Torn...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It actually can. If they are teaching two different ways to punch, you might get mixed up and do that weird elbow out punch some people do. If one (kenpo) teaches you to get in close and the other (TKD) teaches you to fight from a distance, you could, if you're aware of your fighting style use them as tools when you're close or at a distance, or you could not know which one to do and mess up when you're sparring or fighting.
You touch on the idea, that at a higher level, these methods are all part of the same thing, and that would be true, but it is the approach that makes the difference.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It actually can. If they are teaching two different ways to punch, you might get mixed up and do that weird elbow out punch some people do. If one (kenpo) teaches you to get in close and the other (TKD) teaches you to fight from a distance, you could, if you're aware of your fighting style use them as tools when you're close or at a distance, or you could not know which one to do and mess up when you're sparring or fighting.

You really can separate them pretty easily. You just do it the way you are supposed to in the class you are in at the time.

I am not sure why people think this is so hard. It happens in almost every activity.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been offered the chance to study BJJ with one of Roger Gracie's clubs here in the UK. It fits right into my schedule, it's affordable etc... But I love doing TKD and don't want to give it up.

The classes are on different days but from a previous thread people generally don't think studying two arts is really a good idea. I asked the question about it a few weeks ago. But since then this opportunity has come up.

Should I do both or stick with TKD. I'm not giving up TKD so that's not an option.

Advice please? :)

You should definitely take Bjj. Not only will it make you a more well-rounded fighter, it will also improve your ability to perform TKD (and vice versa).

Be careful though, because Bjj can be addicting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should definitely take Bjj. Not only will it make you a more well-rounded fighter, it will also improve your ability to perform TKD (and vice versa).

Be careful though, because Bjj can be addicting.

The thing is No gi and gi jujitsu is about as similar but different as two stryles can get. and yet it is pretty common for people to cross train.

I am not sure where people get stylistically confused.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been offered the chance to study BJJ with one of Roger Gracie's clubs here in the UK. It fits right into my schedule, it's affordable etc... But I love doing TKD and don't want to give it up.

The classes are on different days but from a previous thread people generally don't think studying two arts is really a good idea. I asked the question about it a few weeks ago. But since then this opportunity has come up.

Should I do both or stick with TKD. I'm not giving up TKD so that's not an option.

Advice please? :)
It sound like you have your answer and but you know people can say you cannot do multiple arts in the beginning.. people will say you can and should do multiple arts in the beginning.. it do not matter what people say to you.. some people can separate out on mats that is fine.. some people can separate out for real when autonomic stress responses will overrule much of it except what is deep down trained anyway. Thing is.. these people are not you.. only you can know what you can do, what styles are oil and water to you or what styles are vodka and tomato juice :) You will figure it out.. and but you will only figure it out if you try it for your self to see what is what beyond all good intentioned advice. Wishes to you Jx

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It sound like you have your answer and but you know people can say you cannot do multiple arts in the beginning.. people will say you can and should do multiple arts in the beginning.. it do not matter what people say to you.. some people can separate out on mats that is fine.. some people can separate out for real when autonomic stress responses will overrule much of it except what is deep down trained anyway. Thing is.. these people are not you.. only you can know what you can do, what styles are oil and water to you or what styles are vodka and tomato juice :) You will figure it out.. and but you will only figure it out if you try it for your self to see what is what beyond all good intentioned advice. Wishes to you Jx

Thanks, that was good advice. I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work out then I've learnt a lesson. If it does I'll be glad I did. If I didn't I guess I'd always be wondering. I'll try it out and see what happens. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saying that learning two different martial arts will make them interfere with each other, is one of the dumbest things I've heard. In fact, it's the opposite. There's only potential for mutuality.
If that kind of logic were true, I would suck at English and Korean alike, because developing two languages at the same time will make them interfere with the learning of each other, right? (To better the point, and not to brag by any means, I am in the top English class and always in the top 19 of my two other languages I'm learning)
The only thing stopping you here are financial issues and time. Go for it.
Not really a valid comparison; learning languages and learning physical skills are very different. But you can run into the some of the same headaches. Ever cross up similar sounding words in the different languages? I speak English and Spanish; there's a lot of overlapping words, with differences in pronunciation and similar meanings -- and some that are quite different.

I see two main problems in learning two arts at once. One is simple: we all only have 24 hours in a day, and time spent on one thing is time not spent on another, so time spent on art A is time not spent on art B. Progress may slow... or not. Problem two only comes in if the arts are either very similar or very different in basis. If underlying principles are not going to be in harmony, you're going to have problems. If, say, one art is based on relaxation and no effort, and the other is based on maximum tension and effort... you might have trouble. Or if they're too similar, you might mix things up. I'll use Shotokan and TKD as an easy example, since most will agree that there's a good bit of linkage in the two arts. Or even two forms of karate... Now, you have to keep the kata and techniques and principles straight between them, or you'll be doing Pinan 1 when you should be doing Taeguk... (I hope I got the two paired right; please take the meaning rather than specifics, if not!)

Oh, and for the OP? Go out and do it, if you have the time and can afford it. I doubt you'll have trouble confusing BJJ and TKD! :D

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, that was good advice. I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work out then I've learnt a lesson. If it does I'll be glad I did. If I didn't I guess I'd always be wondering. I'll try it out and see what happens. :)
Good lad, and please let us know how you get on yes?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're so going to love grappling.

I've done both TKD and BJJ, wish I had started both earlier.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really a valid comparison; learning languages and learning physical skills are very different. But you can run into the some of the same headaches. Ever cross up similar sounding words in the different languages? I speak English and Spanish; there's a lot of overlapping words, with differences in pronunciation and similar meanings -- and some that are quite different.

I see two main problems in learning two arts at once. One is simple: we all only have 24 hours in a day, and time spent on one thing is time not spent on another, so time spent on art A is time not spent on art B. Progress may slow... or not. Problem two only comes in if the arts are either very similar or very different in basis. If underlying principles are not going to be in harmony, you're going to have problems. If, say, one art is based on relaxation and no effort, and the other is based on maximum tension and effort... you might have trouble. Or if they're too similar, you might mix things up. I'll use Shotokan and TKD as an easy example, since most will agree that there's a good bit of linkage in the two arts. Or even two forms of karate... Now, you have to keep the kata and techniques and principles straight between them, or you'll be doing Pinan 1 when you should be doing Taeguk... (I hope I got the two paired right; please take the meaning rather than specifics, if not!)

Oh, and for the OP? Go out and do it, if you have the time and can afford it. I doubt you'll have trouble confusing BJJ and TKD! :D

Ok. Gi vs no gi. is probably the most valid comparison because they are so similar. Diffent techniques different pace. same sort of look.

And lots of people can do both and benefit from both.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Gi vs no gi. is probably the most valid comparison because they are so similar. Diffent techniques different pace. same sort of look.

And lots of people can do both and benefit from both.

Different application -- but very largely the same principles. Kind of like learning Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. They're different -- but close enough to make you wonder if you're hearing one, and close enough to manage a pidgin communication. Or maybe British English vs American English...

Your background, as you've posted, is MMA/Kickboxing/BJJ. On the striking side, those are all fairly similar foundations; they generate power in much the same way, they use similar techniques and body mechanics. Now imagine if I took you out, and tried to work a system that relies on relaxation as you strike, with the power generation coming from your toes and feet, not shoulders as in most boxing/kickboxing? Or an approach built on moving your whole body as a block, not rotation in the shoulders? That's the type of conflict I'm talking about.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Different application -- but very largely the same principles. Kind of like learning Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. They're different -- but close enough to make you wonder if you're hearing one, and close enough to manage a pidgin communication. Or maybe British English vs American English...

Your background, as you've posted, is MMA/Kickboxing/BJJ. On the striking side, those are all fairly similar foundations; they generate power in much the same way, they use similar techniques and body mechanics. Now imagine if I took you out, and tried to work a system that relies on relaxation as you strike, with the power generation coming from your toes and feet, not shoulders as in most boxing/kickboxing? Or an approach built on moving your whole body as a block, not rotation in the shoulders? That's the type of conflict I'm talking about.

I trained capoeira as well. You just learn different movements. They go ABCD whatever and you do ABCD. Then you go to the other class and they go EFGH. And you do that.

People can learn stuff.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now imagine if I took you out, and tried to work a system that relies on relaxation as you strike, with the power generation coming from your toes and feet, not shoulders as in most boxing/kickboxing? Or an approach built on moving your whole body as a block, not rotation in the shoulders?
Power generation in good boxing does not come from the shoulders. Good boxing uses relaxed power that comes all the way up from the toes and engages the whole body - legs, hips, and back.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power generation in good boxing does not come from the shoulders. Good boxing uses relaxed power that comes all the way up from the toes and engages the whole body - legs, hips, and back.
Ok, sure, but if you mess up the shoulder part, none of that can happen; so, there is diamond ring of truth to what people are saying, when they say, it is all in the shoulder. o_O

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Saying that learning two different martial arts will make them interfere with each other, is one of the dumbest things I've heard. In fact, it's the opposite. There's only potential for mutuality.
If that kind of logic were true, I would suck at English and Korean alike, because developing two languages at the same time will make them interfere with the learning of each other, right? (To better the point, and not to brag by any means, I am in the top English class and always in the top 19 of my two other languages I'm learning)
The only thing stopping you here are financial issues and time. Go for it.
Some things do interfere with each other, and make it difficult to train together. Others don't. The language analogy doesn't hold. That is something else and simply isn't relevant.

If you havent yet experienced such a thing in your short life, that's ok.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some things do interfere with each other, and make it difficult to train together. Others don't. The language analogy doesn't hold. That is something else and simply isn't relevant.

If you havent yet experienced such a thing in your short life, that's ok.

OP. That is generally a red flag regarding training. Just so you know.

Because reasons the unitiated don't understand?

We are supposed to be inspiring people.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing is No gi and gi jujitsu is about as similar but different as two stryles can get. and yet it is pretty common for people to cross train.

I am not sure where people get stylistically confused.
Yes they are but there has never been a no gi world champion that did not train first and get a BB with the gi on

Latest Discussions