Train Like A Professional....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of training in a very demanding way. I know it will not be for everyone and I understand that some people have work/life restrictions that inhibit their being able to train as hard as they would like to. Still as a martial practitioner I believe you should work on your technique and skill sets, attributes such as strength, cardio both anaerobic and aerobic as well as speed, etc.

Here is a short blog post I recently wrote with some videos of professional athletes getting after it:

The Instinctive Edge

I regularly draw inspiration from working out with pros or watching them do their thing...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Be good to know how to approximate this kind of training without 1. the professional coaches, 2. the professional equipment though I like that they use old kind of stuff like medicine ball or free weight etc.. Is awesome to watch these.. hardcore training!! do you train this way??

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless you're just pulling a trigger, any physical confrontation is going to rely on strength.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if your art doesn't rely on strength?

If you train in a martial system that relies heavily on structure or correct body positioning or alignment then why wouldn't you want to have great attributes to get you into that position first???

There is no system in the world that does not work better when your physical attributes are better!

Though there are systems and instructors that promote this fantasy.....

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However, I will absolutely agree that not having to rely on strength is good. Yet, having strength when you need it is AWESOME!!!

D

Dylan9d

If you train in a martial system that relies heavily on structure or correct body positioning or alignment then why wouldn't you want to have great attributes to get you into that position first???

There is no system in the world that does not work better when your physical attributes are better!

Though there are systems and instructors that promote this fantasy.....

First rule of self defense, be healthy and preferably in good shape

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Be good to know how to approximate this kind of training without 1. the professional coaches, 2. the professional equipment though I like that they use old kind of stuff like medicine ball or free weight etc.. Is awesome to watch these.. hardcore training!! do you train this way??

Hi Jenna, yes I train in a variety of ways from running, swimming, hiking, biking medicine ball, kettle bells, weight ropes, focus mitts, heavy bag, wooden dummy and more plus technical training in the martial sciences, etc. I believe in being in very good physical shape as well as mentally and spiritually sound.

I also believe in having coaches to push you to your limit rather than just relying on your own discipline to get things done. No where to hide when a coach/trainer is getting after you.

I am some where around 50ish and recently competed against a group of 34 people in multiple events where I was the oldest. (most where early twenty to thirty) I finished 3rd losing only to a former professional football player and a just out of college football player. I am not big, I am not special but I work very, very hard at what I do and try to show other people how to have a youthful energetic life. ;)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So rather than answer my question you ask me a new one to deflect the conversation into a new direction.

I think that gives me all the information about you I need, thank you.

D

Dylan9d

So rather than answer my question you ask me a new one to deflect the conversation into a new direction.

I think that gives me all the information about you I need, thank you.

You should go and read your own signature....fool
You can give a person knowledge, but you cannot make them think. Some people want to remain fools only because the truth requires change.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

You can do a complete body workout at home with no equipment at all, if you know what exercises to do.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
However, I will absolutely agree that not having to rely on strength is good. Yet, having strength when you need it is AWESOME!!!

I guess this all depends on how you train your body. Some people train for pure strength while sacrificing stamina and flexibility. All they want to do is go in the gym and deadlift as much weight as possible then go home. That's all well and good but to be a good fighter you need to have a balance between strength, stamina and flexibility. Having the strength to punch through a wall is pointless if you don't have to speed to through the punch in time to hit a moving target, or the stamina to be able to last more than 30 seconds in a fight.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think you need to train your strength as in muscular strength, I would rather focus on timing, off balancing, and proper technique . I often let big muscles guys try to push me and I just relax and root and then I move slightly and they loose their balance.

Latest Discussions