Ultimate Fighter 3

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, what did everyone thing of the kickoff of Ultimate Fighter 3? I enjoyed the Stephan Bonner fight. I like Bonner but was a little surprised at the unanimous decision. In the new series, does anyone have a favorite fighter yet? I hope to see the hearing impaired guy do well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No favorite fighter yet but it looks like this could be a much more talented group than season 2.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
scottcatchot said:
So, what did everyone thing of the kickoff of Ultimate Fighter 3? I enjoyed the Stephan Bonner fight. I like Bonner but was a little surprised at the unanimous decision. In the new series, does anyone have a favorite fighter yet? I hope to see the hearing impaired guy do well.

No favorite fighter. But I do not like either of the coaches, so not sure if I am going to spend lots of timing watching this season. I might wait for a Spike TV (* Registered Trademark *) to do a Marathon and just tape it so I can fast forward through the BS and just watch the Fights of the guys who are trying to prove themselves.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my room-mates was telling me about a Deaf guy who's in the ultimate fighting... we tried finding clips of him... apparently there aren't any that are released yet. If you know a link PM me or post it here... thanks.
Still... it'll be cool to watch I guess... not much into the he-man-macho-supreme-mines-bigger-than-yours-testosterone-filled fight fests but :idunno: it could be entertaining. :uhyeah:

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Go Canada!! Kalib Starnes did an outstanding job last night!

Looks like an interesting bunch of guys, I wonder if there will be Bible studies under Ken and Tito like there were with Rich and Matt? Seems like a very different dynamic being set up with this group.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the first episode was pretty good. I'm looking forward to next week! Hopefully it'll stay interesting.

Mike

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got a kick out of Dana saying that the season wasn't about the coaches, but about the fighters. Then, the show went on to play up the hatred between the coaches. What a coincidence that the two fighters that hate each other most are on this show!!! Yeah, right.

Even without the challenges, there already seems to be more of an us v. them attitude between the teams. I know it was only one show, but this bunch doesn't seem as buddy-buddy as UF2. Hopefully that means we won't see the 'I can't hit my friend to hard' type fights that happened in season 2.

I had to also laugh at Ken Shamrock's strategy. "We'll put our strongest against their weakest and work back from there." Ummm, Ken. That means eventually you are putting your weakest against their strongest. Also, Shamrock bringing in the body-building nutritionalist instead of a grappling expert struck me as odd. Even his fighters were commenting on this. Oh well. Hope it's a great season with some great fights.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elder999 said:
I have to admit I like Tito Ortiz's style as a coach so far, though it remains to be seen how effective it is.....

Yeah, me too. I have not seen a lot of Ken Shamrock's personality and when I got a closer look at it in the first episode I have to say...not for me. He made some strange coaching choices and comes across as being highly egotistical.

I don't have a favorite fighter yet but did like the deaf guy. Seems like he's really focused on his *ultimate* goal.

OP
scottcatchot

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have always had the impression that Tito was a big a$#hole and therefore I have not really liked him. After watching the first episode and watchimg hism coaching style... I possible should have reserved judgement.. The verdict is still out. I also am a little surprised at Ken not bringing a grappling coach, maybe he thinks he can personallyn handle that :idunno:

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
I had to also laugh at Ken Shamrock's strategy. "We'll put our strongest against their weakest and work back from there." Ummm, Ken. That means eventually you are putting your weakest against their strongest. Also, Shamrock bringing in the body-building nutritionalist instead of a grappling expert struck me as odd. Even his fighters were commenting on this. Oh well. Hope it's a great season with some great fights.

You know what bro i was thinking the same thing when he said that!lol

I liked Tito's line ''we're fighters man,if we were back in the caveman times we would be the providers'....dman skippy!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still think it's all just a soap-opera-'reality-show' so 'tuff guys' can watch something without being too embarrased, but...enjoy :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
without the challenges, how will they fill the air time? 2 choices: training, or antics. I'm not optimistic about which way it will go.... which is why I set my Replay TV and FF to the good parts.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, I want to see them training, I want to see the coaching. I don't want another 40 mins worth of "Ken and Tito hate each other"

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I feel the same way. I want to see them train and fight. Everything else is filler.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My guess is that they will fill the episodes with training. Since they have to be seperated this gives them more chance for air time. I also must say that I've been a shamrock fan for a long time and don't know much about Ortiz. After seeing 1 episode I like Tito's way of coaching/training. He's not afraid to get in and roll with anyone there. Also, it was a good choice of his to bring a boxing and grappling coach in. As for Ken, I hope he does a good job but his picks (like everyone else) were a little less to be desired.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No one seems to be giving the english fighters any credit....I wonder why?