Ultimate Fighter 3

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Odin said:
No one seems to be giving the english fighters any credit....I wonder why?

lack of exposure here? they never trained with any of the "big names" in the UFC perhaps and have no "star association"? other nationality fighters get recognition if they are good enough. if they do well, they will get some recognition. If they don't, they will fall back into obscurity, unless they are endeared like some of the past TUF losers have been. to be honest, I'm suprised how many old TUF fighters are fighting on TV now...

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll throw this comment in the air.....but does anyone else here feel like the ufc is getting far too american?...I mean every fighter seems to be home grown at the moment, I only noticed this when i started watching Pride more and notice the difference.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Odin said:
I'll throw this comment in the air.....but does anyone else here feel like the ufc is getting far too american?...I mean every fighter seems to be home grown at the moment, I only noticed this when i started watching Pride more and notice the difference.

Language barriers probably make for bad television, but also I suspect these fighters had to try out somewhere in the US for a slot. That alone would probably weed out alot of foreign applicants just based on travel costs.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One reason I like Pride is that you do get a much larger ethnic mix it seems. A Japanese guy fighting a Russian guy, etc.., etc...

They also seem to carry that distinction into the ring. You see characterics from different arts in the way they hold their hands and move their feet. UFC seems like too much of the same cookie-cutter approaches. Variations on the same theme rather than true individual fighting style

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
scottcatchot said:
I have always had the impression that Tito was a big a$#hole and therefore I have not really liked him. After watching the first episode and watchimg hism coaching style... I possible should have reserved judgement.. The verdict is still out. I also am a little surprised at Ken not bringing a grappling coach, maybe he thinks he can personallyn handle that :idunno:

I was thinking the same thing about Tito coming into TUF3. Especially after seeing the clip of him with his middle fingers extended after defeating Shamrock. Now, after the second episode I've got more respect for Tito and think the finger thing may have been more of a poor judgement thing at a very emotional moment. Also, you've gotta wonder how much of the drama is made for TV.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
One reason I like Pride is that you do get a much larger ethnic mix it seems. A Japanese guy fighting a Russian guy, etc.., etc...

What?!?! UFC 58 - USA v. Canada, wasn't diverse enough for ya?

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, the UFC has recruited both for its reality shows and its regular matches mostly from the other US NHB/MMA fighting promotions. PRIDE has recruited individual fighters through its own promotions instead of other domestic ones.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Question:

1) I see that if you win your fight you are already in the semi finals. So does this mean that you do not have to fight a second time?

2) Why are team mates screwing with their own teammates? Way before the semi's.

3) Why was a deaf guy brought in with out an interpreter in the first place?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Question:

1) I see that if you win your fight you are already in the semi finals. So does this mean that you do not have to fight a second time?

2) Why are team mates screwing with their own teammates? Way before the semi's.

3) Why was a deaf guy brought in with out an interpreter in the first place?

1) Yep. The goal was to prevent anyone from getting to the semifinals without fighting.

2) They're idiots.

3) I'm betting that nobody thought of it, and he didn't ask.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Follow up Question to 1)

1a) So if you have to fight and you have already faught then what is your goal? To stay healthy and help your team. Right? Yet this is not a team sport or about the coach it about what an individual fighter can give on a specifi day.

Personally if I had the choice I would prefer to be last to fight (* Not that I would qualify - hypothetically of course *).

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Follow up Question to 1)

1a) So if you have to fight and you have already faught then what is your goal? To stay healthy and help your team. Right?

Even then, there's a good chance the teams will end up unbalanced, and that teams will vanish once the semi's start. So helping the team only works as far as it helps advance your own training.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Even then, there's a good chance the teams will end up unbalanced, and that teams will vanish once the semi's start. So helping the team only works as far as it helps advance your own training.

I agree with that. But would it not be better to have a friendly partner until the semi's, instead of someone who is out to hurt you?

I know once you get into the ring one is out to hurt the other. But outside the ring their should be a shared respect of training and working together.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I agree with that. But would it not be better to have a friendly partner until the semi's, instead of someone who is out to hurt you?

Yep, but it seems like very few of the participants think further down the line. They always end up seeming surprised that they're fighting a teammate. Work with 'em, respect 'em, but a little detachment wouldn't hurt either.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or at least don't try to 'hurt' them.

You know, every time I compete, I talk with my competition before and after the match. I don't really know any of them or anything, just trying to be friendly and gave a good time. Then when it's time, I'm trying to 'beat' them bu not trying to 'hurt' them, if that makes sense.

Once I sparred a guy and beat him...months later I happened to go to a Dojang to work on a different style of sparring. It was where he trained, and he was better than me at this other style, and we got along great and he really helped me out in picking up some tricks and such

That's why I don't watch the show other than the actually matches when I can catch them. Too many immature 'fighters' with chips on their shoulders and no sense of perspective, too much manufactured drama, not enough 'martial art' in the mixed martial arts they are doing.

OP
scottcatchot

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Too many immature 'fighters' with chips on their shoulders and no sense of perspective, too much manufactured drama, not enough 'martial art' in the mixed martial arts they are doing.

I have to agree. The whole stabbing the basketball was imature stupidity and most of the show seemed focused on that instead of the "martial side"

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
scottcatchot said:
I have to agree. The whole stabbing the basketball was imature stupidity and most of the show seemed focused on that instead of the "martial side"

And yet, the show made you happy to see him lose. It was good Reality TV . . . which isn't saying much.

OP
scottcatchot

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
And yet, the show made you happy to see him lose. It was good Reality TV . . . which isn't saying much.

Hmmm...good point, I was happy to see him lose. Oh no, I am being brainwashed and manipulated by the t.v. It must DIE, DIE, DIE.:mp5:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was good Reality TV . . . which isn't saying much.

The whole things is just "Fear Factor" without the bugs.

Toss some scorpions into the octagon with them ,or make the floor tilt and pitch and, it may be worth while watching

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Withouth the challenges, they would be forced to fill that air time with either more trainnig or more antics. I guess they chose antics.

I was glad that stupid spoiled punk got beat, and beat in a really embarrassing way :) "I'm bored and so I like to break stuff" OMG what an idiot.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Withouth the challenges, they would be forced to fill that air time with either more trainnig or more antics. I guess they chose antics.

they had antics in previous seasons... and always the alcohol :p I'm kind of happy not seeing the challenges. I prefer seeing people fight and having the people in the finals have more than one fight. I guess you could work in the challenges by letting it decide who gets the choice... I'm curious to see how Tito will choose the next contestants.