Ultimate Fighter 3

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I guess you could work in the challenges by letting it decide who gets the choice...

Isn't that what the challenges were for in the last two seasons? Whichever team won the challenge got to pick the fighters for the next match. I'm not completely sure why the challenges were dropped this time though.

I agree that everyone who gets into the semi-finals should have to fight to get there. I think they could have kept the challenges and made sure that everyone fought to reach the finals by having the winners of each match go to the next round like they are now. It was allowing the same person to fight multiple times that allowed some people to not fight at all.

The changes are making things a bit more interesting since it's different from last time. The interaction, or lack thereof, between Tito and Ken is amusing at times, too. :)

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Withouth the challenges, they would be forced to fill that air time with either more trainnig or more antics. I guess they chose antics.

I wish they would have went with training. It would have been a chance to pick up some new tips and tricks. The antics and the drama bore me to tears. And last nights fight was lame as hell. Can't believe I stayed up for THAT. For now on, until they weed them down to the final four, I'm setting the VCR to tape it and going to bed.
icon8.gif

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I strongly agree that more training would be really nice. As it is, there's barely a few glimpses of drills shown. I'd like to see a lot more Coaching.

But, I disagree about last night's fight. It was good to see the smarter guy studying the tactics of his opponent pre-fight and planning on working around them. It was also nice to see him execute his plan, even if it meant there wasn't much of a contest.

See the previews for next week? Ken doesn't show up for training?

OP
scottcatchot

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
TEEVO or DVR has changed how I watch TV. I was uniompressed with lastnights fight big time.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was unimpressed as well. So many of these guys think they know it all and just wont listen to anyone, even someone like Ortiz or Shamrock. I just dont understand that mentality....ego.

7sm

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I strongly agree that more training would be really nice. As it is, there's barely a few glimpses of drills shown. I'd like to see a lot more Coaching.
A lot of people tune in only for the "drama" training methods and coaching are not "very cool" to the uninformed. I would prefer it to be all training and coaching before the fights, more entertaining for me and more stuff for me to steal and take back to my gym!! :D

But that's not what sells xyience

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
True, without the challenges, they need to fill the air time with something else. Apparently, as already noted, they chose antics over training. The training would be more interesting to people who practice martial arts themselves, but I'm guessing it doesn't really make for exciting television in general. The antics and such probably help keep the general audience interested, and if that's what gets better ratings, that's what they'll show.

7starmantis has a point that some of the guys seem to be set on doing what they want regardless of the help others try to give them. The loser of last night's fight seemed to be one of them. I can understand his view of not changing his normal game plan, but I think the others were just trying to get him to train for what happens if that game plan fails. He didn't seem to go for it though. *shrug*

Shamrock and Ortiz seem to have rather different training styles. It looks like Ortiz really likes to drill his guys and constantly push them. Shamrock seems to prefer an overall health view, giving them breaks to avoid over-training, and having a nutritionist-type person as an assistant coach. (I noticed a bunch of the contestants questioned that move.) The preview for next week said that Shamrock doesn't show up for training. That's weird. I'm wondering if it was intentional or not, and if it was, why did he think this would be better than holding a regular training session?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last nights fight should have ended the first time the back was turned.

I also would much rather see some of the training and less of the nonsence these guy do

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dronak said:
Shamrock and Ortiz seem to have rather different training styles. It looks like Ortiz really likes to drill his guys and constantly push them. Shamrock seems to prefer an overall health view, giving them breaks to avoid over-training, and having a nutritionist-type person as an assistant coach. (I noticed a bunch of the contestants questioned that move.) The preview for next week said that Shamrock doesn't show up for training. That's weird. I'm wondering if it was intentional or not, and if it was, why did he think this would be better than holding a regular training session?

I'm wondering if it's another tantrum. Maybe Ken will come back and say something like, "You guys don't take my coaching seriously, you don't listen to my ringside strategy. You obviously don't want to win, so why should I put in the time to help you lose?"

I'm not one of the people who questions the nutritionalist. I certainly wouldn't be doing the drinking that these guys are doing while getting ready for a fight, and I'm a heavy drinker. I heard some folks complaining because the nutritionalist was a body builder, but that doesn't mean he only knows nutrition for body building. And, we didn't see enough of his talk to have any idea because it wouldn't have been interesting for general television.

As to the Brit who lost the last fight, I really think he ran out of gas early - mental and physical. tshadowchaser is right about the turned back, but the fight didn't end there. The Brit's gameplan could have still worked if he'd tried harder. If you're gonna try to knock the other guy out with strikes, you gotta throw some!

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I'm wondering if it's another tantrum. Maybe Ken will come back and say something like, "You guys don't take my coaching seriously, you don't listen to my ringside strategy. You obviously don't want to win, so why should I put in the time to help you lose?"

That's what I'm wondering too. It definately wouldn't be the first time he threw a tantrum.

rutherford said:
As to the Brit who lost the last fight, I really think he ran out of gas early - mental and physical. tshadowchaser is right about the turned back, but the fight didn't end there. The Brit's gameplan could have still worked if he'd tried harder. If you're gonna try to knock the other guy out with strikes, you gotta throw some!

I agree. He looked flat. I don't know if its from all the time he spent in the sauna or eating too much the night before or a little bit of both. Either way, I felt you could almost see where he quit and gave up his back just to have it be over.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:
That's what I'm wondering too. It definately wouldn't be the first time he threw a tantrum.

Yes and this is part of the reason why I do not like the man personally.

green meanie said:
I agree. He looked flat. I don't know if its from all the time he spent in the sauna or eating too much the night before or a little bit of both. Either way, I felt you could almost see where he quit and gave up his back just to have it be over.

Not sure if he gave up, or went with what he knew? I have seen people who spar (* Point and some continuous *) under a set of rules where strikes the back are not allowed. So if you give up your back they cannot hit you. :idunno::rolleyes:

He kept talking about being a fighter and a striker. Not sure, just thinking off the top of my head on a Sunday Morning.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I also would much rather see some of the training and less of the nonsence these guy do

Exactly. If I wanted to see the "nonsense", I could watch any of the other 1,000 'reality' shows on TV.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other than a few of them I am continually amazed by the low quality of fighters that they put on the show. I guess they are trying to create interesting mismatches that definately have drauma. The british gentleman last night had a very low skill set for someone being in the octagon. Not that he could not strike but his ground game was woefully inadequate. Hence the fight was an utter mismatch as the other guy's game was pretty good.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Other than a few of them I am continually amazed by the low quality of fighters that they put on the show. I guess they are trying to create interesting mismatches that definately have drauma. The british gentleman last night had a very low skill set for someone being in the octagon. Not that he could not strike but his ground game was woefully inadequate. Hence the fight was an utter mismatch as the other guy's game was pretty good.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

He just did not know what he did not know. :(

Latest Discussions