Torn...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they are but there has never been a no gi world champion that did not train first and get a BB with the gi on
Jeff Monson won ADCC World Championship in 1999 and 2005, but didn't earn his BJJ black belt until 2007.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was referring to ibjjf no gi
Doesn't IBJJF Worlds have divisions determined by belt rank even for no-gi? (With brown and black belt ranks required to be registered with the IBJJF, which is an expensive proposition.) In that case, I wouldn't expect to find non-black belts even competing in the black belt division, much less winning it.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't IBJJF Worlds have divisions determined by belt rank even for no-gi? (With brown and black belt ranks required to be registered with the IBJJF, which is an expensive proposition.) In that case, I wouldn't expect to find non-black belts even competing in the black belt division, much less winning it.
They have all belt divisions 4 no gi. Registration with them was only a hundred bucks and had to get my professor signature on a piece of paper. Ibjjf whether you like it or not has the best competitors.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They have all belt divisions 4 no gi
Well, that might explain why you don't have non-black belts winning the black belt division.
Registration with them was only a hundred bucks and had to get my professor signature on a piece of paper. Ibjjf whether you like it or not has the best competitors.
Black Belt Certification - IBJJF - International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation
IBJJF Website said:
Once the Application for Black Belt Certificate is approved, we will send an invoice via PayPal. The cost for the first certificate is $400 USD and $150 for each subsequent renewal. The paperwork will be processed after the invoice payment is received.
Paying $400 to an organization that has nothing to do with my training is bad enough, but having to pay an additional $150/year indefinitely? No thanks.

I suppose I might be willing to pay that much if I was an elite competitor wanting to test myself in the most prestigious competitions, but as it is, I'll pass.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like they raised the price since I registered for my black belt. I'm not a competitor so I don't pay yearly dues.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a jits hack at best, but I'm an observer, always have been. I see irony in this thread as the OP is about the study of jits with TKD.

Over coffee I read the IBJJF link Tony posted, poured through all of it, read stuff like "from the ages of 4 years old and up", terms like "recognized by an official sport organization," rules governing the material of your gi (yes, I realize why - grip) "unseamed patches will be removed by the gi police (gi inspectors, actually, I'm being a jerk - on purpose) specific measurements in the width of belts and placing of stripes, and the most important of all - "send us money".

The irony I see is the similarity of the OP's dilemma and the similarity of some of the big TKD corporate entities that have grown through my lifetime, with now, apparently, BJJ ones as well. This is not a knock on TKD and not a knock on BJJ, nor on their competitions, which are pretty great and certainly well established, you guys know I love both. I just don't like all these top heavy, Martial Arts Government-like Associations. Makes me want to stand and salute....then give them the finger.

So glad my teachers, some of whom have since passed, weren't part of these things and specifically warned me against them. (both in TKD and in BJJ) Sometimes I wish I was younger, but sometimes I'm glad I ain't.

Gee, have derailed this thread enough?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My late GM didn't like competitions either. he said they were for the young and those who excel at sports. I like all competitions but not all have good fighters at them. When you go to IBJJF or WTF sanctioned events you will get tested hard and at their respective world championships you will see the best.
Does it cost more? of course. Argue all you want about the rules but they are there for a reason. ever seen a finger get caught in a hole between a patch and the gi while opponent was spinning? I have and the finger was severely dislocated and broken. getting mad about a Gi checker doing their job is like getting mad at a cop for pulling you over for speeding. YOU BROKE THE LAW! IS YOUR FAULT.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, that might explain why you don't have non-black belts winning the black belt division.

Black Belt Certification - IBJJF - International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

Paying $400 to an organization that has nothing to do with my training is bad enough, but having to pay an additional $150/year indefinitely? No thanks.

I suppose I might be willing to pay that much if I was an elite competitor wanting to test myself in the most prestigious competitions, but as it is, I'll pass.

Do you win any money for that investment?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not much. The very top competitors can win a little cash from IBJJF tournaments, but once you count in the expenses of training full time, travel, hotels, medical bills, and entrance fees, most of them are probably losing money on the deal.

That would explain why many of the top BJJ competitors are heading for MMA.

Grange

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been training in multiple new styles for the past 9 months or so and I don't find it to be an issue. If anything I find them to compliment each other well. I find it harder transitioning from the style I trained in during college to these styles rather than transitioning between each of them.

Latest Discussions