Need some advice

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
Where I currently live I have two options for training. Jidokwan TKD and Judo. The TKD school is ran through a community center a mile away from home. The Judo club is a small club of about 8-10 adults and about 6 miles from my house. Both train on the same evenings on Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30pm-8pm. Both are $40 a month so very affordable.

I’m a 36 year old adult male 6’4” 205lbs. I used to train WTF TKD for 6 months about a year ago and received my yellow belt. My issue is, I’ll be relocating in two years to a smaller town in the same state that only has BJJ and ITF TKD. I’m 100% going to be training at the ITF TKD school when I relocate since ITF is what I’m most interested in when it comes to TKD. If I chose the Jidokwan TKD school near by, would that two years combined with my past 6 months of WTF skills transfer over to ITF when I pursue that? Or should I spend these two years where I am studying a new skill as in Judo and taking that skill set into ITF TKD when I relocate in two years?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. Lord Takandobu said, “If discrimination is long, it will spoil.” Lord Naoshige said, “When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten will turn out badly. A warrior is a person who does things quickly.’ Hagakure.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some Kicking skills may transfer from the Jidokwan school to the ITF school. Difficult to say. Much of the curriculum will be different and IF you develop some striking skill you may be able to advance from beginner at the ITF school more quickly than someone without skills.
IMO if you have no falling / throwing / grappling skills the value of what you will learn at the Judo school is invaluable and will serve you well even if these skills don't transfer to a striking art.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've asked this question 11 times now.

I suspect you are a troll. Consider going away.

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
Some Kicking skills may transfer from the Jidokwan school to the ITF school. Difficult to say. Much of the curriculum will be different and IF you develop some striking skill you may be able to advance from beginner at the ITF school more quickly than someone without skills.
IMO if you have no falling / throwing / grappling skills the value of what you will learn at the Judo school is invaluable and will serve you well even if these skills don't transfer to a striking art.
I appreciate your advice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider taking a hike off this thread if you got an issue. You’re the one here 🤷‍♂️
Bill dopes have a point. Asking the same group of people the same question over and over and thinking you might get different answers is kind of silly. In fact, didn't Einstein use that as one definition of insanity?

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
Bill dopes have a point. Asking the same group of people the same question over and over and thinking you might get different answers is kind of silly. In fact, didn't Einstein use that as one definition of insanity?
I’m hoping to get answers from more reputable people then before 🤷‍♂️ Why are the same ones chiming in? Y’all live on this forum?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping to get answers from more reputable people then before 🤷‍♂️ Why are the same ones chiming in? Y’all live on this forum?
The same people are answering because you asked on the same people.

And just FYI, many of the people who have replied have been training longer than you've been alive. At least one is a 9th Dan. Several are high Dans.

Last edited:
OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
Well guys I decided on the bjj school. I just purchased a 10 class punch card. I start class on Thursday and I’m training on Saturday morning followed by Tuesday the following week in that order. They have mma also on Mondays. When I get in better shape I’ll add that class as well. Never mentioned this before but I had an undefeated amatuer mma and boxing record as a heavyweight in my 20’s. Guess I’m heading back to the roots but focusing on bjj mainly. When I relocate, this current bjj school has an affiliate in my new town. So I’ll stick to training here for a couple years then decide if I wanna continue this path and join the affiliate when I relocate or just take on ITF Taekwondo for my remaining martial arts journey in the new town in two years. Thanks for the help from all of you especially the ones giving me positive advice. Those here who were negative, if you are ever in my neck of the woods we shall have a spar. Tah tah 🤗

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where I currently live I have two options for training. Jidokwan TKD and Judo. The TKD school is ran through a community center a mile away from home. The Judo club is a small club of about 8-10 adults and about 6 miles from my house. Both train on the same evenings on Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30pm-8pm. Both are $40 a month so very affordable.

I’m a 36 year old adult male 6’4” 205lbs. I used to train WTF TKD for 6 months about a year ago and received my yellow belt. My issue is, I’ll be relocating in two years to a smaller town in the same state that only has BJJ and ITF TKD. I’m 100% going to be training at the ITF TKD .school when I relocate since ITF is what I’m most interested in when it comes to TKD. If I chose the Jidokwan TKD school near by, would that two years combined with my past 6 months of WTF skills transfer over to ITF when I pursue that? Or should I spend these two years where I am studying a new skill as in Judo and taking that skill set into ITF TKD when I relocate in two years?
Well, you are built for WT/TKD sparring size/height-wise.
From my experience, most Jidokwan schools teach some version of the Palgwe and/or Pyung Ahn forms for color belts. The black belt forms taught vary from the standard Yudanja poomsae as well as some schools adding their own flavor of forms such as Soon Shin forms and multiple Koryo forms.

Since you know you are going to ultimately train at an ITF school, my suggestion is call the future school and talk it out with the instructor(s).
That said, since you are only talking 6-months of training, I would go for Judo for a different experience.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never mentioned this before but I had an undefeated amatuer mma and boxing record as a heavyweight in my 20’s.
With that level of training and expertise, I'm sure you are very good at striking and grappling. No need to get advice here - just do what you feel is best for you.

Latest Discussions