Use belly kick to counter all punches

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
catching somebody's kick.
The best time to move in is when your opponent kicks you.

1. You block and catch your opponent's kicking leg.
2. Borrow his counter force to pull you in (this is important).
3. You guide his leading arm to jam his back arm.
4. You then punch to his face.

The beauty is the 2 - Borrow his counter force to pull you in.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train teep kicks every day. Trust me punches are always faster. Teep kicks load the hips, they are certainly not the speediest option.

Yes, you can cover and teep at punching range to create distance, but I never said otherwise.

I was more referring to your claims about what people you know can do in fights or whatever. Anecdotes are a dime a dozen.
To you comments, yes anecdotes are dime a dozen.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say it was. As a matter of fact, I specifically said NO option is going to be the best option for ALL punches. So what's your point?

Oh...I didn't see "NO Option is to be the best option for ALL punches" in your rely to me. Let's check that again.

You wrote to me, "That assumes a static distance. Also makes assumptions about the flexibility of the kicker. A good kicker can put their foot upside your head from punching distance. A knee is ALSO a good option, but it may or may not be a better one, depending."

Hmm... I'm not see that. But that's me.
I agree no one thing is going to be better all the time. My point was in my opinion a knee is a better option overall vs a kick vs most punches being thrown. But then I work knees against punches...a lot. So I may be a bit biased in that regard. I also use kicks from time to time vs a punch but I really prefer knees.
Your mileage may vary.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you saying counter a spinning attack with a front kick? If so I agree, it is usually easy to knock them off balance or at least off target.
Yes, front kick in the mid section (probably, it will be late to hit the belly). Any moment during the rotation is just fine to knock the balance and to give time to follow up...

Latest Discussions