of my videos you will see what looks like me studying my opponent as I get hit.

So when I say things like I do, this is where it comes from. For me it's not bravado. Where most people spar and see Win and Lose. Is stuff like this. If you were to talk to me in person you would hear me say the same things, If you were to train with me, you will hear me say the same things.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
When someone 'punches at you' you should have about a quarter of a second, maybe a half second, to react ..if they are good at punching.

You just aren't going to have time to reflect on a 26 item laundry list.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about. You tend to talk like you have superpowers sometimes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I'm unaware.. What I give off is probably due to how I train. Like when I train I don't care about winning or losing. I only care about figuring it a technique that was taught that works. I'm willing to get and make mistakes if it gets me closer to understanding the technique. So as a result, a lot of the things that may seem amazing or unbelievable to others isn't that amazing to me because I see how the technique exploits some of the limitations and behaviors that all humans have.

So for example, the reason I can get away with the big punches that I do isn't because I'm some hot shot. It's just that I understand how it works and how it exploits human behavior. My ability to see this isn't something unique to me. I think everyone can see it but only if they spar to learn. That means when a punch comes in, at my face, I'm not only trying to defend against it, but I'm taking notes,

This is where my mind goes when someone punches at me.
  1. try to see see as much of the punch as possible including the body that is attached to the punch, Don't just see the punch
  2. try to understand what happens with the as my opponent throws it, is it curved, is it straight, is there any opportunity for me to "chase the punch" as the punch is chambered,
  3. what stance is my opponent in when he throws the punch
  4. is his front leg heavy or is light
  5. does my opponent throw a single punch more than he throws combos
  6. Which fists starts the single punch, Right or left.
  7. Which fist starts the combo Right or left,
  8. Does my opponent chicken wing
  9. Does my opponent punch then flee or does he punch and charge in.
  10. Does my opponent fully commit when he punches, if so does he commit on the first strike or the second one.
  11. Does my opponent misdirect with his punches, does he feint often. if so which hand feints.
  12. When my opponent hits me, where am I getting hit the most, the face, the body, the side of my head.
  13. Does my opponent have heavy hands, does my opponent have light hands,
  14. When my opponent wants to hit hard what does his body look like, does he tense up before the hard shots or does he relax.
  15. How many combos does my opponent throw,
  16. Does my opponent look down or look up when he comes in.
  17. Are their tell tale movements to my opponents punch.
  18. How does my opponent react to my punches, Does he close his eyes or keeps them open.
  19. Does my opponent watch my punches or does he watch my chest..
  20. Does my opponent breathing change when he's getting ready to punch
  21. Does my opponent have a rhythm when he punches and if so can I detect that rhythm when I get hit so I don't have to count on my eyes to identify it.
  22. What's the limitation of a punch.
  23. Does his punch leave an open spot, if so is it naturally open because of the motion of the human body or are they open because he has a bad habit.
  24. Would the punch be dangerous at full power, and if so can I avoid it or absorb it.
  25. If my opponent's punches are faster than mine, where and when do I strike,
  26. Is there a limit to human motion that I can take advantage of when my opponent punches
I can probably name about 40 things off the top of my head of what goes through my mind when sparring. Most of what is listed deals with my opponent, There still stuff that goes through my mind when I'm doing techniques. This is the information I'm gathering and processing as I spar. If you were to take a look at any of my videos you will see what looks like me studying my opponent as I get hit.

So when I say things like I do, this is where it comes from. For me it's not bravado. Where most people spar and see Win and Lose. Is stuff like this. If you were to talk to me in person you would hear me say the same things, If you were to train with me, you will hear me say the same things.
fights seem to happen very quickly and your working almost entirely on instinct, and speed of reactions. if your bopping about sparing, then yes you have time to weigh them up and study their movements to look for weakness or tells. that tends not to be the case in the real world, were it gets very real very quickly. or even in serious competition, if their first right hand knocks you over, that's the end of it and your 26 point check list is rather irrelevant

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You just aren't going to have time to reflect on a 26 item laundry list.This is the sort of thing I was talking about. You tend to talk like you have superpowers sometimes.

Odd, considering the context, I didn't get that from Jow Ga at all. I thought he meant that these are some of the considerations regarding how you respond to punching. Maybe you have brief moments when you can consciously size up an opponent when sparring, but you certainly don't have time to think about all that when when the punches are flying.

...And I don't think Jow Ga was trying to say that, either. In a brief written post, it's hard to get everything across, so maybe we should give the guy some slack?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When someone 'punches at you' you should have about a quarter of a second, maybe a half second, to react ..if they are good at punching.

You just aren't going to have time to reflect on a 26 item laundry list.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about. You tend to talk like you have superpowers sometimes.
Your mind processes information much faster than you think. There is no superpowers to it. What I'm picking up is that you think the normal stuff is somehow super power stuff. When you watch my sparring videos you will see me take multiple hits before I react. Again sparring to learn vs sparring to win.

Latest Discussions