Capital Conquest 2019

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here in Ottawa, we have an annual martial arts convention called Capital Conquest. I just got back from it. I was unable to attend the Friday night events which included a series of kickboxing matches which culminated in exhibition fights between Bill "Superfoot"Wallace and Wally Slocki,and Jean-Yves Theriault vs Ben Ladouceur, a current kickboxing champion. Saturday's seminars started with a stretching seminar by Bill Wallace followed by opportunities to train in karate, judo, BJJ, Krav Maga, jiu jitsu, Chi Gung, a variety of weapon arts and more. I did some knife work from FMA, several styles of jiu jitsu and some judo.
Saturday night was demonstrations of a variety of schools showing off, and some pretty crazy breaking with busting baseball bats with shins, etc.

Sunday was more training. Took a seminar with former Air Marshall trainer Charlie Moore, and another with Andy Elliott from Australia. I finished off my day by training with Roberto de Juan from Spain. Great weekend to re-connect with old friends, meet some new ones, and have an opportunity to train with instructors from around the world.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That sounds like an absolute blast. Very good times. I wish we had something close to middle Tennessee with even half the names you listed.
I have read a couple of articles on Theriault. Great reads.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ll bet you had some fun, Frank! Wish I had been there.

Wally Slocki, haven’t heard that name in a while. I was a big fan of him. Great fighter, great kicker, nice scissors takedowns. I remember when he lost the light heavyweight title to Jeff Smith. It was one of the biggest robberies I had seen to that point.

Canadian fighters sure could kick.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Been waiting for videos to show up on YouTube about Capital Conquest. This is a trailer for a movie/documentary about Jean-Yves coming out next year. Lots of folks that @Buka should recognize

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that. So many class acts in that video.

Got me a little verklempt. Which I’m sure you knew it would.

Great vid. Man, I enjoyed that.