Traffic stop / Concealed Carry

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on informing/not informing an LEO during a traffic stop the you are carrying concealed? My question pre-supposes that individual is properly licensed.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Under Utah state law (where I was issued my permit), it is a requirement that a CCW holder indicate that he is carrying to the the officer during a contact. Even if this is not a requirement in your state it just makes sense to not have a "misunderstanding."

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in New Mexico, get pulled over enough, and always let them know-even if I just have a firearm in the vehicle, never mind on my person.......

.......I'd probably put one of those electronic signs in my rear window if I lived in Massachussetstan, and turn it on whenever I got stopped:

GUN ON BOARD. :lfao:

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let the officer know right away that you are carrying and that you have a permit. Ask him how you should procede.
You'll avoid a lot of problems.

David

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on informing/not informing an LEO during a traffic stop the you are carrying concealed? My question pre-supposes that individual is properly licensed.

The few times that I've been pulled over, I was asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle. IMO though, regardless of whether or not you are asked, it may be a good idea to mention it. I say this because I'm a big advocate of doing whatever I can to put their mind at ease. If I didn't tell them, and I had something, I might wish that I had. :)

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Let the officer know right away that you are carrying and that you have a permit. Ask him how you should procede.
You'll avoid a lot of problems.

David
I've been looking at this issue on a firearms forum I frequent. The general consensus there, from carriers as opposed to LEOs, is to say nothing unless there's reason to believe the weapon is or will be exposed (getting out of the vehicle, reaching for documents, etc.). Then indicate proper licensing, concealed carry, and "How would you like to proceed?". This is counter to my intuition, but I've read some fairly convincing arguments favoring silence. I'm interested in both perspectives ...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each State usually has there own rules and requirements for ccw or cpl holders. Know your State laws and also any reciprocal State that you might be traveling through. In the State of Michigan you had better announce it and produce your license. Failure to do so could be very bad for you.
icon6.gif
Also understand that their is a good likelihood that after they run your plate they will also know you are a ccw or cpl holder and then you could be in for some serious legal issues. In the State of Michigan this is certainly the case.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here in KS, we only have to inform the LE we are carrying IF he asks us. We are required to show him our license if he requests and we are to surrender our carry gun if he requests. On a side note, if they run your license, it will show that you are a CCH holder. So this will let the LE know that the driver is a CCH as soon as he runs the license.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Each State usually has there own rules and requirements for ccw or cpl holders. Know your State laws and also any reciprocal State that you might be traveling through. In the State of Michigan you had better announce it and produce your license. Failure to do so could be very bad for you.
icon6.gif
Also understand that their is a good likelihood that after they run your plate they will also know you are a ccw or cpl holder and then you could be in for some serious legal issues. In the State of Michigan this is certainly the case.

In addition to being an open carry state, NM is a domain state, meaning that your car is an extension of your home. All of that aside, while it's not required to declare being in possession of a firearm, given the remoteness of most locations it just a courtesy that makes good sense. IF your a CCW holder, the cop is going to have a pretty good idea that you're not a bad guy.....

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always vie on the side of caution, if for some unforeseen reason, you are asked to exit your vehicle, this could cause a big problem. Common sense must prevail, it is easier to tell, and put at ease, then explain afterwards, while going back into your wallet a second time for your permit. Traffic stops rank high on the list of dangerous incidences for LEO.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, in many states the officer will know right away that you've come up as someone with a concealed carry permit. If you don't tell them up front, it may cause them concern or suspicion.

I'm curious, why would you not tell them? Provided you've done nothing wrong it only benefits you to be completly up front and try to avoid any issues from the begining.

David

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score

From the point of view of expediency it seems like it cause more grief than it wouldn't, but there is the risk it comes out obviously....

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look into your own state CCW laws, they can vary from state to state.

In Michigan for example, YOU ARE REQUIRED to tell them if you have a CCW and are carrying. If you get stopped put both hands on the steering wheel so the officer can see them and tell them that you have a valid CCW and are carrying. Ask them what they would like you to do. While NOT a specific law yet, in Michigan it will show up when they officer runs you on LEIN that you have a CCW, it's a good idea to proceed as above, but tell them that you have a CCW and are not carrying. This way it doesn't add extra stress to the officer when he suddenly discovers you have a CCW and are carrying but not telling him.

Get as informed as you can on the subject. Local laws can prohibit carrying in certain locations as well and you need to know the proper way to transport a firearm in your vehicle if it is not on your person.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this issue on a firearms forum I frequent. The general consensus there, from carriers as opposed to LEOs, is to say nothing unless there's reason to believe the weapon is or will be exposed (getting out of the vehicle, reaching for documents, etc.). Then indicate proper licensing, concealed carry, and "How would you like to proceed?". This is counter to my intuition, but I've read some fairly convincing arguments favoring silence. I'm interested in both perspectives ...

Here's the problem with the "don't tell unless" approach: You may think the cop won't see it -- but he may anyway. Which may lead to a very uncomfortable situation as you're ordered out of the car at gunpoint.

Many states now include CCW information with driver license and sometimes even vehicle checks. The cop may know of the possibility that you're armed when he stops the car.

icon6.gif

Very important advice, Brian. Know what the state requires -- including what you're required to have with you when you carry. But I will note this; in my experience, the CCW holders aren't problem children. At least not intentionally...

This is what I, as a cop want from a CCW holder:
Let me know that you're carrying. When I walk up, keep your hands in sight, preferably on the steering wheel, near the top. Then tell me that you're carrying, that you have a CCW permit, and where the gun is. That way, there are no suprises.

Incidentally... it's what I do when I get stopped, too. I identify myself, advise if i'm carrying a gun, and where it is.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great point. If you've got a CCW, but aren't carrying -- there's no harm in telling a cop that, either.

OP
Mark L

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As others have pointed out, in many states the officer will know right away that you've come up as someone with a concealed carry permit. If you don't tell them up front, it may cause them concern or suspicion.

I'm curious, why would you not tell them? Provided you've done nothing wrong it only benefits you to be completly up front and try to avoid any issues from the begining.

David
As I indicated earlier, I've sought opinions on other forums. The "why not" I've heard from those sources is that the lawful carrier hasn't always received civil treatment in some jurisdictions by those in disagreement with 2A, and has by others (thougt these are predominant). Personally, I'd hand over my drivers license and LTC together ...

Thanks to all for your opinions ...

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
When i took my firearms instructor course at GOAL, the way I've heard it goes is like this:

In the event they tell you to exit the vehicle the first question they ask anyway is "Do you have any weapons?"

You then answer, "I do need to show you my License To Carry, how would you like to proceed?" and then do what the nice officer says.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
In states where I'm required to inform, I do so. In states where I'm not (including the one where I currently live) it depends on the "feel" of the encounter...there have been times I have, and times I haven't.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Common sense dictates that you inform the officer when asked. If you are being asked to exit the vehicle and have the weapon on your person then inform the officer (while keeping both hands visible) and do what he says, be polite (natch) and let him know you have a CWP and your card is (where-ever)...
I was driving a friend's car (with him along) and we got pulled over on a random check for insurance... I didn't know my friend had his weapon in the vehicle... but when we were asked to exit my friend promptly spoke up. The officer nodded and then waited for back up to arrive which they were going to anyway. My friend told the officer exactly where to find the weapon and we both were away from the car as it was searched. Officer did find it and placed it on the floor of the car.
Everything was okay except that my friend's insurance was mixed up and that was cleared with a quick phone call and we were allowed to go on our way.

Common sense, quiet calm interaction and full cooperation... that and nothing on your record :D will make for a smooth LEO/armed citizen encounter go very nicely. As long as you're legal you're okay.