Train Like A Professional....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think "strength" should be separated from anything/everything else. It's just part of the whole enchilada, fellas.

But I also think, for serious Martial Artists anyway, everyone should get really strong at one point in their life - no matter how much work it takes - to see what it's like. It's different. And it helps you understand strength, and what strength can and can't do. It's also a hell of a lot of fun. Understanding strength, and how to defend superior strength, is a lot easier, and beneficial, once you have changed your strength from your norm, to your max. If you never do that, you'll be sitting there when you're old, thinking "what the F was I thinking?"

Part of being a professional is training like a Mf'r. Seriously. We're talking about Martial Artists here. Not office work. Training isn't hard. You know what's hard? Raising a family, owning a house, having a mortgage, working full time, or being in that situation and being out of work, having health problems, or your kids having health problems - and that's all at the exact same time. That's hard.

To you young, single, healthy guys. And I know there's a bunch of you here at MT. If you don't rock your training right now - F you. You're a chump.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, I will absolutely agree that not having to rely on strength is good. Yet, having strength when you need it is AWESOME!!!

Many grappling arts rely on speed. Speed does not negate the need for correctness of technique. But an excess of strength may be a detriment to speed.

Combine speed and correctness of technique with an amount of strength, it's "AWESOME."

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you need to train your strength as in muscular strength, I would rather focus on timing, off balancing, and proper technique . I often let big muscles guys try to push me and I just relax and root and then I move slightly and they loose their balance.

This. I'm already strong. Actually, at least in Aikikai Aikido, strength is or can be helpful, but can also be a detriment. The number one struggle most new students have is learning to relax during a technique and not use strength at all. I tell newer and lower ranked students that Aikido, when done well, should feel like someone attacked you and you just helped them to the ground...no muscling technique, no trying to overpower the other person....it simply doesn't work in Aikido. You need to have relaxed extension.....to be honest, I'm a really strong guy already, and I spent years trying to unlearn using strength.

I don't do any strength training...but then again, I'm 6'0" 215 pounds and built like an NFL linebacker already. I do practice yoga though, flexibility is way more important to me.

YMMV. We all train differently and for different reasons....

Mike

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a big fan of training in a very demanding way. I know it will not be for everyone and I understand that some people have work/life restrictions that inhibit their being able to train as hard as they would like to.
The thing is to be resourceful. If you have work/life restrictions that doesn't mean you can't train as hard as if you didn't. You might not be able to train as often but when you do train make the most of it. There is a difference between training hard and training often. If you can't get the same quantity of training in due to other obligations than get the most quality out of what training you can do. Quality always beats quantity.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Strength is always an advantage, regardless of the arts. This is true even in the aiki arts.
In Daito Ryu muscular strength is definitely not a factor especially in the aikijutsu level. If you are using muscular strength in order to do anything aiki then you have not grasp the concept of aiki at least in terms of Daito Ryu.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In Daito Ryu muscular strength is definitely not a factor especially in the aikijutsu level. If you are using muscular strength in order to do anything aiki then you have not grasp the concept of aiki at least in terms of Daito Ryu.

I would say the same goes for Aikikai Aikido. We talk about that all the time. Can you force a technique to work? Can you overpower someone and throw them? Sure.....but as my Shidoin and Sensei say....."yeah, that could work, but you aren't doing Aikido then"....Aikido is relaxed extension....NO tension or strength.

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am a big fan of training in a very demanding way. I know it will not be for everyone and I understand that some people have work/life restrictions that inhibit their being able to train as hard as they would like to. Still as a martial practitioner I believe you should work on your technique and skill sets, attributes such as strength, cardio both anaerobic and aerobic as well as speed, etc.

Here is a short blog post I recently wrote with some videos of professional athletes getting after it:

The Instinctive Edge

I regularly draw inspiration from working out with pros or watching them do their thing...

I like practising on my blue free standing punching bag. Since the lack of space in my apartment, this seemed like the best possible option. I am using TurnerMAX equipment for a while now. They seem to be a formidable brand and mighty affordable!

I like to sweat like a water canon which relieves my stress after having a rough day. It gives me intense pleasure, the punches and roundhouse kicks are fun enough to cramp my legs but it is definitely worth it!

Go TurnerMAX!

My friend and colleague went through this video. It seems a bit shady but does the job. I got the blue one right there in the middle! Hell... It doesn't move an inch, stands firm on the ground and almost tall as me:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am very confused. When I read the OP and throughout this thread, it seems everyone has in mind a competitive professional. Not someone who runs a school, which could also be considered a "professional" martial artist in my mind.

If you include the latter, you could be a lazy, fat *** with a modicum of business savvy and be a professional martial artist. But that's not what I gather anyone here really means.

So, we're talking about what? A professional fighter? MMAist? Boxer? The difference between a hobbyist and a professional has everything to do with time. What a hobbyist does 3 times per week, the professional does 8 or 10 times per week. They get up and work out, then they often go to their full time job and work their 8 hours, then go work out again.

Honestly, in the grand scheme, the major difference, in schools where people train along side professionals, is time. (Well, mainly. There's also talent and aptitude.)

I would never presume to say, "because I work hard while I'm there, I'm training like a professional." That is arrogant (or confident? :)). It's also insulting to an actual pro. In a place where real pros train, for someone who is not a pro to say something like, "It's what I do while I'm training that matter" would make that person look pretty foolish, I think.

All of this is not the same as approaching training in a professional manner, which commonly means that you aren't there to screw around. You are there to learn, remain on task and try to do your best.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then you professionally train what your martial art does rely on.

Which I assume is magic or something.
You also assume, incorrectly, I asked this question for myself and about my art. But at least you tried, bless you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You also assume, incorrectly, I asked this question for myself and about my art. But at least you tried, bless you.

Regardless who it applies to. My advice is sound.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In your opinion. Sorry.

Well my opinion kind of works like this.

If you train like a proffesional but without the consistency it would be like training like a proffesional but without the intensity or the professionalism.

At what point are you just sitting on the couch wearing activewear?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless who it applies to. My advice is sound.
It wasn't advice, it was a school yard attempt to ridicule, typical bully/jock behaviour which betrays your ignorance. Your opinion is that unless you rely on strength then you must use "magic" and should be ridiculed, because strength is the only thing you understand.

I think someone called Connor McGregor once said "precision beats power, and timing beats speed." But what does he know, it's not like he's successful or anything ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It wasn't advice, it was a school yard attempt to ridicule, typical bully/jock behaviour which betrays your ignorance. Your opinion is that unless you rely on strength then you must use "magic" and should be ridiculed, because strength is the only thing you understand.

I think someone called Connor McGregor once said "precision beats power, and timing beats speed." But what does he know, it's not like he's successful or anything

R6UkdH06moDI-icPZSojS0SgXGTACxLu2ywNhLY88n8VLwzQYiBGyDR1hjeeBp1EWpefDR-NfdNIpamYDbLUJ4c8znPmrUQd4eYroobZD2Z7JIBX-6zhCntcdc07j0PnXzZicg=w508-h289-nc

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am very confused. When I read the OP and throughout this thread, it seems everyone has in mind a competitive professional. Not someone who runs a school, which could also be considered a "professional" martial artist in my mind.

If you include the latter, you could be a lazy, fat *** with a modicum of business savvy and be a professional martial artist. But that's not what I gather anyone here really means.

So, we're talking about what? A professional fighter? MMAist? Boxer? The difference between a hobbyist and a professional has everything to do with time. What a hobbyist does 3 times per week, the professional does 8 or 10 times per week. They get up and work out, then they often go to their full time job and work their 8 hours, then go work out again.

Honestly, in the grand scheme, the major difference, in schools where people train along side professionals, is time. (Well, mainly. There's also talent and aptitude.)

I would never presume to say, "because I work hard while I'm there, I'm training like a professional." That is arrogant (or confident? :)). It's also insulting to an actual pro. In a place where real pros train, for someone who is not a pro to say something like, "It's what I do while I'm training that matter" would make that person look pretty foolish, I think.

All of this is not the same as approaching training in a professional manner, which commonly means that you aren't there to screw around. You are there to learn, remain on task and try to do your best.

I really admire your realistic approach!

D

Dylan9d

Thats my point, I asked a question but wasn't given any knowledge (I.e. An answer) instead I just received a question in return.

I got a smack on the *** from the mods about my remark, they seem not be able to read between the lines, thank god we are.......

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a factor in the aikijutsu, but it still plays a role in what your options are. So, you can get really good at the aikijutsu without much strength, but someone with similar training (and skill) and more strength will always have an advantage, because they're not limited to the aikijutsu versions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can see your point, Steve. I'd argue there's a difference between "training like a professional" and "training as much as a professional". One can train like a professional (their intensity and focus) for 3 hours a week. One can also train as much as a professional (their hours) with poor intensity. The professional competitors (at least the successful ones) tend to do both.

Latest Discussions