Trying to find the perfect school but limited by time

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Felix79, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

How about finding a local Judo club? They are going to be traditional. Teaching quality is usually high. They virtually always have a kids program. And, with few exceptions, they are going to have a positive environment for beginners. Judo has plenty of real world application, particularly when combined with even the most rudimentary of striking abilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Kyokushin is a great style, so long as you’re looking for hard contact no-nonsense stuff. I think everyone should have some hard contact under their belt (no pun intended) to know what actually hitting and getting hit is like. It teaches you things about yourself that nothing else can IMO.

Me, I learned that lesson in my 20s in bare knuckle karate :)

3. WaterGal

WaterGal Master Black Belt

Some schools offer family classes, where parents and kids can take class together. This can work well, or not, depending on the school environment, instructor, curriculum, etc. Other schools will have mostly kids classes, but will let parents join in with their kid, which is almost certainly going to the kind of thing the OP described.

4. Zyk

Zyk White Belt

In a really similar situation. What did you end up settling on Felix?

5. Felix79

Felix79 Yellow Belt

Hey bro.

I ended up lovely off the **** place and it was the best thing ever. I realize now that quality instruction is paramount.

I ended up sticking around with the kickboxing club. They also train in boxing, so I a mixing it up with both kickboxing and boxing. One thing I realized is that I shouldn't be a perfectionist. I realized that this whole martial arts thing should be a life long journey. So, if this boxing place isn't perfect, if I stuck around for 6-12 months, what is the worst that could happen? I get super fit and learn how to throw punches better? That ain't too bad. I can then move on to something else later.

My advice is: find a place that is 'good enough' that fits in with your lifestyle and meets at least most of your goals. You can always expand later. I also realized I didn't like some of the grappling aspects of my old club, so I want to focus on striking now. So do what suits you.

I hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1