Traffic stop / Concealed Carry

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to inform early, rather than risk looking deceptive...knowing your state's laws on the matter seems like good advice!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on informing/not informing an LEO during a traffic stop the you are carrying concealed? My question pre-supposes that individual is properly licensed.

In Michigan it is supposed to be required. It also should show up on a LEAN check when they run your plates.

I always tell them, first thing.

* Holding Driver's License, Ins, Registration, and CPL in hand *

"Officer, I have a CPL for the state of Mich." Usually at that point before I can tell the officer where the firearm is, i.e. on me or back at home, they ask "Where is the firearm/gun/weapon?".

I have nothing to hide.

I prefer to tell them, as they can decide how they wish to proceed from that point forward.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Michigan it is supposed to be required. It also should show up on a LEAN check when they run your plates.

I always tell them, first thing.

* Holding Driver's License, Ins, Registration, and CPL in hand *

"Officer, I have a CPL for the state of Mich." Usually at that point before I can tell the officer where the firearm is, i.e. on me or back at home, they ask "Where is the firearm/gun/weapon?".

I have nothing to hide.

I prefer to tell them, as they can decide how they wish to proceed from that point forward.
Excellent way to do things.

Let me offer two examples as illustrations:

I stopped a car one day, and the driver proceeds to tell me "I have a gun." Nice... pucker factor rising, "Why?" I ask. "I'm a deputy sheriff..." OK... pucker easing, but "Got your credentials?" Problem solved. But my coming out with "I'm armed" by itself... kind of worrisome.

Another time, I stopped another car. Driver tells me he's got a CCW... but left his wallet at his buddies. And he's armed... OK -- things are pretty cool; he's telling me what's going on. I'm running him -- and he's not coming back with a CCW. Problem... At this point, back up is rolling my way. I secure the gun, while we figure out what's going on. Eventually, he calls his buddy to deliver his wallet, and we discover a glitch in the CCW-DMV link... if the names aren't exactly the same on both, they don't cross over properly. Note that everything was handled reasonably low key because of how the driver told me.

Let's look at the second example, and have it go a little bad. I see the gun on his waist as he leans over for the registration. He can't open the window because of a brand new (illegal) window tint job... and as he's leaning over, I see a gun. OH CRAP!! Now I'm taking him out of the car at gunpoint. He's screaming he's got a CCW -- but it's not on him, and it's not coming up in the computer. Guess what... He's hooked. He'll beat the basic charge at trial; it'll probably be reduced to failing to carry his CCW... and might get the CCW revoked. But he's been locked up. Again, this is hypothetical -- but very easy with a very slight twist in the circumstances.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent way to do things.

Thank you

Another time, I stopped another car. Driver tells me he's got a CCW... but left his wallet at his buddies. And he's armed... OK -- things are pretty cool; he's telling me what's going on. I'm running him -- and he's not coming back with a CCW. Problem... At this point, back up is rolling my way. I secure the gun, while we figure out what's going on. Eventually, he calls his buddy to deliver his wallet, and we discover a glitch in the CCW-DMV link... if the names aren't exactly the same on both, they don't cross over properly. Note that everything was handled reasonably low key because of how the driver told me.

I am a Junior and this happens to me all the time. (* Almost every officer I have told acted surprised even if they had already ran my plates. *) Some times there is a field for Junior and it is used. Other times the last name becomes some variation i.e. Parsons Jr or Parsons Jr. or Parsons Junior.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Common sense dictates that you inform the officer when asked. If you are being asked to exit the vehicle and have the weapon on your person then inform the officer (while keeping both hands visible) and do what he says, be polite (natch) and let him know you have a CWP and your card is (where-ever)...
I was driving a friend's car (with him along) and we got pulled over on a random check for insurance... I didn't know my friend had his weapon in the vehicle... but when we were asked to exit my friend promptly spoke up. The officer nodded and then waited for back up to arrive which they were going to anyway. My friend told the officer exactly where to find the weapon and we both were away from the car as it was searched. Officer did find it and placed it on the floor of the car.
Everything was okay except that my friend's insurance was mixed up and that was cleared with a quick phone call and we were allowed to go on our way.

Common sense, quiet calm interaction and full cooperation... that and nothing on your record :D will make for a smooth LEO/armed citizen encounter go very nicely. As long as you're legal you're okay.

I agree......most off duty cops will volunteer the fact that they have a weapon if they get pulled over....MOSTLY as a segueway to pointed out 'Hey, i'm a COP!' ;)

But the reality is that i'm not mentioning the gun until it comes time to mention the gun. I don't drive around with it visible from the outside, so they aren't going to see it. If they ask, i'll tell them, but i'm going to follow the don't ask, don't tell line of reasoning.

There is moment of discomfort when the guy says 'HEY, by the way, i've got a gun!' 'OH YEAH?! Why do you have a gun?' If it's not an issue, it's not an issue. If it's going to be visible, however, it's better to FIRST note that you're an off-duty cop or CCW carrier......THEN let them ask you if you have the gun on you, rather than blurting out 'GUN!'

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the problem with the "don't tell unless" approach: You may think the cop won't see it -- but he may anyway. Which may lead to a very uncomfortable situation as you're ordered out of the car at gunpoint.

Many states now include CCW information with driver license and sometimes even vehicle checks. The cop may know of the possibility that you're armed when he stops the car.

Very important advice, Brian. Know what the state requires -- including what you're required to have with you when you carry. But I will note this; in my experience, the CCW holders aren't problem children. At least not intentionally...

This is what I, as a cop want from a CCW holder:
Let me know that you're carrying. When I walk up, keep your hands in sight, preferably on the steering wheel, near the top. Then tell me that you're carrying, that you have a CCW permit, and where the gun is. That way, there are no suprises.

Incidentally... it's what I do when I get stopped, too. I identify myself, advise if i'm carrying a gun, and where it is.

Exactly. In Michigan it is written into the law what you must do and really it is also common courtesy to let an LEO know what is going on. That way nobody gets spooked.
icon6.gif
I am also totally in agreement with having your hands on the wheel whether you are a ccw/cpl holder or not. That is also common courtesy yet again and should be taught to our populace at large.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great replies here so far and I think you all are right on track with your local laws.

Here is a little tid-bit I want to add, just in case you carry and get pulled over. I carry every day and I make sure that the holster I carry in can be removed WITH the pistol if the LE would like me to surrender it. I got this from my CCH instructor and thought it was well worth pursuing vs. having a holster that would require me to surrender the pistol out of the holster. The thought behind this is, that the LE looks at a holstered pistol as LESS of a threat to him. And can save everyones nerves just a bit.

Thought I would add this little item.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Great replies here so far and I think you all are right on track with your local laws.

Here is a little tid-bit I want to add, just in case you carry and get pulled over. I carry every day and I make sure that the holster I carry in can be removed WITH the pistol if the LE would like me to surrender it. I got this from my CCH instructor and thought it was well worth pursuing vs. having a holster that would require me to surrender the pistol out of the holster. The thought behind this is, that the LE looks at a holstered pistol as LESS of a threat to him. And can save everyones nerves just a bit.

That could actually be done in my case as well since more often than not I use a shoulder rig....

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

If the officer ever told me he/she wanted to secure my weapon, I would definitely ask if I could just remove the holster along with it. I carry in the appendix position and I don't want deputy dawg trying to get a loaded Glock out of my holster...:rolleyes:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the officer ever told me he/she wanted to secure my weapon, I would definitely ask if I could just remove the holster along with it. I carry in the appendix position and I don't want deputy dawg trying to get a loaded Glock out of my holster...:rolleyes:
I'll tell you -- the answer to that one is almost certainly going to be NO.

There's a reason I'm securing your weapon; if I don't trust you enough that I'm going to secure it, YOU aren't pulling it out, either. I may let you remove and hand me a paddle holster -- but you're not unthreading a holster from your belt.

It's not personal. It's purely about my safety. But... I carry Glocks. I'm pretty confident I can manage to remove it without shooting either of us.

But, if you've got everything in order, we probably won't reach that point. In the one example I gave -- it only became a problem when things didn't match up and he didn't have his CCW on him.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
jks9199 said:
I'll tell you -- the answer to that one is almost certainly going to be NO.

There's a reason I'm securing your weapon; if I don't trust you enough that I'm going to secure it, YOU aren't pulling it out, either. I may let you remove and hand me a paddle holster -- but you're not unthreading a holster from your belt.
Oh, understood...I didn't specify in my previous post but it's belt clip holster that just slips on and off...whether that will matter or not will obviously depend on the officer in question.

jks9199 said:
It's not personal. It's purely about my safety. But... I carry Glocks. I'm pretty confident I can manage to remove it without shooting either of us.
You might, but I've met some dumbasses about whom I have my doubts.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having been through more traffic stops than perhaps any other MT member in the last two years (except for our LEO members...LOL) ... if I were in that position, I'd be inclined to show my CCW right away. The LEOs that I pass on my midnight commute home have enough unpredictable variables they have to deal with on the roads....I sure as heck don't want to be one of them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it only became a problem when things didn't match up and he didn't have his CCW on him.

Good point...If you have a CCW permit carry it on you AT ALL TIMES...Tuck it behind your drivers license...

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Michigan for example, YOU ARE REQUIRED to tell them if you have a CCW and are carrying. If you get stopped put both hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them and tell them that you have a valid CCW and are carrying. Ask them what they would like you to do.

This is exactly what you should do from an LEO's perspective. I carry almost all the time (In my house it's called "going naked" if you're not carrying) and the only persons who have noticed were current or former LEO's. If you exit your car and haven't told the officer you are carrying and he notices that you are things are going to get ugly real quick. For your safety and the safety of the officer keep your hands on the wheel and let the officer know you are carrying. I wish Minnesota would list on the QDP's and QMR's that the person has a CCP. IMHO it is STUPID that it isn't listed.

On a side note Minnesota has over 100,000 CCP out there and for the year 2007 only 2 of those persons used their hand guns to commit a crime. Statistically, persons who do carry seldom use a firearm to commit crimes which is usually the beef that most people have with allowing persons to carry.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point...If you have a CCW permit carry it on you AT ALL TIMES...Tuck it behind your drivers license...

Often overlooked and here in KS it will get you some jail time. Not to mention, you will never legally carry again.

Latest Discussions