Train Like A Professional....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can see your point, Steve. I'd argue there's a difference between "training like a professional" and "training as much as a professional". One can train like a professional (their intensity and focus) for 3 hours a week. One can also train as much as a professional (their hours) with poor intensity. The professional competitors (at least the successful ones) tend to do both.
Fair warning, I am going to pick some nits, here.

I alluded to this earlier. In the context of this thread, my impression is that when the term "train like a professional" is used, it refers to an actual professional. Someone who uses martial arts as a part of their profession. This could be a cop or a soldier, but it really sounds like what people have in mind is an actual, professional fighter. Whether that's a professional boxer, MMAist, Muay Thai, K1, TKD. An actual pro athlete.

It just boils down to, I don't think training "like a pro" is the same as being "professional." Doing something in a "professional" manner is independent of the task. If you go to class prepared, on time and ready to go, you are being professional. If you stay on task, don't goof off, don't distract other people and work diligently on your own self development, you are being professional. These are all things that are independent of the task. So, if this is what is meant by "training like a professional," sure. I get it. I just don't think that "being professional" about your training and "training like a professional" are the same thing. I think they're different.

And it really seems to me that, in this thread, most people have in mind a professional athlete. If they don't, my bad. Just my impression. In this regard, you're absolutely right in that intensity and focus are part of the cocktail. My point is that time and commitment are also a fundamental part of that equation. I don't know how a school with no actual professionals could evaluate whether their level of intensity or focus rises to that of a pro. I do know that, even where people train alongside pros, if intensity and focus are similar, the main difference is commitment.

To be clear, this is just my opinion. Not intended to try and change anyone's minds.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What started as an inspirational OP seems to have turned into something a little bit different. We sure are picking some nits.

Want to know if you're a professional? Go over your taxes.
Want to know if you train like a professional? Go train with one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What started as an inspirational OP seems to have turned into something a little bit different. We sure are picking some nits.

Want to know if you're a professional? Go over your taxes.
Want to know if you train like a professional? Go train with one.
Hey, I said I was going to be nitpicky!!! :D

But, to be fair, Jenna asked some very insightful questions in post #2, which took us down this interesting road. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, I said I was going to be nitpicky!!! :D

But, to be fair, Jenna asked some very insightful questions in post #2, which took us down this interesting road. :)

Yeah, she did. Jenna always does.

And we're all nitpicky at times. I sure as heck am.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pros (professional fighters/athletes) do more than just practice. They also add strength and conditioning, nutrition, and perhaps psychology to the mix. There's also usually film breakdown. It's not just sparring and sparring drills.

It's a full time job, and quite possibly more than us 40 hours a week people.

I'd love to train like a pro. But I have bills to pay, mouths to feed, but mainly I'm just flat out not good enough. And that's ok. It doesn't keep me from giving my all when I'm on the floor.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pros (professional fighters/athletes) do more than just practice. They also add strength and conditioning, nutrition, and perhaps psychology to the mix. There's also usually film breakdown. It's not just sparring and sparring drills.

It's a full time job, and quite possibly more than us 40 hours a week people.

I'd love to train like a pro. But I have bills to pay, mouths to feed, but mainly I'm just flat out not good enough. And that's ok. It doesn't keep me from giving my all when I'm on the floor.

I would rather eat pizza and have sleep ins than train to my potential. Traini g like a proffesional is hard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
images

Latest Discussions