Torn...

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been offered the chance to study BJJ with one of Roger Gracie's clubs here in the UK. It fits right into my schedule, it's affordable etc... But I love doing TKD and don't want to give it up.

The classes are on different days but from a previous thread people generally don't think studying two arts is really a good idea. I asked the question about it a few weeks ago. But since then this opportunity has come up.

Should I do both or stick with TKD. I'm not giving up TKD so that's not an option.

Advice please? :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BJJ and TKD are different enough that I highly doubt it will impact your learning TKD. As long as you have the time and ability to attend classes for both, go for it.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do whatever you want who cares what other people say if it makes you happy and its doable for you then do it

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see what the problem is. Generally people see a problem with two similar arts... i.e. TKD and karate for example. But even then that's all up to you man.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
people generally don't think studying two arts is really a good idea. I
Those people don't always accomplish a lot. You're the one that has to live it. I would do it if I were you.
success-poster-quotes_14369-0.png

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done tkd for 34 years. I've done bjj for 16 of those years. I wish I had started bjj sooner. You can do both. I've met and been smashed by Roger. He is fantastic and comes from same Academy as my instructors. Trained by Carlinhos

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While training in two closely related arts can cause some confusion, that doesn't really apply to TKD and BJJ. If you've got the time and motivation, go for it.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saying that learning two different martial arts will make them interfere with each other, is one of the dumbest things I've heard. In fact, it's the opposite. There's only potential for mutuality.
If that kind of logic were true, I would suck at English and Korean alike, because developing two languages at the same time will make them interfere with the learning of each other, right? (To better the point, and not to brag by any means, I am in the top English class and always in the top 19 of my two other languages I'm learning)
The only thing stopping you here are financial issues and time. Go for it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saying that learning two different martial arts will make them interfere with each other, is one of the dumbest things I've heard. In fact, it's the opposite. There's only potential for mutuality.
If that kind of logic were true, I would suck at English and Korean alike, because developing two languages at the same time will make them interfere with the learning of each other, right? (To better the point, and not to brag by any means, I am in the top English class and always in the top 19 of my two other languages I'm learning)
That being said, Kenpo doesn't mix with TKD; so, one way is going to dominate. :cool:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
SoI should just do it. If anyone doesn't like it then it's their problem. Not mine?

Children can grow up speaking 8 languages. You can probably manage two different martial arts if you want.

You were given bad advice.

It really irritates me when people are encouraged to mediocrity.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the arts. Kem/npo does not mix well with TKD like TOD said, and does not mix well with certain soft, more flowing striking styles (at least the kempo I've learned). I could cross train in them now, but if I tried to at the beginning it would not have worked out well.

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do it. Just do it.
Man, you are lucky.

Sent from my Karbonn A2+ using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a difference between being better at one over the other. I'm just saying learning both won't detriment you in any way.
It actually can. If they are teaching two different ways to punch, you might get mixed up and do that weird elbow out punch some people do. If one (kenpo) teaches you to get in close and the other (TKD) teaches you to fight from a distance, you could, if you're aware of your fighting style use them as tools when you're close or at a distance, or you could not know which one to do and mess up when you're sparring or fighting.

Latest Discussions