Blindfolded training?

TKDFromDMV_Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you done any blindfolded training? If so, how does it work, and how has that affected your martial arts skills?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you done any blindfolded training? If so, how does it work, and how has that affected your martial arts skills?
Yes. We do it from time to time. Obviously, it's not anything like the movies. We only use grips and grabs, not strikes (as attacks). It really helps students (over time) develop both the ability to identify an attacker's body position based on the attack, and their ability to "sense" an attack coming by the sounds of how someone moves. That latter requires a very quiet training space, and students learn to pick up a lot of information from scuffing of feet and rustling of clothes. It doesn't translate into being able to fight in the dark against people with night vision on - no ninja stuff here. It does translate to a better sensitivity around attacks, allowing better responses without having to look, and sometimes without having to turn their head. Think of it like the no-look passes you see sometimes among professional basketball players.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember when one of my instructors would have us sit in front of him with our backs to him. He would then procced to try to hit us on the head with a sword. We had to "sense" the attack coming, whether it be by sound, touch or sight (shadow). It was really fun, and taught be a bit about being aware of information given by the smallest details, and how to ninja roll.:D Unfortunately, I did get hit quite a bit. :confused:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do blind folded Chi Sao and sparring all the time. I also try sometimes blindfolded wooden dummy.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do blind folded Chi Sao and sparring all the time. I also try sometimes blindfolded wooden dummy.

I've done some Chi Sao in training and although we aren't blindfolded, I keep my eyes closed the entire time. I personally find it easier doing that with my eyes closed than open so I can focus on my sensitivity and feeling what the person is doing.

I like to do my forms with my eyes closed to focus on the movements without getting distracted by what's around me. It also helps me resist the urge to constantly check my footing which I can get a little obsessed about (OMG my feet aren't in the perfect position all the time!)

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Yes, not often, but we do use it. Since Wing Chun involves tactile feel, blindfolded training helps to test and experience this feel at a heightened level than when using your eyes.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever bothered with an actual blindfold, but I frequently grapple with my eyes closed, especially when I'm on the bottom. In some ways I actually grapple better with my eyes closed, but It's good to have eyes open to make sure we don't roll into other people or off the mat.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We've done it a few times...Only with higher ranking students, and only with grabs as GPSeymour mentioned. Typically, you stand in the middle of a circle and wear the blindfold. Other students will come and grab from either the front, back, or side, and then different attacks or chokes, and you have to work w the techniques without seeing her.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We also do a drill where a person stands with their eyes closed in the middle of a circle of 3 or 4 people. The people encircling them move around into random positions, and then one of them yells "attack." The person in the middle then opens their eyes and attempts to fight back and get outside of the circle of people. The people encircling the person in the middle attempt to punch or kick the person in the middle until they can get to the outside. Ideally the person in the middle reacts fast enough to move himself away from the attackers. Many students feel uncomfortable at doing this drill at first, but it becomes fun. Usuallly I can deal with getting away from 3 without getting touched but with 4 or 5 there's very little space to escape without dropping someone first.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Like others here, yes, but not often. I got hit a lot. Learned to listen better.

We also sometimes do kata blindfolded. Fascinating revelations to be had there.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I still practice my kata with my eyes closed as often as possible in both karate & Iaido. Closing ones eyes can throw off ones sense of balance, so one must focus more and visualize harder one's surroundings as well as the imaginary opponent. I find it to be especially challenging when practicing with my Shin-ken (live blade).
I've also done it while practicing kotekitai drills and kakie in karate. It helps to become more aware to your opponent's body movement and can help with your reaction time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It was a testing requirement for belts when I took jiu jitsu. what effect did it have? Most people compensated with power. We would do a blindfold circle with the person being tested in the middle, and the ukes surrounding them grabbing them in semi random fashion. As our style emphasised blow throw blow, if you couldn't see, you had a tendency to strike harder. Occasionally you would see some finesse.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shidoshi Tanaka used to make me serve him and his wife dinner while I was blindfolded as part of my training. Every now and then he'd throw a knife-hand strike at my throat to make sure I was paying attention.

I thought it was all a bit stupid until I fought in a tournament where my opponent illegally threw salt in my eyes during the finals. The ref didn't see it.

I guess Shidoshi really knew what he was talking about.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shidoshi Tanaka used to make me serve him and his wife dinner while I was blindfolded as part of my training. Every now and then he'd throw a knife-hand strike at my throat to make sure I was paying attention.

I thought it was all a bit stupid until I fought in a tournament where my opponent illegally threw salt in my eyes during the finals. The ref didn't see it.

A guy threw salt in your eyes in a tournament? Whoa, that's nuts!

And forgive me, but I hope his car broke down on his way home and he was eaten by bears.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A guy threw salt in your eyes in a tournament? Whoa, that's nuts!

And forgive me, but I hope his car broke down on his way home and he was eaten by bears.

He didn't get eaten by bears, but he got his...

I broke his tournament records. I made him say "matte" and took back the bandana he took from a friend who was also competing. And it was his first tournament loss.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I broke his tournament records. I made him say "matte" and took back the bandana he took from a friend who was also competing. And it was his first tournament loss.

This is sounding suspiciously like the plot to some martial arts movie, but not one I've seen. Anyone else able to ID the reference?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Frank,is that you?

Latest Discussions