This is strange...how to get around yourself

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said it was strange...

A problem I seem to be having is that I cant seem to move around my own body. Ill be rolling fine and when I go for a sweep or lock or whatever (its more so with new material) I just cant seem to pull it off. Im fine during reaction drill and what not but when rolling it becomes a problem. It really starting to frustrate me and the more Im frustrated the harder it becomes.

any tips?

B

PS-if you dont know what im talking about ask and I will ellaborate

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I said it was strange...

A problem I seem to be having is that I cant seem to move around my own body. Ill be rolling fine and when I go for a sweep or lock or whatever (its more so with new material) I just cant seem to pull it off. Im fine during reaction drill and what not but when rolling it becomes a problem. It really starting to frustrate me and the more Im frustrated the harder it becomes.

any tips?

B

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but from my experience what a lot of people have trouble with is how to move on the ground. Trying not to be flat and being able to move your hips is of vital importance when trying to pull off any sweep or submission.

The more surface area you have on the ground, the harder it is going to be to move explosively and effectively when sweeping. We do a drill where you lie on your back and place one of your feet on your partner's hip (they are standing). They then move around you (in a circular motion) and you have to follow using your foot to stay in contact and maintain proper distance. The people who try to remain with their back totally on the ground wind up exhausted and losing their position quickly. Those that just keep a smaller area of their back on the floor and use a rocking motion are far more successful.

Another problem is timing. If you try to pull off a sweep when someone is based out you very often lose the sweep and just tire yourself trying to muscle through it. If you wait, or bait them, into moving their weight in a favourable direction then your sweep will be successful.

These are just a couple of things that when I recognized them and worked on them, increased my chances of pulling off techniques when sparring.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it was strange...

any tips?

B

Not quite sure what you're asking. Are you saying that when drilling something new, you can pull it off, but when free rolling, trying to pull the tech. off is difficult?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without knowing the specifics it sounds to me that you aren't relaxing and doing the technique, you're trying to force it, so you are in effect fighting with yourself and your opponent. But my stint in BJJ lasted only about 6 months, so I may be way off.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Will do. Like what I said below and MJS's example. The drills are fine, I can do the tech but when it comes to free rolling and some one is defending against me I just cant seem to pull it off and the only way I can best describe it is the I "cant move around myself". What Eternal mentioned also may be a factor that I am not getting myself up off the mat and therefor having to exert to much effort in moving my 250 lbs ***...:p

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but from my experience what a lot of people have trouble with is how to move on the ground. Trying not to be flat and being able to move your hips is of vital importance when trying to pull off any sweep or submission.

The more surface area you have on the ground, the harder it is going to be to move explosively and effectively when sweeping. We do a drill where you lie on your back and place one of your feet on your partner's hip (they are standing). They then move around you (in a circular motion) and you have to follow using your foot to stay in contact and maintain proper distance. The people who try to remain with their back totally on the ground wind up exhausted and losing their position quickly. Those that just keep a smaller area of their back on the floor and use a rocking motion are far more successful.

Another problem is timing. If you try to pull off a sweep when someone is based out you very often lose the sweep and just tire yourself trying to muscle through it. If you wait, or bait them, into moving their weight in a favourable direction then your sweep will be successful.

These are just a couple of things that when I recognized them and worked on them, increased my chances of pulling off techniques when sparring.

Maybe this is my problem that Im not creating enough distance between myself and the mat and am therefore inhibiting my movements. is there a to work this?

Not quite sure what you're asking. Are you saying that when drilling something new, you can pull it off, but when free rolling, trying to pull the tech. off is difficult?

That is it. When running drill it works but the person is not fighting me that much but when free rolling when they are defending I cant seem to pull off the tech and have to muscle my way through it, which most of the time works but I know thats not the point plus my instructor (who ties me into a pretzel anyway) absolutely hammers on me when I try to use muscle. Do you have any tips?

B

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this is my problem that Im not creating enough distance between myself and the mat and am therefore inhibiting my movements. is there a to work this?

That is it. When running drill it works but the person is not fighting me that much but when free rolling when they are defending I cant seem to pull off the tech and have to muscle my way through it, which most of the time works but I know thats not the point plus my instructor (who ties me into a pretzel anyway) absolutely hammers on me when I try to use muscle. Do you have any tips?

B
The most common mistake I see amongst beginners (myself included) is that we tend to have too much surface area in contact with the floor, making it very hard to be fluid and dynamic. Once we try to "stay small" and off our flat backs, techniques become much easier.

Drills for working on this? Like I said, practicing the foot in hip with a partner is a huge one. Also get good at "shrimping" or escaping your hips. This is a drill that can be done across the floor.

Do NOT let your partner flatten you out, keep moving, don't let them establish position. The more they are entrenched in a good position the harder it is for you to escape. So remember, stay off your back, stay small, and keep moving!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One fairly universal thing is that people tend to think of the technique, which is the last piece, and ignore the middle. Angles, control, pressure, those are your important pieces, not the technique, which comes out of that.

If you are in guard you're trying to pull them forward, break there balance, and pop your hips out. Until you get that you can't sweep them. If you are flat on your back and they have good balance they aren't going anywhere.

Same as if you are in someones guard, if they have a underhook, your heads up by there shoulders and there hips are out, you're not going to pass until you do something about that. You need to get control on the inside, get on top of them, flatten them out, stretch them out and then get your angle on them first, once you do that passing is not hard, until then your not going to pass on a skilled opponent.

I'd suggest focusing on your setups and control for a while, rather then techniques. But remember that if you are holding a position, you are not really controlling them, there needs to be pressure somewhere, and they need to be uncomfortable, off balance and being forced into moving in a way that helps you.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
One fairly universal thing is that people tend to think of the technique, which is the last piece, and ignore the middle. Angles, control, pressure, those are your important pieces, not the technique, which comes out of that.

If you are in guard you're trying to pull them forward, break there balance, and pop your hips out. Until you get that you can't sweep them. If you are flat on your back and they have good balance they aren't going anywhere.

Same as if you are in someones guard, if they have a underhook, your heads up by there shoulders and there hips are out, you're not going to pass until you do something about that. You need to get control on the inside, get on top of them, flatten them out, stretch them out and then get your angle on them first, once you do that passing is not hard, until then your not going to pass on a skilled opponent.

I'd suggest focusing on your setups and control for a while, rather then techniques. But remember that if you are holding a position, you are not really controlling them, there needs to be pressure somewhere, and they need to be uncomfortable, off balance and being forced into moving in a way that helps you.

One of the most prevalent problems I see on the ground is not being in the proper position and in control before attempting to execute a technique.

Something I cannot over stress is:
Position
Control
Execution

This it true in the standing game as well as the ground but even more so in the ground game. In order to be effective and efficient you must move into the proper position and be in control BEFORE attempting to execute. If attempting to execute the technique to soon then it becomes a strength move rather than a leverage move and becomes much harder if not impossible to perform.

Position and control is far more important than the execution.

Danny

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

B

The thing with rolling, is that its really like a game of chess. You need to think at least 2-3, maybe more, moves ahead of your opponent. Try working on set ups. In other words...lets say you want to go for an armbar. Trying to force their arm into position is really going to come down to who is stronger, and you also run the risk of making yourself more tired. Try things that'll set them up to expose their arm.

As for trying to out muscle...sure I've done it, both when I've attempted to put a submission on and when I was fighting against the other guy who was trying to put one on me. However, I try to rely more on technique and position over always using strength.

I hope this helped. :)

Mike

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you are using to much strength to obtain position? Try to pay closer attention to your hips and stomach. Instead of "reaching around" to take the back with your foot, then leg, etc; concentrate on maneuvering the hips and stomach around your opponent.

Have you ever taken a Ginastica class? Ginastica is a yoga-like exercise that is based around animal movements. This might help your movement ability.

Dagney

Latest Discussions