Want to change dojo but conflicted

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Felix79, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Felix79

Felix79 Yellow Belt

Really good point about convenience. I can also consider chatting to him about being more hands on.

I don't think he's rubbish and even if I did, I wouldn't say it. I would just go check out the other schools and not say anything unless I wanted to bail.

The more I write on this thread, the more I realize that I am not happy at this club.

I am thinking that the style is less important than quality instruction.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Felix79

Felix79 Yellow Belt

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. It makes me feel so much better about it all. I think I will speak with him about it in person rather than just straight quitting. Maybe I will call him up rather than attend the class.

I think I will change styles if i have to. I need a good teacher and not to worry about the style.

I am so sorry for all the qurstions, but we do you think it might be a good option to just quit and then spend some time really checking out all the other styles and dojo in town? There are heaps to choose from and perhaps I haven't considered some. That way I guess I wouldn't even have to tell him about the other club unless I wind up there.

Thanks again for your time and wisdom!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  3. jobo

jobo Senior Master

if you really can't stand the guy, then just leave ! I doubt he will even notice or care much you've gone. Just don't slag him off at the new club

• Like Like x 1
  4. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Do what you want to do. You owe no one anything you don't have to give a reason to why your leaving and tbh if you did leave I don't think they'd really care. He's probably had hundred of students come in train for a bit then leave that's how martial arts goes you'd just be another one of those he won't think anything of it. It may sound harsh but it's the truth

5. Felix79

Felix79 Yellow Belt

Thanks for the comment. Not harsh at all, it is good for me to hear the reality of it and obviously, I am giving too many fucks.

6. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Pretty much yes, it's human instinct to think that our actions will have a huge impact on other people but really they don't if you quit he may notice but he won't lose sleep over it and I doubt he'll hate you for it at all. He'll get on with his own stuff

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

While you are checking out another school you do not have an obligation to tell your teacher.

If you do decide to leave the school, then I believe it is good form and good manners to tell him that you will no longer be training with him. It is bad manners to simply disappear.

You do not owe him a detailed explanation. If he asks, you can simply tell him that you have found a place that’s seems a better fit for you. If he gets upset about it, or badmouths the other school, then that is a sign that leaving him is the right choice.

This might be more difficult if you had been training with him for a long time and held significant rank under him. But as a beginner, with only a few months in his school, this should not be a big dramatic event.

8. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

You can handle it any number of ways, but I would suggest A) being up front; or, B) just heading somewhere else quietly. Deliberately telling a lie is not going to be the best option. At some point, it will come back to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Welcome to MartialTalk, Felix.

It's not a big deal unless you think it's big deal. And then, it's only a big deal in your mind.

Just go check out the other place. Spend a couple days there watching, see what you think, how it might fit you and your family. And keep in mind, you're the student, the client, the consumer. You should be looking for what you want. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feeling, Martial Instructors have thick skin. If they don't, they don't last long.

And keep us posted, please.

• Like Like x 2